Science

19 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Painting in fractals goes way back.  This is from 1831 and it wasn't the first.

Under the Wave off Kanagawa (The Great Wave) by Hokusai ...

Cool bit of information bishopdan.   One of the first programs I ever wrote was one to produce the Mandlebrot set.  I remember it took hours to run on my I386.   

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Cool bit of information bishopdan.   One of the first programs I ever wrote was one to produce the Mandlebrot set.  I remember it took hours to run on my I386.   

I didn't know that you're a programmer. That's really cool. Can I ask: do you have a comp sci degree? Do you work in the field?

29 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

TBH, I always thought that Pollock just threw shit at a canvas and called it art....

Shows how much I know....:classic_unsure:

24 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

To Rups point though...

I also thought Pollock just threw crap at the canvas but also wondered why so many people liked it. It's kinda a cool study.

https://blogs.uoregon.edu/richardtaylor/2016/02/08/fractal-analysis-of-jackson-pollocks-poured-paintings/#:~:text=In 1999%2C Richard Taylor and,building blocks of nature's scenery.

1 minute ago, 112 said:

I didn't know that you're a programmer. That's really cool. Can I ask: do you have a comp sci degree? Do you work in the field?

I retired a few years ago.  No degree. As a mature student, I went back to school and got a diploma in Computer Systems Technology from Langara.  30-40 years ago that was enough to get a good job.  All that really mattered was that you could program.  I think that's still the case.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I retired a few years ago.  No degree. As a mature student, I went back to school and got a diploma in Computer Systems Technology from Langara.  30-40 years ago that was enough to get a good job.  All that really mattered was that you could program.  I think that's still the case.

Ah, thanks for the response. I'm looking into computer science programs -- considering undertaking a degree, also as a mature student.

You must have seen a lot of changes over the years in terms of technology. i386s are a bit dated now. :classic_tongue:

Edited by 112
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, 112 said:

All that really mattered was that you could program. 

I'm guessing that C++ was the choice back then. My brother-in-law started out in computer programming working for the Canadian Govt back in the mid to late 60's. Cobal and Fortran were popular back at that time.

17 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

TBH, I always thought that Pollock just threw shit at a canvas and called it art....

Shows how much I know....:classic_unsure:

throwing shit at a canvas and calling it art pretty much sums up the Universe so you are not that far off lol. 😛

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

The Last Of Us Cicadas

This spring, billions of cicadas will emerge after more than a decade underground, ready to climb into the trees and make a ruckus as they sing to attract mates. But some of these insects won’t succeed in their goal of procreating — instead, they’ll be controlled like zombies into spreading a strange fungus that hijacks cicadas’ bodies and behavior.

The details of the fungus’ attack on the bugs — destroying the insects’ genitals, replacing their abdomens with a cavity full of fungal spores, manipulating the bugs into hypersexual behavior to spread the fungus further and transforming the cicadas into what some scientists term “saltshakers of death” — may seem like they belong in a creature feature horror movie. But when it comes to the fungus Massospora cicadina, said Dr. John Cooley, an associate professor in residence of ecology and evolutionary biology at the University of Connecticut, Hartford, “the truth is actually much stranger than science fiction.”

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/15/world/cicada-fungus-zombie-scn/index.html

• MillerTime 1

14 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

From the article:

“There currently is no scientific consensus on the potential health impacts of nano- and microplastic particles. Therefore, media reports based on assumptions and conjecture do nothing more than unnecessarily scare the public,” a spokesperson for the International Bottled Water Association, an industry association, told CNN previously.

I'm guessing it can't be good for a person.

Voyager-1 sends readable data again from deep space

The US space agency says its Voyager-1 probe is once again sending usable information back to Earth after months of spouting gibberish. 

The 46-year-old Nasa spacecraft is humanity's most distant object.

A computer fault stopped it returning readable data in November but engineers have now fixed this.

For the moment, Voyager is sending back only health data about its onboard systems, but further work should get the scientific instruments back online.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-68881369

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Satchmo said:

Voyager-1 sends readable data again from deep space

The US space agency says its Voyager-1 probe is once again sending usable information back to Earth after months of spouting gibberish. 

The 46-year-old Nasa spacecraft is humanity's most distant object.

A computer fault stopped it returning readable data in November but engineers have now fixed this.

For the moment, Voyager is sending back only health data about its onboard systems, but further work should get the scientific instruments back online.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-68881369

I read somewhere that the reason they lost communication originally was because of a faulty memory module....

....you'd think they would have figured that out after hearing the three beeps....:classic_unsure:

33 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

In a first, an orangutan was seen treating his wound with a medicinal plant

After an orangutan hurt his face, scientists observed him chewing a plant known to relieve pain and applying a paste made from the leaves to the injury.

its-happening.gif

image.png.1ae4b4619fb23d799f6f11d5bed3e5d5.png

• Haha 2
  • ThereItIs 2

Just now, The Arrogant Worms said:

So really, we're at an inflection point, a crossroads as it were - we can either watch the apes take over before AI can establish itself fully, or we can watch AI race against the apes and have the machines turn us all into nothing more than fuel cells to power their growth and perpetrate their existence.  Wunderbar. :classic_ninja:

• ThereItIs 1