[PGT] Canucks @ Oilers (i.e., the DeSmith apology thread)

Iron Man

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If we struggle to score I could see Lindholm being bumped up and Blueger reuniting with THE third line.

Only player that would make sense there otherwise would be Podz IMO based on his pedigree. However with 2 points in 17 games he hasn’t exactly proven much offensively.

Yes could see it, put the swedes together and the thirst line was pretty damn good already.

Then laf centers the Russians?

Edited by Conscience
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

does it really matter tho? either LA or NSH is going to take this teams best effort to beat. Yeah LA loves its trappy crap, but NSH might pound the crap out of us physically.

That's the biggest concern for this team as we don't exactly have a team of beefed-up trojans on board.    Small skinny light-weight guys like Petty and a bunch of others could be easily pounded into submission and "taken-out" and our only 2 policemen (Big-Z and DJ) can't do it all.    This BTW was one of JR's first comments when he joined the team, saying how lightweight we are and although they've added a couple or so bigger players, we are not in the same league as many of the bigger tougher teams - at least not yet - as JR and PA continue to rebuild.   

As such, we are still extremely vulnerable to being subdued by these bigger tougher teams and that will likely be the one attribute that eliminates us - not Jauques Lemaire defensive hockey or speedy Finese wingers doing their deed against us - but sheer might - which is the biggest factor in winning the cup as any "normal" long time hockey fan will confirm.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, RU SERIOUS said:

That's the biggest concern for this team as we don't exactly have a team of beefed-up trojans on board.    Small skinny light-weight guys like Petty and a bunch of others could be easily pounded into submission and "taken-out" and our only 2 policemen (Big-Z and DJ) can't do it all.    This BTW was one of JR's first comments when he joined the team, saying how lightweight we are and although they've added a couple or so bigger players, we are not in the same league as many of the bigger tougher teams - at least not yet - as JR and PA continue to rebuild.   

As such, we are still extremely vulnerable to being subdued by these bigger tougher teams and that will likely be the one attribute that eliminates us - not Jauques Lemaire defensive hockey or speedy Finese wingers doing their deed against us - but sheer might - which is the biggest factor in winning the cup as any "normal" long time hockey fan will confirm.

You're living in the past my friend.   I do remember those days, and remember them well.   When Ian Cole is considered a " big body", then things aren't the same.   Hint he's not.   Yet he's bigger than a lot of D's these days.   And well we have Zadorov,  Soucy,  Myers and Juulsen.   I'm pretty happy about our little tiny team.    

Funny thing.  EK recent article, when he started he knew he was a "small body" and said in his own words " back then the league was a lot bigger, there were a lot more bangers upfront and I was a small guy" ...  now it's even smaller.   Aside from goalies.   Your worried about things that left the game over a decade ago. 

• Cheers 3

11 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

I still have my old ones from the last time we had had home playoff games in town 11 years ago and the even older purple'ish ones from the 'ol West Coast Express days.    They used to cost $5 bucks but I guess Millenial pricing is in effect now - where Aqau-Lini squeezes every last penny out of the younger generation that is used to being gouged for everything.

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

You're living in the past my friend.   I do remember those days, and remember them well.   When Ian Cole is considered a " big body", then things aren't the same.   Hint he's not.   Yet he's bigger than a lot of D's these days.   And well we have Zadorov,  Soucy,  Myers and Juulsen.   I'm pretty happy about our little tiny team.    

Funny thing.  EK recent article, when he started he knew he was a "small body" and said in his own words " back then the league was a lot bigger, there were a lot more bangers upfront and I was a small guy" ...  now it's even smaller.   Aside from goalies.   Your worried about things that left the game over a decade ago. 

Well then, we'll just have to wait and see how things play out then because the last i checked, the bigger, feistier teams have been winning the cup for most of the last many years - but maybe this year will be different all of a sudden.  Who knows?   Hope you're right though and our team can squeeze through deep into the later playoff rounds and maybe even win the cup.    That would be sweet!   I'll be rooting for them like you and hoping our guys can take and maybe even dish-out some of the playoff punishment that is on our doorstep. Go Canucks go!

9 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Well then, we'll just have to wait and see how things play out then because the last i checked, the bigger, feistier teams have been winning the cup for most of the last many years - but maybe this year will be different all of a sudden.  Who knows?   Hope you're right though and our team can squeeze through deep into the later playoff rounds and maybe even win the cup.    That would be sweet!   I'll be rooting for them like you and hoping our guys can take and maybe even dish-out some of the playoff punishment that is on our doorstep. Go Canucks go!

Now we have a "bigger, feistier club" then we've had in awhile.   It's never going to be like the 70's-mid 2000's in that regard again.  

As far as the league wide average goes, i'm happy enough.   Coming from a guy who wanted Soucy in the off-season as the best target, and a slower older Patrick Marroon as a TDL deal.   Zadorov.   That was a great deal.   And no, he's not a good fighter.   There are only a few good fighter's left, most of them over 30. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Now we have a "bigger, feistier club" then we've had in awhile.   It's never going to be like the 70's-mid 2000's in that regard again.  

As far as the league wide average goes, i'm happy enough.   Coming from a guy who wanted Soucy in the off-season as the best target, and a slower older Patrick Marroon as a TDL deal.   Zadorov.   That was a great deal.   And no, he's not a good fighter.   There are only a few good fighter's left, most of them over 30. 

How will the refs react to physical playoff hockey. In the past they have let a lot go. Canucks should be able to go either direction. 

Of course the biggest concern with physical hockey will be if Hughes is targeted. Not really whether he will or not as we all know he will be. I can only hope that any effort to knock him out will be met with a deadly PP which will deter such activity more than anything else. 

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

A skinny, lightweight team who are 4th in the league for hits you mean?

And that opposing coaches refer to as a big mobile team that comes at you in waves. 
Benning had a slow, little, unskilled team, PA has fixed that as best can without moving EP. 
The D is huge outside of top pairing, our smallest wingers are tough as nails.  Could we use another top 6 PF, absolutely. 
I am with you though this small team narrative makes no sense. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

How will the refs react to physical playoff hockey. In the past they have let a lot go. Canucks should be able to go either direction. 

Of course the biggest concern with physical hockey will be if Hughes is targeted. Not really whether he will or not as we all know he will be. I can only hope that any effort to knock him out will be met with a deadly PP which will deter such activity more than anything else. 

I think people believe in some outdated myth about playoff hockey, when really it's not all that different........the intensity is ramped up, that's it.

Just now, DrJockitch said:

And that opposing coaches refer to as a big mobile team that comes at you in waves. 
Benning had a slow, little, unskilled team, PA has fixed that as best can without moving EP. 
The D is huge outside of top pairing, our smallest wingers are tough as nails.  Could we use another top 6 PF, absolutely. 
I am with you though this small team narrative makes no sense. 

Which is funny because benning built the core of this team 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Which is funny because benning built the core of this team 

And he tried to go big briefly when LA won the cup but as usual his horrid pro scouting gave us Gudbransons instead of Zadorov’s.  Then Chicago won the cup and he decided small and skilled way to go. Then when LA won again, he changed his mind and then when Chicago won again he changed his mind again. 
No wonder the team never gelled, he was trying to mimic the last cup winner every year instead of finding his own identity.