[PGT] Canucks @ Oilers (i.e., the DeSmith apology thread)

Iron Man

17 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Kuz has 13 goals since the trade, Mik has done jack shit scoring wise.

Lindholm was brought here to be our defensive 3C.

Bonus if he can play PP2 or 1?  With Petey and JT Miller ahead on our C depth chart; no one should be surprised he is scoring at a 35 point pace.  

He looks good to me!

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

And the last 20 games were played a lot without Demko. And we still maintained our pace. Dang! 

Think that the last 20 games were played at a less hectic pace, which would have benefitted the team. 
But yes quite impressive really...

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Think that the last 20 games were played at a less hectic pace, which would have benefitted the team. 
But yes quite impressive really...

It definitely felt that way spook. Almost too slow! Luckily I had Abby Canucks games to fill the gaps in between.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

It definitely felt that way spook. Almost too slow! Luckily I had Abby Canucks games to fill the gaps in between.

Cheers amigo. It has definitely felt like ages between the games compared to most of the season. 
Really pleased for you all, that you get to follow the prospects more closely now after they relocated the baby Canucks to Abby. 
It also give the rest of us a lot of info on the progress of the youngsters. 😊👍

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Paterson's piece which showed Canuck point production through the season suggests consistency is there and that fans have no special reason for angst over the past 25 games. My issue with his conclusion is that it suggests the same lineup played throughout the season, that the competiton was consistent and that the schedule had a neutral influence. 

Injuries: We can all smile that for once the team went thru a season relatively injury free. Soucy, Demko and Joshua likely the most impactful. The club should enter playoffs will all hands on deck. Does EP40 have a undisclosed injury?

Roster changes: Allvin has been busy. Biggest changes were with the d-core as the season began. Soucy's injuries have limited his assessment but he looks good. Of course Zad's addition has great potential in Cup play. His game against the Oilers could foreshadow his full potential. Lindholm's arrival solidifies the C position at the expense of Kuz who is regaining his scoring in Calgary. Combine that with the other pieces and it cost a lot. Scoring aside when I look at Lindholm I always think of the impact Manny Malholtra on the 2011 roster. IMHO Lindholm has that potential impact. 

Coaching: the team consistency is the result of Rick Tocchet and his coaching team bringing a culture and on ice game that is clearly superior. In the short space of Boudreau's and Green's tenure fading away this coaching group simply stands out. Almost to a man the Canuck players have had career years. Particularly Joshua, Garland, Juulson and yes, even, Meyers have turned their careers around. 

Why the worry? It centers on Petey and his line. His ppg has dropped off since the All-Star break. His classic one timer off the half wall on the right side has to a degree disappeared. I would certainly argue that his game has grown outside of the ppg. He is a more complete player. Who does EP40 play with in Cup play? Mik has struggled thru the season but hopefully he is a wild card that pays off in playoffs. His game is getting stronger and his looks are occurring more often. 

Quinn Hughes: Our Norris champion. While I question the various challenges experienced by the team thru the season Hughes has been the beacon of consistency. Fans talk about Demko stealing games. How about we add Hughes to that discussion. How many points have he added this year by carrying the team when required? He is a generational talent the likes of which the Canucks have never seen before.  

What a great and well written and argumented post @Boudrias. While agreeing on all points, I guess, one will have to draw a line somewhere in how deep we go into details. 
There is definitely an argument to be had for lighter schedule/rest in the 4th quarter, and we can probably all agree the team looked more capable of scoring throughout the first 2 quarters of the season. 
But if Tocchet has been able to close ranks defensively compared to previously, then a massive hats off should come Tocchets (and Foote/Gonchars)way. 
A massive call was made by Tocchet refusing to play Kizmenko, and having him shipped out for Lindholm. It looked less stellar during the start of his tenure here, but maybe the wee rest and healing up, was what the doctor ordered. 
I still hope, he'll be able to play with Petey and have Bluger as our 3rd line C instead. 
Time will tell... 

Just so damn happy we are going to the play offs again. Its been a while....

• Cheers 4

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Lindholm was brought here to be our defensive 3C.

Bonus if he can play PP2 or 1?  With Petey and JT Miller ahead on our C depth chart; no one should be surprised he is scoring at a 35 point pace.  

He looks good to me!

I think we haven't seen all of what Lind has to offer hopefully in the playoffs.  But I'm worried that he may price himself out of the 3C contract range ie a faceoff only player.

• Cheers 4

9 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think we haven't seen all of what Lind has to offer hopefully in the playoffs.  But I'm worried that he may price himself out of the 3C contract range ie a faceoff only player.

I hope he does price himself out with a stellar performance for us 😁

• Cheers 4

5 minutes ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

That's amazing. I wanted to go, but was looking at flight costs from Toronto to Edmonton and it was almost $700. I was like nope not gonna happen

Yeah - save it for when we meet Winnipeg in the WCF !!  🙂

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

I hope he does price himself out with a stellar performance for us 😁

Yup, me too. We can't even afford him at $5 mil. There would have to be major changes to incorporate him in the line-up ... and then what as a 3rd line center? We should be focusing on a winger for Petey first and filling the RD position. That 3C concern comes after that imo. We already have Suter and can circle back on Blueger. We also have Raty and Sasson in the system and other UFA's to choose from.

Better off getting our value on him having a great playoff.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1