[PGT] Canucks @ Oilers (i.e., the DeSmith apology thread)

Iron Man

I woke up this morning and stubbed my toe. I was rolling on the floor in pain. Then I remembered we swept the oilers and that victory last night and all the sudden I forgot about my pain and did 3 back flips. Go nucks go! My Lindholm jersey should be arriving any day now in time for game 1!!! Fck the oilers and the Nashville "child" predators 

• Cheers 4

22 minutes ago, Johnny said:

I love coming around this place when the team is doing well

when the team is losing it turns into a toxic waste pit of arrogance and ignorance 

That's putting it nice and politely. 😉

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Cheers 1

Vancouver's first round opponent - Preds or Knights ... 

1) Preds - need to get at least 1 point and Knights have to gather 3/4 points against Quackers and Hawks (ouch)

2) Knights - if Preds lose in regulation and Knights get 4 points over their next 2 games.

When Avs were up 3-0 over the Knights, I would have bet the farm on a Canucks / Predators Round 1 matchup. Now, with Preds playing a desperate Penguins team on Monday and Knights having two of the worst teams in the league Tuesday and Thursday, we could very easily be up against Vegas Round 1. 

Oh well, whoever it is, my money will be on the Canucks to pull it out and move onto Round 2 ... anyone else of the same mindset?

GO CANUCKS GO!

Edit: Assumption is that Canucks get at least 1 point in the next 2 games and Dallas wins the Western Conference title.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Cheers 2

56 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Av's in their last 10: 4-5-1

Teams get hot and cold....I like our team because they've been fairly consistent (see above).

I can compliment other teams without dragging the Canucks.😜

We have maintained the pace that put us in first in the league in the first half and still got caught and passed by a few teams.  Carolina, NYR, Colorado, Dallas really did great through back half. I still like a matchup with most of those teams especially since they will be later rounds and 5v5 we are tough to beat.
Great year by any measure so far. I like us especially as things get further along and special teams play a smaller role. 

10 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Vancouver's first round opponent - Preds or Knights ... 

1) Preds - need to get at least 1 point and Knights have to gather 3/4 points against Quackers and Hawks (ouch)

2) Knights - if Preds lose in regulation and Knights get 4 points over their next 2 games.

When Avs were up 3-0 over the Knights, I would have bet the farm on a Canucks / Predators Round 1 matchup. Now, with Preds playing a desperate Penguins team on Monday and Knights having two of the worst teams in the league Tuesday and Thursday, we could very easily be up against Vegas Round 1. 

Oh well, whoever it is, my money will be on the Canucks to pull it out and move onto Round 2 ... anyone else of the same mindset?

GO CANUCKS GO!

Edit: Assumption is that Canucks get at least 1 point in the next 2 games and Dallas wins the Western Conference title.

Last night I had a funny feeling it would be Canucks and Vegas in round 1. End of the day, careful what you wish for (re: wanting Preds over Vegas) so probably best to just embrace whichever team it is. A Vegas/EDM/Dallas/eastern champ SC win would be amazing!!!

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Darius said:

Looks consistent. 

Its a great way to look at it and is very encouraging. Points aside, though, I think people have seen a difference in their play over the last while compared to the first half. True, the points were there, but they were losing leads in the third, and I think the goal differential has gone down too. Just saying people have had concerns and they weren't imaginary. Having said that, seeing the play over the last few and with Demko back I think those are being addressed and its looking good for the first round.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Pesce at 5M is better the Hronek at 8M 

Pesce is a ufa after this season no?  He will expect a raise.  He's 29, 30 in November.  Coming off a 6 year deal.  So do you think he could be had for say 6.5 to 7 over 6-8 years? 

11 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Pesce is a ufa after this season no?  He will expect a raise.  He's 29, 30 in November.  Coming off a 6 year deal.  So do you think he could be had for say 6.5 to 7 over 6-8 years? 

He's currently at 4M 29 years old,

5.5 over 6 years? If he likes where our team is at.

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

He's currently at 4M 29 years old,

5.5 over 6 years? If he likes where our team is at.

Okay so you're saying if he's good with a 1 mill raise... I think as a right shot, mobile, close to, if not already elite defencmen... He'll want and can get 7 mill for 5 years or 6.5 at 7 no?  

So if Pesce can get say 45.5 over 7 years (6.5 per, taking him to 37 years old) vs Hronek (already proven to fit well with Hughes) 60 over 8 years (7.5 per, taking him to 35.  Which is a more guaranteed smart signing?  

Not so sure... Unless you can get Pesce for 6 or under I think I'd go with Hronek (IF he stays 7.5 or under).

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Good question.

Expected goals are based on how likely a shot is to score based on where the shot was taken and some other factors like type of shot (slap, wrist, etc.), PP situation (5-on-4, 5-on5, 4-on-5 etc.) and location of previous "event".

In any one game, the expected goals and actual goals often differ quite a bit. A shot from the blueline near the boards at even strength has a low chance of going in: maybe 2%, so the expected goals would be 0.02. But if the puck goes in because it deflects in off a defender, the actual goals will be 1.0 -- 50 times as much. And, as a result of that lucky bounce, that team is likely to end up with more actual goals than expected goals in that game. 

But bounces tend to even out in the long run and expected goals and actual goals for a season are usually quite similar. This year, however, the Canucks are outliers in a positive direction with 273 actual goals and only 256 expected goals (all strengths).  But even for the Canucks, those numbers are not far apart. Why do the Canucks have a positive differential? They have better than average shooters and they go for high danger chances. 

But the main factor that makes expected goals differ from actual goals is goaltending.  If you get good goaltending actual goals against will be less than expected goals against.  This year the Canucks have 273 expected goals against but only 256 actual goals against. Why? Good goaltending. 

Expected goals give a good measure relative dominance in play. But actual goals differ because of lucky bounces, good or bad goaltending and other factors. It is pretty common for the teams in the NHL to win despite being behind in expected goals or vice versa. Another factor is that the team that is behind often puts on a late flurry (the "chasing team") while the team that is ahead focuses on defending. That inflates expected goals for chasing teams. 

But, in the long run, having a high expected goals for number and a low expected goals against number is important. 

The teams with the best expected goals percentages in the Western Conference are Edmonton, Dallas, Nashville and Vancouver. The worst are San Jose, Anaheim, and Chicago.  That is a pretty good indicator of team quality. 

I knew those Garly side goal line shots would pay off.

• Haha 2