[PGT] Canucks @ Oilers (i.e., the DeSmith apology thread)

Iron Man

7 hours ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

DeSmith redeemed himself for some of those late season less than stellar performances.

Definitely on his game tonight.

Team is still starting too slowly... they give the opposition to many opportunities in the first 10 minutes.  Same situation tonight.

Overall it was the third and fourth lines were the keys to this win... they played extremely well and kept the momentum on the Canucks side from the midpoint of the 1st.

Didn't like the collapse to the net in the last few minutes of the third... would have liked to see more pushback... but they got the job done.

You can think of it as Van starting off slowly, or it could be that the Oilers came out and gave 95% effort right off the bat knowing that they had played last night and that their best chance to win is to get an early lead.  Van knew they would do this and just tried to weather the storm and let them tire themselves out and then strike when they get their chances, which is what they did.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t, but both teams have strategies.  This isn’t a game of solitaire.  

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

But but but.... The oilers are a different team compared to the beginning of the season... You can't count those first 3 wins 😂

Can we count this one or is missing Mcdavid the next excuse? 

Truth is, we own those guys. 

It's definitely being used as an excuse that McDavid wasn't there. Can't count this one, sorry. The season series ended 0-0 with 4 games being nullified!

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Sativika said:

Yea, man. Coilers were 'DeSmittified' in the first period. Good on ya'!

Yep. Agreed. Love Zads. Dude wants to be here. Get 'er done JR/PA!

Management knew we needed big bodies to further compliment our guys. JR/PA's plan be working out. 

Aside from needing to bring back some key players in the off season; I'm sure they're looking' to somehow get a scoring winger for Petey. To me, that's really the only thing missing. But as of now. I could care less about that. We've got a great line up; playoff ready and I'm freakin' sooooo excited for the second season to start.

Go Canucks Go!!!!!:towel:

It's literally part of our identity now.  Other teams and media identify that we have huge hulking defencemen along with the likely Norris winner this year.  Our defence is gonna be a force to be reckoned with these playoffs.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Nucker67 said:

Oh yes, now I remember. He missed that empty netter. It's almost as if Petey's skills have vanished. He used to do some very skilled things with the puck. He can't seem to hang onto it now, can't hit the net. If it's an injury, then he should be resting for the playoffs.   

Just enjoy the win bro. Petey will come around. Not sure why he's in a funk but I have confidence

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

Louie DeBrusk. 

Hard to believe the producers  let this stuff go on repeatedly. It comes across as amateurish.

tbh I think they have trouble finding someone who wants to ride shot gun in Scott Oake's jock strap, Louie- not the sharpest I think if you sae a speech at a wedding ever in your life you cn do what Louie does 

2 hours ago, Sativika said:

Yea, man. Coilers were 'DeSmittified' in the first period. Good on ya'!

Yep. Agreed. Love Zads. Dude wants to be here. Get 'er done JR/PA!

Management knew we needed big bodies to further compliment our guys. JR/PA's plan be working out. 

Aside from needing to bring back some key players in the off season; I'm sure they're looking' to somehow get a scoring winger for Petey. To me, that's really the only thing missing. But as of now. I could care less about that. We've got a great line up; playoff ready and I'm freakin' sooooo excited for the second season to start.

Go Canucks Go!!!!!:towel:

If they could get Mika swapped for a scoring winger. We'd be set....

38 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Trolls.

AA115299-0490-4DC2-B205-12EC6EEF4099.gif.513d28b0323aee63c66c452002ee8bef.gif

You won't get any of them for this game.  The Canucks put on a clinic and our defencemen ragdolled the Oilers.  I am a bit surprised none of them have come in here talking about how if Mcdavid played it would have been different.

• Cheers 2

44 minutes ago, tas said:

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oilers/oilers-cant-beat-canucks-yet-but-say-they-will-when-it-matters

a little piece of bulletin board material to keep in our back pockets just in case by some fluke edmonton actually makes it to round two. 

Haters gonna hate and Ainters gonna Aint.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Great win by the Canucks!

First Star: Canuck coaching who have instilled a structure that wins games. Oilers were largely boxed out and the Canuck forwards in the high d-zone were picking up pucks extremely well. DeSmith saw most shots. 

Second Star: the Canuck physical game. Meyers, Zad and Soucy stood out. Mission critical come playoffs. 

Third Star: Lindholm: for all the shit thrown his way he played a dominant game. #29 Oiler didn't know what to do. 55% on FO's and moved play up ice well. His game continues to get stronger.

