[PGT] Canucks @ Oilers (i.e., the DeSmith apology thread)

Iron Man

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yup, me too. We can't even afford him at $5 mil. There would have to be major changes to incorporate him in the line-up ... and then what as a 3rd line center? We should be focusing on a winger for Petey first and filling the RD position. That 3C concern comes after that imo. We already have Suter and can circle back on Blueger. We also have Raty and Sasson in the system and other UFA's to choose from.

Better off getting our value on him having a great playoff.

thats pretty much what JR said as well, he's a rental. 

Now if somehow he wanted to sign here for ~6? you'd have to figure that out for sure. But 7 or 8 mil, nah.

There isn't much on the RHC UFA market, so yeah he's going to get overpaid for sure: https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2025/points/all/center/ufa/desc/right?stats-season=2024

14 minutes ago, tas said:

so much revisionist spin coming out of that nightmare hellscape.

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/losing-to-canucks-was-probably-best-for-the-edmonton-oilers

Canucks haven't clinched it yet.  The scenario still exists where:

VAN loses to CAL and WPG

EDM wins SJS, ARZ, and COL

I'd say if VAN loses to CAL tomorrow, we're playing with fire.  WPG is looking really sharp now, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Jets win that last game of the season. 

EDM will almost certainly beat SJS.  They could certainly beat ARZ.  A lucky bounce or two and they would have beat them last time around.

COL is honestly playing like shit the last few games.  They may even rest guys for that last game.  EDM could absolutely win that one.

With all that being said, it's not LIKELY to happen, but if EDM wins tonight, and VAN loses tomorrow.... look out.

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

VAN loses to CAL and WPG

I'd say if VAN loses to CAL tomorrow, we're playing with fire.  WPG is looking really sharp now, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Jets win that last game of the season. 

EDM will almost certainly beat SJS.  They could certainly beat ARZ.  A lucky bounce or two and they would have beat them last time around.

COL is honestly playing like shit the last few games.  They may even rest guys for that last game.  EDM could absolutely win that one.

With all that being said, it's not LIKELY to happen, but if EDM wins tonight, and VAN loses tomorrow.... look out.

does it really matter tho? either LA or NSH is going to take this teams best effort to beat. Yeah LA loves its trappy crap, but NSH might pound the crap out of us physically.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Now if somehow he wanted to sign here for ~6? you'd have to figure that out for sure. But 7 or 8 mil, nah.

There isn't much on the RHC UFA market, so yeah he's going to get overpaid for sure: https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2025/points/all/center/ufa/desc/right?stats-season=2024

Holy, I didn't realize it is so thin at Center this year. For sure some team looking to make a push will take a chance on his pedigree. Especially if he has a good playoff. Any number of teams like Seattle, Ottawa, Nashville, Minny, Columbus, Chicago, Salt Lake City, or even a contender could decide he's a fit.

His stock has definitely taken a little hit after the trade though.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Cheers amigo. It has definitely felt like ages between the games compared to most of the season. 
Really please for you all, that you get to follow the prospects more closely now after they relocated the baby Canucks to Abby. 
It also give the rest of us a lot of info on the progress of the youngsters. 😊👍

I’ll do my best! It’s great hockey to watch. I finally went to my first game the other week. Top notch hockey to watch live. I got right down on ice level for 70 bucks. Which I thought was great compared to the parent club if you got that close to the ice!

I’m going to drive south for a playoff game or two if I can. Take my dad. I toured around the arena to find a good spot he would be comfortable going, he’s in a wheel chair so normal seats won’t do. I think my options are booth or they have a great viewing area at the home ice end of the rink that would fit him nicely.

Great to see double Canuck playoffs this year!

I won’t be going to any Vancouver playoff games unless they make the finals…then i’ll sell one of my damn trucks and part of my soul to go…if we make the dance that is lol

Cheers!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HKSR said:

VAN loses to CAL and WPG

edmonton sucks and will be resting their best players. I'm not too concerned. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Holy, I didn't realize it is so thin at Center this year. For sure some team looking to make a push will take a chance on his pedigree. Especially if he has a good playoff. Any number of teams like Seattle, Ottawa, Nashville, Minny, Columbus, Chicago, Salt Lake City, or even a contender could decide he's a fit.

His stock has definitely taken a little hit after the trade though.

yep its a thin group, I just can't see us competing on cap space for him. Definitely not a buyer friendly situation. There's a bit more depth for left shot C's but even thats not all that shit hot (https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2025/points/all/center/ufa/desc/left?stats-season=2024). 

I don't like losing the RH face off ability tho, that will hurt. We have no RHC's in the system either. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, KFAN said:

It was a $1000.00 trip for me with the game, flights, hotel, meals (and beer), but it was a one off of sharing it with my son and grandson, who I don't get to see very often. In the big picture,  it was well worth it. One day I will forget the cost, but the memories will stay forever

Oh, for sure! That's awesome and I'm glad that you got to experience that!

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

does it really matter tho? either LA or NSH is going to take this teams best effort to beat. Yeah LA loves its trappy crap, but NSH might pound the crap out of us physically.

We could end up with any of LA, NAS, or VGK...

NAS has PIT for game 82... that is NOT gonna be an easy game.  PIT is fighting for their lives to make the post season. 

LAK have MIN and CHI.  CHI is a gimme.  MIN is beatable.

VGK have CHI and ANA.  Likely 2 wins there.

If NAS loses, LAK win both, and VGK win both, we get VGK.

If NAS loses, and LAK win 1, and VGK win both, we get LAK.

