Science

Drive-By Body Pierce

On 8/19/2024 at 1:13 PM, The Arrogant Worms said:

SpaceX is about to send four people on a wild — and risky — mission into the radiation belts. Here’s what to know

https://www.cnn.com/2024/08/19/science/spacex-polaris-dawn-jared-isaacman-spacewalk/index.html

They get back

1 looks like a rock

1 is on fire

1 dude looks like silly putty

and the fourth is invisible.

Fantastic!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/other/common-drug-taken-by-millions-linked-to-dangerous-risk-of-psychosis/ss-AA1qsWOv?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=1b959548eb97499a931578b47bdfa520&ei=24#image=1

"People who take Adderall may be at a much greater risk of having a mental breakdown, a study suggests. Those with a prescription for the ADHD drug or other stimulants were over 60 percent more likely to suffer psychosis or mania than people not using the meds.

Stronger doses raised the risk further - people who took the max dose recommended by the FDA were at a fivefold higher risk. Study author Lauren Moran, a researcher at Mass General Brigham, said: 'Our results show that it is clear that dose is a factor in psychosis risk and should be a chief consideration when prescribing stimulants.'

---------------------------------------

9 more slide/paragraphs at link.

----------------------------

correlation is not causation, is thing to remember here.

For those who are interested in such things:

Time to Say Goodbye to the B.M.I.?

The body mass index has long been criticized as a flawed indicator of health. A replacement has been gaining support: the body roundness index

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/09/06/health/body-roundness-index-bmi.html?unlocked_article_code=1.Lk4.ZuGu.2tHW3WWbvIk6&smid=url-share

There are various websites that offer an easy way to calculate your body roundness index.  Here's one of them:

https://webfce.com/bri-calculator/

5 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

For those who are interested in such things:

Time to Say Goodbye to the B.M.I.?

The body mass index has long been criticized as a flawed indicator of health. A replacement has been gaining support: the body roundness index

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/09/06/health/body-roundness-index-bmi.html?unlocked_article_code=1.Lk4.ZuGu.2tHW3WWbvIk6&smid=url-share

There are various websites that offer an easy way to calculate your body roundness index.  Here's one of them:

https://webfce.com/bri-calculator/

BMI has always been a load of crap

When I was 45 I was 6'1 225 pounds.....wore size 34 jeans and lifted 5 days a week and ran 5 miles 4 days a week.

I was obese lol

59 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

BMI has always been a load of crap

When I was 45 I was 6'1 225 pounds.....wore size 34 jeans and lifted 5 days a week and ran 5 miles 4 days a week.

I was obese lol

BMI was designed to be a population level indicator. It's always been misapplied. Doesn't stop insurance companies forcing people to use it tho when applying for health coverage.

13 hours ago, Bob Long said:

BMI was designed to be a population level indicator. It's always been misapplied. Doesn't stop insurance companies forcing people to use it tho when applying for health coverage.

Apparently I'm now a healthy weight after losing 80lbs this last year. My beer belly tells me different 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Very cool tidal effect from the recent Supermoon event on the Qiantang river near Shanghai.....

Tide watching is an activity for residents along the river, who sometimes refer to this effect as the "Silver Dragon"....

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Upvote 1

Interesting article on the "race" between China and the US to achieve the goal of mastering Nuclear Fusion as an energy source. A true game changer for whichever country gets there first. (Spoiler alert: The Yanks are losing)

Too long to post in it's entirety, but an interesting read:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/09/19/climate/nuclear-fusion-clean-energy-china-us/index.html

BTW: I wish Leon Musk were focusing on something like this with his vast wealth, rather than being the richest shitposter on Xitter....

For a short period of time, Earth will be a bit more like Mars.....as we welcome a second moon:

https://www.sciencealert.com/earth-welcomes-a-new-mini-moon-later-this-month

Move over, Moon – Earth's about to pick up a new natural satellite. This "mini-moon" will be with us for the next two months, but it's not its first visit and it won't be the last.

This temporary mini-moon is actually a small asteroid about 10 meters (33 feet) wide. Officially known as 2024 PT₅, the rock was only discovered last month, and calculations of its path indicate it will become a satellite of Earth on September 29.

It will be our little travel companion for 56.6 days, completing one full orbit of Earth in that time. After that, the rock will break free from our gravitational grasp on November 25, returning to its path around the Sun.

2024 PT₅ will then swing past for a final goodbye on 9 January 2025, coming within 1.8 million kilometers (1.1 million miles) of Earth before heading back out into the inky blackness.

It's not farewell forever, however – 2024 PT₅ is predicted to come back on November 8, 2055. It won't be quite as cozy next time though, flying by at a distance of 5.2 million kilometers (3.3 million miles).

This space rock was discovered on August 7 by the Asteroid Terrestrial-impact Last Alert System (ATLAS), so it's nice to know that mission is working as intended. That was one day before it made its closest pass to Earth, swinging by just 567,000 kilometers (352,300 miles) away, or roughly one and a half times the (normal) Moon's distance.

Astronomers from the Complutense University of Madrid were then able to calculate the orbit for 2024 PT₅ using data from JPL's Small-Body Database, based on 122 observations over 21 days. This revealed that it's on a horseshoe-shaped path and traveling relatively slowly, resulting in a brief honey(mini-)moon phase with Earth.

Its orbital characteristics also helped the team narrow down where it might have come from. 2024 PT₅ seems to belong to a group of near-Earth objects called the Arjunas, which orbit the Sun at about the same distance, shape and angle as Earth. This path makes it unlikely that 2024 PT₅ is a piece of artificial space junk, which ATLAS has spotted heading our way before.

