[PGT] Canucks @ Oilers (i.e., the DeSmith apology thread)

Iron Man

5 hours ago, Steamer4GM said:

While I agree about Hansen, I can't agree with any suggestion that Mik isn't working hard. He's been a puck hungry battler for weeks now since his knee has clearly improved but has just been absolutely snakebitten around the net and hands have been cold all season.

If he could just bump this damn slump sometime soon, get the merciless monkey of his back, he'll be another dangerous weapon in our currently well-balanced, killer arsenal

I agree... but would like to see some aggression from him... he is fast, and last year he didn't seem to have a problem finding the net... 

If only.... Hansen had a bit of nastiness in him, and I miss that in a few of our players... I'm sure it'll come though. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

4th liner

You think Hansen was a 4th liner?

or Mika... 

our 3rd line with Hansen, Malhotra and Torres is the best 3rd line I remember, although the newest one is brilliant as well. 

2 hours ago, Johnny said:

I love coming around this place when the team is doing well

when the team is losing it turns into a toxic waste pit of arrogance and ignorance 

When the team is doing well, It would be nice though if you didn't turn this place into a toxic waste pit of arrogance and ignorance. 😉

• Confused 2

5 minutes ago, The Duke said:

iirc this is either the 3rd best season in 50+ years… or tied for 2nd if we win out.  

Amazing stuff this season - and with the structure we play with it just might be sustainable.

Yep if we win our final two we would tie our 2011-12 record of 111 points.

That would be second best behind 2010-11 where we had 117.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

Let's see what the playoffs bring. I think Petey is gonna turn it on in the playoffs and be a beast

I really hope you're right. Not to be pessimistic but I don't think he could get any worse without being demoted out of the top 6... so we need him to turn it around asap.

1 hour ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Okay so you're saying if he's good with a 1 mill raise... I think as a right shot, mobile, close to, if not already elite defencmen... He'll want and can get 7 mill for 5 years or 6.5 at 7 no?  

So if Pesce can get say 45.5 over 7 years (6.5 per, taking him to 37 years old) vs Hronek (already proven to fit well with Hughes) 60 over 8 years (7.5 per, taking him to 35.  Which is a more guaranteed smart signing?  

Not so sure... Unless you can get Pesce for 6 or under I think I'd go with Hronek (IF he stays 7.5 or under).

He's not an offensive dman........hes a younger, sturdier Tanev.

Ultimately I think the Canes re-up him anyway

2 hours ago, Rocket-68 said:

Vancouver's first round opponent - Preds or Knights ... 

1) Preds - need to get at least 1 point and Knights have to gather 3/4 points against Quackers and Hawks (ouch)

2) Knights - if Preds lose in regulation and Knights get 4 points over their next 2 games.

When Avs were up 3-0 over the Knights, I would have bet the farm on a Canucks / Predators Round 1 matchup. Now, with Preds playing a desperate Penguins team on Monday and Knights having two of the worst teams in the league Tuesday and Thursday, we could very easily be up against Vegas Round 1. 

Oh well, whoever it is, my money will be on the Canucks to pull it out and move onto Round 2 ... anyone else of the same mindset?

GO CANUCKS GO!

Edit: Assumption is that Canucks get at least 1 point in the next 2 games and Dallas wins the Western Conference title.

We could also play Kings right?

6 minutes ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

We could also play Kings right?

Yes, of course, Kings have a slightly harder schedule playing MIN then CHI but do hold the tiebreaker against Knights. But then again, the Yotes stormed back to pound the Knights with 6 goals in 9 minutes or so in the 3rd period thus there are no "given wins" in the NHL. Who knows and I am too lazy to spreadsheet all possibilities and attach statistical probabilities on any combination of wins/losses/OT for VAN / LV / LA / NAS ... I am sure there is a website or 7 that has done that already.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

He's not an offensive dman........hes a younger, sturdier Tanev.

Ultimately I think the Canes re-up him anyway

Yah... I wonder... It might be hard for them to re-sign him unless they are willing to give him a significant raise... As this is his last opportunity to cash in big.  If the Canes want to re-sign Guenzel he'll be getting a good chunk of the self imposed Canes cap.  Will be interesting.  

I wonder if we bring up a bunch of black aces from abby or if we leave them there for ahl playoffs.

I'm really interested to see D. Petey, Räty, and Lekerimaki.

I can hear it now, 18 year old Sam b... I mean Jonathan Lekerimaki ..

I'm not sure how old he is but I like the reference lol

18 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Yah... I wonder... It might be hard for them to re-sign him unless they are willing to give him a significant raise... As this is his last opportunity to cash in big.  If the Canes want to re-sign Guenzel he'll be getting a good chunk of the self imposed Canes cap.  Will be interesting.  

When he was available at the start of the season I thought it was reported he was not really interested in playing in the West.

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Pesce at 5M is better the Hronek at 8M 

I'd take Pesce as high as 6mil over 8+mil Hronek. As the season has gone on his play has gotten more and more meh. Here's hoping his number drops drastically. Assuming he actually wants 8+.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

I wonder if we bring up a bunch of black aces from abby or if we leave them there for ahl playoffs.

I'm really interested to see D. Petey, Räty, and Lekerimaki.

I can hear it now, 18 year old Sam b... I mean Jonathan Lekerimaki ..

I'm not sure how old he is but I like the reference lol

Lekkerimaki has returned to Sweden to get ready for the World's.

IMO we're more likely to see Karlsson and Bains, for forward depth and McWard and Wolanin for extra D

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I'd take Pesce as high as 6mil over 8+mil Hronek. As the season has gone on his play has gotten more and more meh. Here's hoping his number drops drastically. Assuming he actually wants 8+.

Hronek isn't getting 8 mil but...

Compromise Shrug GIF

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

You think Hansen was a 4th liner?

or Mika... 

our 3rd line with Hansen, Malhotra and Torres is the best 3rd line I remember, although the newest one is brilliant as well. 

Mik couldn't carry Hansen's or Malholtra's jock straps

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1