The player I am watching with interest is Mik. He is getting a lot of looks and was robbed of a sure goal last night. If he gets hot in playoffs it will be a whole other dimension for the Canucks. But that can be said for the entire offense as they have treaded water for almost 20 games. Top 6 were quiet last night but the offense is ready to pop. Demko back in net to finish the season. Canucks are a real threat in the West. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

Zadorov and Soucy are huge for us (pun intended). Many of us here have known for some time how important it is to have some size and physicality in the line up. Teams aren't so scary when we have a response....as a matter of fact, I'd say teams are a little more scared of us these days.

Miller too. That snarly edge is so important in the playoffs. Pushback. Even Myers' game was more tuned in to that last night.

It's a fine line because refs tend to really "notice" everything this team does while allowing some other teams a bit more freedom to hack and whack. But the battle level is there and it's refreshing. 

The "culture" has changed. And Miller really was the one leading the charge in that. No more accepting losses with shoulder shrugs and "oh well's" that give credit to good teams over there. This team is good and that's where the focus is.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Zadorov and Soucy are huge for us (pun intended). Many of us here have known for some time how important it is to have some size and physicality in the line up. Teams aren't so scary when we have a response....as a matter of fact, I'd say teams are a little more scared of us these days.

Miller too. That snarly edge is so important in the playoffs. Pushback. Even Myers' game was more tuned in to that last night.

It's a fine line because refs tend to really "notice" everything this team does while allowing some other teams a bit more freedom to hack and whack. But the battle level is there and it's refreshing. 

Great points. I did notice Myers had less chaos that usual last night. He and Zads seemed to know just how far to push it last night. But Edmonton just dives and embellishes everything, it's pathetic. Even Soucy had a more bounce back and solid game last night. Hughes looks like he's a kid in a candy store with Playoffs looming. At times he was like a Ferrari and everyone else was Skoda's. Because it's been a while since we've been in the playoffs. Traditionally the refs sort of tuck the whistles away in the playoffs yes? Great game for the players to get back to good habits. And a great win. Oh and yes. Lindholm was noticeable for all the right reasons last night. Tocc seems to trust him with the important face offs, along with Miller.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

We all know that playoff hockey is not Cup play. Canucks showed a physical side against Edmonton that all opponents will have to worry about. Not just that they are big and physical but also that they all have decent speed. We all are used to Hughes sipping up and down the ice but just look at Meyers and Zad from last night. Zad has been activated more and more in recent games. What does Van coaching have hidden up their sleeves for playoffs? 

Canucks beat the Oilers in all aspects of the game last night. Look at the TOI. Tocchet got the victory and spread his ice time out very nicely as the bottom six picked up time. Huggy did not hit 22 minutes which is unusal for him.  

• Like 3
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Who was the color commentator.. 

Haha i laughed so hard when they were  saying Z did a high hit cloth line and threw a chicken wing. Replay showed clean hit... 

So biased... HNIC staff was so sad tonight

Same guys who praised E. Kane for punching Soucy a couple of times after a clean hit.

I had to remove my headphones during play stoppages. Just listened to the play by play.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Lindholm was excellent tonight. When hes gone its going to be a big loss, so good on draws & trustworthy in matchups.

I believe and with good reason to that Lindholm will be resigned along with Big Zeke, Meyers and Honker. Throw Joshua into the mix as well. All depends on money and term of course but PA/JR seem to be wizards on most of their moves so far. Now if they could squeeze Honker under $6.75M AAV, Big Zeke under $5M, Dak under $2M and Lindholm with a 2-year "show me" contract (YES, I HEAR THE LAUGHTER FROM MY PLACE) then we would be brushing off a spot on sidewalk outside the arena for a statues in the future.

I expect a player or two moving out or not being on the roster at all to add a bit more cap space, exciting times Canucks Nation, exciting times indeed.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

I believe and with good reason to that Lindholm will be resigned along with Big Zeke, Meyers and Honker. Throw Joshua into the mix as well. All depends on money and term of course but PA/JR seem to be wizards on most of their moves so far. Now if they could squeeze Honker under $6.75M AAV, Big Zeke under $5M, Dak under $2M and Lindholm with a 2-year "show me" contract (YES, I HEAR THE LAUGHTER FROM MY PLACE) then we would be brushing off a spot on sidewalk outside the arena for a statues in the future.

I expect a player or two moving out or not being on the roster at all to add a bit more cap space, exciting times Canucks Nation, exciting times indeed.

Trade Mikheyev and we can nearly bring back everyone.

• chaos 1