[PGT] Canucks @ Oilers (i.e., the DeSmith apology thread)

Iron Man

12 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Those who refer to McDavid's absence.....will have a point but it also points to the fact that they're very much reliant on him and individuals don't win games, teams do. Draisaitl was a non factor without his ride or die. 

We're "missing" Petey from the scoresheet and our #1 goaltender. But the team is stepping up and different people are contributing. Matters.

Oilers have 2 losses in a row....4 of 7 in April. They're a McDavid away from being quite average at best.

For sure on this. We didn't have Demko and our secondary guys lifted us last night instead if our stars.

It balances out any absences. 

Than was a clean game. Sure there were errors but they were one and done for the most part. 

Just want to say something that is taken for granted: Quinn's ability to settle any pass or stray puck that comes at him. Doesn't matter how erratic he makes it takes it like it was saucered.

When he retires the league should name a gold glove award after him. 

Edited by Inkidu

14 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I don't think we can afford those last two guys without moving Mik, Garland, or Boeser. I can't imagine a scenario where they sign Lindholm. A 6.5 or 7.5 million dollar 3rd line center is crazy. We'll be hard pressed to sign a 2RD, a top 6 winger, and a 3LD, plus Joshua and Hronek.

Again, ic rather keep zads, Myers, Joshua and retain other guys than overpay Hronek

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Hronek is going to be the interesting one. With Hanifin coming in at 7.35 x 8 I don't think the Canucks will go higher than that.

Ideally they keep;

Hronek

Joshua

Lindholm

Zadorov

Then see if we have enough to make Tanev work, or else Myers, but it'll be tight for sure.

15 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I don't think we can afford those last two guys without moving Mik, Garland, or Boeser. I can't imagine a scenario where they sign Lindholm. A 6.5 or 7.5 million dollar 3rd line center is crazy. We'll be hard pressed to sign a 2RD, a top 6 winger, and a 3LD, plus Joshua and Hronek.

Very logical and sober analysis and viewpoint.  Very well stated!

I especially agree - along with most "normal" Canuck fans - with your conclussion re Lind-🏠 and likely why PA/JR tried to unload him at the TDL.   As for Big "Z", it would certainly be unfortunate to lose him and hopefully they can do something to entice him to stay on board as he's been a positive asset for the team.

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Again, ic rather keep zads, Myers, Joshua and retain other guys than overpay Hronek

......................................especially since he is supposedly seeking $8,000,000.00/yr !    Holy Smokes!

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Some on here saying we should have traded Mik instead of Kuz.

Speculating here, but I think it's possible Calgary preferred Kuz over Mik.

We wanted Lindholm so it cost us Kuz.

Also the coach actually plays Mik and kept scratching Kuz. He would be sitting in the stands.

I think Lindholm will be of much more use to us in these playoffs than having no Lindholm and Kus watching from the stands.

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Very logical and sober analysis and viewpoint.  Very well stated!

I especially agree - along with most "normal" Canuck fans - with your conclussion re Lind-🏠 and likely why PA/JR tried to unload him at the TDL.   As for Big "Z", it would certainly be unfortunate to lose him and hopefully they can do something to entice him to stay on board. 

We didn’t try to trade Lindy at the TDL. We got him to play the shutdown role (while still putting up points) against other clubs’ top line. He did exactly that last night. Nothing for Dryer Cycle while Lindy got a point. Now healthy we are seeing Lindy dominate his matchups. This allows Tocchet to play Petey and Miller more offensive minutes. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Just now, RU SERIOUS said:

......................................especially since he is supposedly seeking $8,000,000.00/yr !    Holy Smokes!

Yeah. I think we should trade Hronek and get something back for him. I think he costs too much for what he brings.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

I've been very critical of Lindholm as of late, but I do want to use this time to praise Lindholm a little. He may not be scoring, but he is making some kind of a difference with the PK and defensive zone when he's healthy.

I thought he had an excellent game last night.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

Thing is, Demko likes to play and is our #1 so there's a fine line between giving him the net and allowing him to rest. 

I don't know that we have a whole lot to b about in regard to goaltending and how that's handled.

Exactly this. We made the smart decision and gave DeSmith the opportunity to tune-up and get ready for the playoffs. 

Nothing to b about at all. Played out the way it should have.

2 hours ago, KFAN said:

Well, for my only live game of the year, that was a pretty fun one to be at. Pretty amazing how many Canucks fans there were at the game and in restaurants  and  bars. Our boys did well. DeSmith made good sav3s when he needed to. Joshua hitting the empty net was gold.

How many Canucks fans do you think there were there?

16 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I would think that moving Mik is at the top of Alvin's to do list and I highly doubt he would offer Lindholm

$6.5m-7.5m.  Like you said, that would be crazy.  Along with Myers + Cole that is $18.6m and there are

other UFAs that will likely leave, as well as the carry over of Mr. LTIR.  We have a savvy management

team now, so I am confident they will make improvements on our team.  Hopefully we will see a couple

of Abby guys stepping up at next season's training camp.

• Cheers 3

4 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

But but but.... The oilers are a different team compared to the beginning of the season... You can't count those first 3 wins 😂

Can we count this one or is missing Mcdavid the next excuse? 

Truth is, we own those guys. 

No excuses. Our secondary guys stepped up. A lot of people were wrong. We do own these guys. 

12 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I feel like Podz and especially Lindholm need a goal, although the latter did combine with his line for the ENG goal. Blueger, and now Lafferty and Suter got the monkeys off their backs. 

Podz biggest deficiencies:

CONFIDENCE and KILLER INSTINCT 

36 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

I've been very critical of Lindholm as of late, but I do want to use this time to praise Lindholm a little. He may not be scoring, but he is making some kind of a difference with the PK and defensive zone when he's healthy.

Sounds like some one else we all know 

• Cheers 1