Science

Drive-By Body Pierce

2 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

The article mentions that the 12 billion pounds is only for the "initial construction cost", whatever that means.  

It's easy to see why some might regard this as a world class money pit.

But it would be interesting to see what results come from it should it be built.

...and in retrospect, 12 billion pounds seems ridiculously cheap for a larger version of the LHC.....

One of the Science Fiction novels I read recently, played with the idea of harnessing "Dark Energy" and using it as a replacement for all of the sources we use now....

It sounds far fetched, but I think this is exactly the kind of thing these projects are the first step for....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/other/chernobyl-s-mutant-wolves-are-developing-a-very-special-talent/ar-BB1hYr0g

"

Wolves living in the heart of Chernobyl appear to have evolved the ability to fight cancer – a genetic mutation that could give humans a better chance of surviving the disease.  

In 1986, a nuclear reactor at the Chernobyl power plant in Ukraine exploded. The disaster released cancer-causing radiation and irradiated debris into the environment, resulting in the world’s worst nuclear accident. 

Radiation spread across Europe, reaching as far as the Lake District in northern England.

More than 150,000 people were evacuated from the area, including the nearby town of Pripyat, built to serve the plant and home to many workers.

In the almost four decades since, only around 1,000 residents have ever returned to the Chernobyl exclusion zone (CEZ). This undisturbed peace and quiet has allowed wildlife to flourish among the abandoned buildings and surrounding forests, nature slowly reclaiming the once barren landscape.

----------------------------------

More at link

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/other/chernobyl-s-mutant-wolves-are-developing-a-very-special-talent/ar-BB1hYr0g

"

Wolves living in the heart of Chernobyl appear to have evolved the ability to fight cancer – a genetic mutation that could give humans a better chance of surviving the disease.  

In 1986, a nuclear reactor at the Chernobyl power plant in Ukraine exploded. The disaster released cancer-causing radiation and irradiated debris into the environment, resulting in the world’s worst nuclear accident. 

Radiation spread across Europe, reaching as far as the Lake District in northern England.

More than 150,000 people were evacuated from the area, including the nearby town of Pripyat, built to serve the plant and home to many workers.

In the almost four decades since, only around 1,000 residents have ever returned to the Chernobyl exclusion zone (CEZ). This undisturbed peace and quiet has allowed wildlife to flourish among the abandoned buildings and surrounding forests, nature slowly reclaiming the once barren landscape.

----------------------------------

More at link

From the article:

Analysis revealed wolves inside the CEZ have a significantly altered immune system compared to those outside the CEZ.

Kind of remarkable that adaptation can happen so quickly.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

From the article:

Analysis revealed wolves inside the CEZ have a significantly altered immune system compared to those outside the CEZ.

It has been several generations since the disaster for wolves. I am thinking there’s youngsters out there who have no idea about Chernobyl. 

59 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

From the article:

Radiation can dramatically speed up mutations.

Edited by WeneedLumme

8 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Radiation can dramatically speed up mutations.

Necessity is the mother of invention. Now we have AI to speed up innovation. 

Edited by Spur1

4 hours ago, Spur1 said:

It has been several generations since the disaster for wolves. I am thinking there’s youngsters out there who have no idea about Chernobyl. 

But even several generations isn't that long.  But apparently it's long enough.  And I find that surprising.

@Gurn 

" Buck Institute Scientists Discover a Potential Way To Repair Synapses Damaged in Alzheimer's Disease "

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/buck-institute-scientists-discover-a-potential-way-to-repair-synapses-damaged-in-alzheimers-disease/

From both a Neurological standpoint and a way to help Alzheimer's patients, this is fascinating research.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

A shallow lake in Canada could point to the origin of life on Earth

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/17/world/last-chance-lake-origin-of-life-phosphate-scn/index.html

British Columbia's Last Chance Lake, pictured here during the wet season in June 2022, contains the highest levels of concentrated phosphate ever recorded in any natural body of water on Earth

As if the "Murder Hornets" weren't bad enough, now we get to look forward to these wee beasties making their way north and west from Georgia: :frantic:

image.jpeg.6e5e98823984bd5167721fa6343ed304.jpeg

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/technology/freakshow-spiders-and-their-6-foot-webs-are-invading-american-cities/ar-BB1iM01v?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=509cb5d78eeb452682b541df0d5d9c8f&ei=78

On 2/23/2024 at 12:02 PM, RupertKBD said:

As if the "Murder Hornets" weren't bad enough, now we get to look forward to these wee beasties making their way north and west from Georgia: :frantic:

image.jpeg.6e5e98823984bd5167721fa6343ed304.jpeg

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/technology/freakshow-spiders-and-their-6-foot-webs-are-invading-american-cities/ar-BB1iM01v?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=509cb5d78eeb452682b541df0d5d9c8f&ei=78

walking through a spider web is the worst.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

This ALS patient has a brain implant that translates his thoughts to computer commands

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/28/tech/brain-implant-als-patient-bci/index.html

Amazing.

My Dad died form ALS. 

Communication was big frustration for him as his body shut down and began to trap him inside. He was pretty much fully paralysed in the last few weeks. Knowing what he was thinking and wanting to say would have been a bright light in those last dark days.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

47 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Amazing.

My Dad died form ALS. 

Communication was big frustration for him as his body shut down and began to trap him inside. He was pretty much fully paralysed in the last few weeks. Knowing what he was thinking and wanting to say would have been a bright light in those last dark days.

I remember my grandpa writing on a magic slate when ALS took his voice fortunately for him he kept his movement for longer.  What an awful disease.  Progress like neurolink are exciting.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/technology/mathematicians-have-discovered-the-secret-geometry-of-life/ar-BB1j3Cyv?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=58387cfe0d9f46a3964029e29946b27f&ei=40

Mathematicians Have Discovered the Secret Geometry of Life

A team of researchers revealed how theoretical mathematical concepts take on a real-world life when discovering a completely new “soft cell” shape that crossed over from mathematical possibility to abundant natural example.

Mathematicians have long enjoyed the study of shapes. Using sharp edges and plenty of points, they’ve dedicated centuries to seeing just how these shapes fit together for infinite tiling ability. But the equations used in mathematical shaping, with their hard lines and sharp points, don’t generally lead to a lot of crossover with nature.

A team of researchers from Budapest University of Technology recently announced that they have uncovered a new natural class of shape that tiles with curved edges. They uploaded their findings to the preprint server arXiv. Dubbed both “soft cells” and “z-cells,” these shapes lack the telltale corners of theoretical math, but still fit together in both two dimensions and three dimensions.

I think my favorite thing about this story is "Budapest University of Technology"....aka, "BUT". If there's a better acronym for a scientific institution, I haven't heard of it....

Could be a sine of things to come....:classic_cool:

(and yes, Math nerds, I know that's Trig. Sue me)