[PGT] Canucks @ Oilers (i.e., the DeSmith apology thread)

Iron Man

2 hours ago, coolboarder said:

Eastern teams do not even leave their time zone ever for 3 rounds.  Will always be an advantage in the Final even if they travel.  It is matter of how they recover well with some energy while we're depleted out of those energy.

Eastern teams start playing games at 10:00 - 10:30 their time when in Vancouver, games scheduled to 1:00am last night for example, that's not as easy as playing earlier.   California same thing except they like 7:30 starts (travel to games go figure), so the puck drops around 10:45est.   Going an hour isn't the end of the world, especially if it's down an hour (7:00pm to 6:00pm).   It's not as bad as your making it out to be.    And by your logic we'd be better off playing Vegas than NSH, purely on travel.    It's harder for teams to fly WEST to play then EAST to play, that's a fact. 

Maybe you'd be  surprised if you go back and look year to year, what teams actually travel the most and put the most miles on.   Hint it's not Vancouver, although up there often enough, we are also right there with a group of teams that also do it.   Sometimes we aren't even in the top five (schedule makers pay extra attention to avoid silly routes with us, where other teams are sent all over the place back and forth).    One year not too long ago, it was COL go figure, usually it's a CALi team.   Or EDM.     Don't see a big difference between been in the air for one hour or two hours.   Most of it's the hassle of boarding and waiting and leaving etc.     Van to WNP now that's pretty far.   The rest meh.   TO to FLD or MTL or OTT to FLD, isn't exactly close either. 

Vancouver definitely doesn't have an advantage or disadvantage as far as the teams in the West go.    WNP has it worse id think.   They are close enough to the East to consider re-alignment.    Grew up with Detroit and TO in our conference.   And with 21 teams, we played each other a lot more too.    With 32 teams everything is much more condensed, maybe there was a time we could bitch about travel, that times long gone now, too many teams in the same boat.  

Edited by IBatch

22 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Soucy and Zadorov changed our D-corp.   We need both.   It's a big intangible, literally Big, having Myers, Juulsen.  Coles not a big dude really but in today's NHL he's not small either.   It's also really nice to see our defense big again.    Soucy and Zadorov were very good last night.   Myers made a great play too.    The leagues smaller then it's been since the late 80's,  early 90's as far as forwards go.   Having those big bodies to wear others down is going to be huge for us. 

I find bigger bodies don't get hurt as easily also, They do the hurting.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 2

6 hours ago, CaribouCanuck said:

I’m so proud of DeSmith, after struggling recently he bounces back in the most important game of the season of all games. 

it seemed really like the Oilers took notes of DeSmith’s struggles in those previous games and they tried really hard to recreate what happened by trying to overwhelm him

early.. but He was on his game. 

Yea, man. Coilers were 'DeSmittified' in the first period. Good on ya'!

6 hours ago, HKSR said:

Such a nice change to have hulking beasts for defencemen. 

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

gotta find a way to re-sign zadorov.. just watching him casually bowling ppl over is worth it alone

Yep. Agreed. Love Zads. Dude wants to be here. Get 'er done JR/PA!

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Soucy and Zadorov changed our D-corp.   We need both.   It's a big intangible, literally Big, having Myers, Juulsen.  Coles not a big dude really but in today's NHL he's not small either.   It's also really nice to see our defense big again.    Soucy and Zadorov were very good last night.   Myers made a great play too.    The leagues smaller then it's been since the late 80's,  early 90's as far as forwards go.   Having those big bodies to wear others down is going to be huge for us. 

Management knew we needed big bodies to further compliment our guys. JR/PA's plan be working out. 

Aside from needing to bring back some key players in the off season; I'm sure they're looking' to somehow get a scoring winger for Petey. To me, that's really the only thing missing. But as of now. I could care less about that. We've got a great line up; playoff ready and I'm freakin' sooooo excited for the second season to start.

Go Canucks Go!!!!!:towel:

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

To all the Lindholm haters:

He's fine without the puck and on faceoffs but he was a black hole with joshua and garland. That line struggled to cycle with him and got outmuscled a lot in front. With blueger that line is a two-way with great control. 

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Really awesome to see teammates care for each other. 

Also not concerned that McDavid didn't play as I think Miller is very good at shadowing him and limiting his offence. Our bottom nine I feel are better than Edmontons.

• Like 3

Glad to see LA or Edmonton go out in first round hopefully with one of Dallas or Vegas. 
LA seems like bad matchup for us, obviously Oilers aren’t but don’t want to be in a seven game series with McDavid and his refs, our PK just hasn’t been great. 
On the brighter side man Lindholm looked good. Was hoping he would score so that those who only look at the scoring line to evaluate a player would get off him.  So active and aggressive on the PK, some great passing and solid physical play. Having him between Joshua and Garland is something I have been waiting for. Give those 2 more puck possession time and a guy with a history of solid offence.  That is a third line that will give teams fits.

Mik’s hands of stone are even worse than the Honey Badger’s. 

• Cheers 3

7 hours ago, Mando27 said:

Oilers are a soft team, they are going to get dummied in the playoffs.

You could clearly see that they're used to getting favorable calls.  They rely on their pp.  Whine a awful lot.  Unfortunately... Don't like to compare but they remind me of our 2011 team.  Really, really skilled but crumble when leaned on by a bigger team.... Get frustrated, whine to the refs for calls.  That's why the 2011 team wasn't liked outside of Van.  The Coil won't be like outside of Deadmonton.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Lindholm was excellent tonight. When hes gone its going to be a big loss, so good on draws & trustworthy in matchups.

I agree. Hopefully he loves Van and he and his agent try to make signing here a priority.

Probably unlikely but that's what I'm hoping for. I have a lot of confidence in our management team. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Steamer4GM said:

Some of you may have seen my goofy post about Canucks and numerology and FOURs the other night after Brock got his 40th and Garly played his 400th...

Tonight we dispatched the Coilers for the 4th time in a game where 4 goals were scored

Coincidence?

Oh I think NOT

And the word goal has 4 letters in it too

Just sayin'

🤣

Nvm

Edited by Redhdlois
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Darius said:

For those still lamenting about Kuzmenko : would he have even seen the ice in the last 10 minutes.  Guess who was out there closing out the game down the stretch

Aye he probably would........: from the press box....

• ThereItIs 1

8 hours ago, Fan Abroad said:

This. He bobbles the puck or shoots it wide or into the crest. It is like Hanson of old, breakaway from our blueline and you stand up to cheer until you see it is Hanson so you sit back down and enjoy your food. Nothing to see here folks

If Mika worked as hard as Hansen, he would be hailed here. he was a proper 3rd liner with speed. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, bertuzzi44fan said:

Glad McMuffin wasn't playing,we were spared by fate,lol.

I think McDavid asked not to play.He couldn't face the post game interview after his team got beat once again by us.  This way they have an excuse for the loss, and he is sparred being seen crying on a national broadcast.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1