If NAS wins, we get NAS.

This is assuming we win the division. 

If I were betting on this, I'd bet NAS loses, LAK win both and VGK win both.

So I don't think we're getting NAS no matter where we finish.  DAL is gonna get NAS.  We're getting LAK or VGK.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

My worry is we'll be playing Vegas. Which is OK but I'd rather Kings or Preds. Preds need a point out of their last game vs Pitt tonight or Vegas likely beats Chicago and Anaheim to secure the WC#1.

Although Kings play Wild and Hawks and could possibly lose one and flip with Vegas. If LA end up tied with Preds they would both have 38 ROW but I think the Preds win the head to head games criteria.

Playoffs start Saturday 🥳

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Lindholm was brought here to be our defensive 3C.

Bonus if he can play PP2 or 1?  With Petey and JT Miller ahead on our C depth chart; no one should be surprised he is scoring at a 35 point pace.  

He looks good to me!

Look, I get that we're trying to make ourselves feel good about this trade, but no, he was NOT put in as a defensive 3C. Ridiculous. Why would you pay a 1st rounder for THAT? The Canucks were hoping to get someone who can play up and down the lineup (and evidently, he was used as an insurance piece in case Pettersson decided to play games with his contract).

We SHOULD be surprised that he is scoring at 35 point pace because he's been given every opportunity thus far to produce, but he hasn't. That being said, he has been playing a lot better and it's pretty clear even for someone who is as critical about Lindholm that he was injured. Nevertheless, I still hope he does more than just 3C because the trade would be a terrible one.

Edited by PureQuickness
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

lmfao the schedule maker sucks 🤣

Pretty hilarious to see other teams fans/writer's bitching about the schedule too. Reality flash. The NHL schedule is hard on all teams. It's part of what makes the sport great. Thing is everyone has difficult parts of the season, they know before hand, so plan appropriately.

Like with Edmonton, they should have won more earlier if they wanted to rest guys down the stretch. They knew 6 months ago they had a heavy ending schedule. They're comfortably in the playoffs ... so rest your players and stop bitching lol. 😂

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

Look, I get that we're trying to make ourselves feel good about this trade, but no, he was NOT put in as a defensive 3C. Ridiculous. Why would you pay a 1st rounder for THAT? The Canucks were hoping to get someone who can play up and down the lineup (and evidently, he was used as an insurance piece in case Pettersson decided to play games with his contract).

We SHOULD be surprised that he is scoring at 35 point pace because he's been given every opportunity thus far to produce, but he hasn't. That being said, he has been playing a lot better and it's pretty clear even for someone who is as critical about Lindholm that he was injured. Nevertheless, I still hope he does more than just 3C because the trade would be a terrible one.

It's a pretty inconsequential package for a guy with a very well rounded game, all things considered.  The first was the only real value they'll parted with.......Kuz should have been, but they cratered his value during the season.

Cliche or not, thd little things he can do a huge things in the playoffs and that's more than worth the price they paid, even as a rental, imo.

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

I agree, and think 6-6.5ish is his open market price too.

People asking for a winger for Petey have to remember we have Lekkermaki in the system. With the way Boeser has played this year, I would think we keep him around beyond next year. As such, we need to be cognizant of whom we have in the pipe on ELC contracts. Dman Petterson and Willander are others. On the flip side, Lindholm would be an excellent long term fit is the $$ is right. Raty is the replacement for Blueger.

• ThereItIs 1

27 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Pretty hilarious to see other teams fans/writer's bitching about the schedule too. Reality flash. The NHL schedule is hard on all teams. It's part of what makes the sport great. Thing is everyone has difficult parts of the season, they know before hand, so plan appropriately.

Like with Edmonton, they should have won more earlier if they wanted to rest guys down the stretch. They knew 6 months ago they had a heavy ending schedule. They're comfortably in the playoffs ... so rest your players and stop bitching lol. 😂

Exactly 💯 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's a pretty inconsequential package for a guy with a very well rounded game, all things considered.  The first was the only real value they'll parted with.......Kuz should have been, but they cratered his value during the season.

Cliche or not, thd little things he can do a huge things in the playoffs and that's more than worth the price they paid, even as a rental, imo.

Exactly. People overlook that Kuz had negative trade value in Vancouver. If he had stayed, it would have only got worse, and we would have needed to attach more in July to jettison his contract and resign core guys. The first we dealt for Lindholm took this into account; Lindholm's actual cost in a standalone trade was probably a 2nd.

• Cheers 2

48 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

The Lindholm was brought in as insurance concept makes zero sense to me and I don't think JR and PA are that numb upstairs either. How on earth is an unsigned UFA player who you haven't even negotiated with and have no cap space for insurance against anything, especially one who isn't near as talented? Was Petterson supposed to be scared and sign some lowball deal because of it or something? If he didn't plan on signing why would he care that we would look to sign someone else? Makes no sense and would have been an incredibly dumb use of assets.

I'm sure they were hoping Lindholm could play up and down the line-up. He still can but they way things have shaken out he is providing better utility on the 3rd line (with 2 of our best wingers) after we had to adapt while he was injured. Tocchet also prefers his strength down the middle. This is also partially because Suter and Mik are hard to place in the line-up but they are currently filling positions on the top two lines. I'm sure the option of putting Lindholm back there is still completely available. Maybe he clicks better with Petey now that he's healthy if they try that configuration moving forward.

Once the playoffs come a stud 3rd line center stud might make all the difference. Look at Karlsson on Vegas. Sure gives them a heck of an advantage.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3