This isn't the asteroid's first rodeo either. The astronomers traced its journey 60 years into the past with a good degree of certainty, before also mapping its fate 30 years into the future. Outside of those times, the data becomes a bit murky due to close interactions with the Earth-Moon system.

Before this year's approach, 2024 PT₅ has made relatively close flybys in February 2003, April 1982 and March 1960. But in all three cases, it was still stalking us at a distance of at least 8.2 million kilometers (5.1 million miles). The last time it was under a million kilometers away seems to have been in October 1937, but as the team says, that far back its history is less certain.

Going the opposite direction in time, the next sure visit will be in November 2055. After that, the foggy crystal ball suggests it could make another close pass in January 2084, at about 1.66 million kilometers (1 million miles) away.

Earth has had similar brief flings with mini-moons before. In 2020 astronomers realized a small rock, just 3.5 meters (11.5 feet) wide at most, had been orbiting our planet for about three years. Just a few months after its discovery, it broke free of its bounds and drifted off.

A different kind of mini-moon was discovered in 2016. This one was a 'quasi-satellite,' in that it was technically still orbiting the Sun but was trailing behind Earth, tangled up in its gravitational pull. It was estimated to have been following us for almost a century, and probably will for a few more yet.

image.gif.568dcad4de0ca7836ff5a7c50ff0dc4e.gif

• Cheers 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/other/40-million-dead-global-health-seriously-threatened-by-new-crisis/ar-AA1qWxpY?ocid=msedgntp&pc=U531&cvid=df5d35a16fb343cc9888fb95c1564e7a&ei=12

"

Antibiotic resistance, humanity's new scourge. The medical journal The Lancet, in a recent study, reveals the disastrous consequences of this phenomenon. By 2050, nearly 40 million people could die.

The study assesses the impact of antibiotic resistance in the coming years. Researchers collected data from more than 520 million people in 204 countries. They looked at 22 pathogens, 84 combinations between pathogens and treatments as well as 11 infectious syndromes, reports L’Indépendant. Their results were published in The Lancet this week: within 25 years, antibiotic resistance will worsen and more than 39 million people across the globe are at risk of dying from infections resistant to these drugs.

Between 1990 and 2021, experts have established that nearly a million people per year died as a direct result of antibiotic resistance. On the other hand, the phenomenon is improving among young children and infants, in whom resistance to this type of drug has decreased by more than 50%. The researchers nevertheless specify that infections have become more complicated to treat. Among adults aged 70, deaths have increased by more than 80% over the same period.

According to this study, by 2025, the number of direct victims worldwide could reach 1.91 million per year, underlines L’Indépendant. An increase of more than 67% compared to 2021.

From 2025 to 2050, 92 million deaths could nevertheless be avoided thanks to progress.

(MH with AsD - Source: L’Indépendant - Illustration: Unsplash)

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/other/40-million-dead-global-health-seriously-threatened-by-new-crisis/ar-AA1qWxpY?ocid=msedgntp&pc=U531&cvid=df5d35a16fb343cc9888fb95c1564e7a&ei=12

"

Antibiotic resistance, humanity's new scourge. The medical journal The Lancet, in a recent study, reveals the disastrous consequences of this phenomenon. By 2050, nearly 40 million people could die.

The study assesses the impact of antibiotic resistance in the coming years. Researchers collected data from more than 520 million people in 204 countries. They looked at 22 pathogens, 84 combinations between pathogens and treatments as well as 11 infectious syndromes, reports L’Indépendant. Their results were published in The Lancet this week: within 25 years, antibiotic resistance will worsen and more than 39 million people across the globe are at risk of dying from infections resistant to these drugs.

Between 1990 and 2021, experts have established that nearly a million people per year died as a direct result of antibiotic resistance. On the other hand, the phenomenon is improving among young children and infants, in whom resistance to this type of drug has decreased by more than 50%. The researchers nevertheless specify that infections have become more complicated to treat. Among adults aged 70, deaths have increased by more than 80% over the same period.

According to this study, by 2025, the number of direct victims worldwide could reach 1.91 million per year, underlines L’Indépendant. An increase of more than 67% compared to 2021.

From 2025 to 2050, 92 million deaths could nevertheless be avoided thanks to progress.

(MH with AsD - Source: L’Indépendant - Illustration: Unsplash)

So we end up with about 100 years of antibiotics as effective means to curing infections. Lucky for us, living our lives during this era. The younger generations need to invent their own or its lights out. 

• Cheers 1

On 9/19/2024 at 1:40 PM, RupertKBD said:

Interesting article on the "race" between China and the US to achieve the goal of mastering Nuclear Fusion as an energy source. A true game changer for whichever country gets there first. (Spoiler alert: The Yanks are losing)

Too long to post in it's entirety, but an interesting read:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/09/19/climate/nuclear-fusion-clean-energy-china-us/index.html

BTW: I wish Leon Musk were focusing on something like this with his vast wealth, rather than being the richest shitposter on Xitter....

Agreed. The sad thing about fusion is it's been 10-20 years away since the 1970's 

Molten Salt Reactors sounds intriguing, but I think no one has figured out how to stop the corrosion on the piping. 

Small Modular Reactors is an idea. 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

80 lbs is huge. That's one hell of an accomplishment. I've lost 35, and I want to lose another 20-25.

Honestly I just started walking 4km a day (40ish minutes), switched from white bread/rice/pasta to whole grain, and try my best to not go for 2nds and 3rds 😅

Was 240lbs (only 5'7) in May 2023 and down to 154 today 😁

Went from 195 to this since June.. Thats when I started walking and switching to whole grain.. Went from 240 - 195 just from cutting way back on pop and take out lol

Edited by Gator
  • Like 1