[PGT] Canucks @ Oilers (i.e., the DeSmith apology thread)

Iron Man

11 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Of coarse there was no contingency for Canuck's playoffs. Yah gotta wonder about the mentality!

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/vancouver-canucks/latest-news/how-booked-concerts-could-affect-the-2024-vancouver-canucks-playoff-schedule

Just move the concerts next door if need be. Can't afford having bad ice for the biggest games. 

1 hour ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I’ll do my best! It’s great hockey to watch. I finally went to my first game the other week. Top notch hockey to watch live. I got right down on ice level for 70 bucks. Which I thought was great compared to the parent club if you got that close to the ice!

I’m going to drive south for a playoff game or two if I can. Take my dad. I toured around the arena to find a good spot he would be comfortable going, he’s in a wheel chair so normal seats won’t do. I think my options are booth or they have a great viewing area at the home ice end of the rink that would fit him nicely.

Great to see double Canuck playoffs this year!

I won’t be going to any Vancouver playoff games unless they make the finals…then i’ll sell one of my damn trucks and part of my soul to go…if we make the dance that is lol

Cheers!

Lol... hopefully you won't have to go that far 😂😂
Good on you to take you wheel chair sitting dad with you to games. 
Its wonderful to hear story like this on here. Too often folks seems to forget one another in this day and age... 

Hope we win the lot and you still have you soul amigo 🤣🤣🤣🏴‍☠️⚓

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Lindholm was a guy it sounded like they targeted all offseason; they finally got it done in Feb. The narrative he was an insurance policy is just ridiculous.

He was targeted because he is a true blue RT guy; play up and down the lineup and play any role very well. The canucks will make every attempt to resign him in my opinion....even if that means shipping someone like Mik out with draft capital attached.

Exactly Hawk. Thank you.  It is/was a ridiculous idea.

I don't like to prognosticate too much on the line-ups because, especially this season, there are so many moving parts that need to be addressed. I agree on Mik though ... I don't see how they don't try quite hard to move him. Unless of course they decide to take a step back due to the OEL hit and all of the UFA spots we need to fill. Maybe we go with an eye on two years down the road, but really after this season I think they will want to keep the standard and competitiveness as high as possible.

Having said that I'm not sure we have enough for Lindholm, even with Mik's $4.75 mil off the books. However, I'm willing to allow this group the opportunity to pursue it if they can make it work. It will be a strenuous task for management to address all the areas that need attention. Besides the RD position I also think finding a winger to play with Petey, and/or Miller fulltime is pretty important.  

14 minutes ago, Pears said:

Just move the concerts next door if need be. Can't afford having bad ice for the biggest games. 

I'm not sure it works like that. 

let me rephrase.

I'm sure it doesn't work like that. 

• Cheers 2

38 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

The Lindholm was brought in as insurance concept makes zero sense to me and I don't think JR and PA are that numb upstairs either. How on earth is an unsigned UFA player who you haven't even negotiated with and have no cap space for insurance against anything, especially one who isn't near as talented? Was Petterson supposed to be scared and sign some lowball deal because of it or something? If he didn't plan on signing why would he care that we would look to sign someone else? Makes no sense and would have been an incredibly dumb use of assets.

I'm sure they were hoping Lindholm could play up and down the line-up. He still can but they way things have shaken out he is providing better utility on the 3rd line (with 2 of our best wingers) after we had to adapt while he was injured. Tocchet also prefers his strength down the middle. This is also partially because Suter and Mik are hard to place in the line-up but they are currently filling positions on the top two lines. I'm sure the option of putting Lindholm back there is still completely available. Maybe he clicks better with Petey now that he's healthy if they try that configuration moving forward.

Once the playoffs come a stud 3rd line center stud might make all the difference. Look at Karlsson on Vegas. Sure gives them a heck of an advantage.

I think the more likely move (though probably not the only one) would be moving hronek out.  That probably isn't enough, but I'm not sure losing Mike, a great defensive player is the answer.

They're going to have to find a way to rob peter without paying Paul 

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

My worry is we'll be playing Vegas. Which is OK but I'd rather Kings or Preds. Preds need a point out of their last game vs Pitt tonight or Vegas likely beats Chicago and Anaheim to secure the WC#1.

Although Kings play Wild and Hawks and could possibly lose one and flip with Vegas. If LA end up tied with Preds they would both have 38 ROW but I think the Preds win the head to head games criteria.

Playoffs start Saturday 🥳

I kinda want Vegas. Kick them outta the playoffs before all the injured guys really start to gel with the team.

I feel with that much power if they get going they may be unstoppable.

I think our team is equipped very well to grind out a series with them.

The only team I don’t want right away is LA…but I do feel in a 7 game series our team could finally find a way to win against a trap team…which may be very beneficial growth wise for our young team.

In any case there will be no easy wins in the west this year. The East is a cake walk compared to our conference.

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Of coarse there was no contingency for Canuck's playoffs. Yah gotta wonder about the mentality!

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/vancouver-canucks/latest-news/how-booked-concerts-could-affect-the-2024-vancouver-canucks-playoff-schedule

anybody hear when they'll announce when the games will be? I'm sure the has already figured out every possible scenario especially with the NBA reg season wrapped.

if the playoffs start on April 20th they can't possibly wait until April 18/19 to roll out the schedule.

• Cheers 1

Pretty hilarious to see other teams fans/writer's bitching about the schedule too. Reality flash. The NHL schedule is hard on all teams. It's part of what makes the sport great. Thing is everyone has difficult parts of the season, they know before hand, so plan appropriately.

Like with Edmonton, they should have won more earlier if they wanted to rest guys down the stretch. They knew 6 months ago they had a heavy ending schedule. They're comfortably in the playoffs ... so rest your players and stop bitching lol. 😂

Guess you could almost say life isn't fair...

its just how it is... for all of them. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PureQuickness said:

Look, I get that we're trying to make ourselves feel good about this trade, but no, he was NOT put in as a defensive 3C. Ridiculous. Why would you pay a 1st rounder for THAT? The Canucks were hoping to get someone who can play up and down the lineup (and evidently, he was used as an insurance piece in case Pettersson decided to play games with his contract).

We SHOULD be surprised that he is scoring at 35 point pace because he's been given every opportunity thus far to produce, but he hasn't. That being said, he has been playing a lot better and it's pretty clear even for someone who is as critical about Lindholm that he was injured. Nevertheless, I still hope he does more than just 3C because the trade would be a terrible one.

Well he might still end up on Peteys line...

Regardless, can we agree, that if it helps us going all the way to the conference finals, its been a great trade, regardless of which line he plays on?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

My worry is we'll be playing Vegas. Which is OK but I'd rather Kings or Preds. Preds need a point out of their last game vs Pitt tonight or Vegas likely beats Chicago and Anaheim to secure the WC#1.

Although Kings play Wild and Hawks and could possibly lose one and flip with Vegas. If LA end up tied with Preds they would both have 38 ROW but I think the Preds win the head to head games criteria.

Playoffs start Saturday 🥳

I believe the Western playoffs bracket go:

Nucks and Preds

Oilers and Kings

Stars and Las Vegas Golden Knights

Jets and Aves

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Conscience said:

Ugh really need an upgrade on mik, some help for pete. 

If we struggle to score I could see Lindholm being bumped up and Blueger reuniting with THE third line.

Only player that would make sense there otherwise would be Podz IMO based on his pedigree. However with 2 points in 17 games he hasn’t exactly proven much offensively.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

On 4/14/2024 at 10:18 AM, RU SERIOUS said:

...you mean Ex-Vancouverite Millenials who can't afford to live in Shangri-La anymore.    We miss 'em all!!!!:classic_sad:

That's not cool man, I can only assume from your comment that you're at least Gen-X or Boomer. 

Gotta keep it in mind, we didn't have it as easy as you guys, being able to buy homes for string and buttons.

Then you went and fucked up the economy, burning the figurative bridge behind you.

We're making due with what we were given, and I'd say my generation has done pretty well for themselves given the literal shit we walked into.

• Upvote 1