Science

Drive-By Body Pierce

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Geez, Canada has to bring 1 or 2 million people year in just to keep our numbers up. What are we doing wrong? To much sex education? 🙂 

Too expensive to have kids anymore. Many of the younger generation are not having kids for a number of reasons. It made sense to have large families when you were a farmer as you grew your own food and traded hogs / cattle / grain or hay for those things that you did not have. Not uncommon for a farm family to have 8 or more kids. Many very large families in your neck of the woods back in the 70's and before then. One even had 18 family members. My own grandparents on my dads side had 12 kids.

Maybe they should start teaching it to Countries in Africa, India and China as they are where we were at 50 to 75 years ago. 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/us/first-ever-footage-of-newborn-great-white-shark-released/ar-BB1hsVRo?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=253dde6a16d2450d915ff45a190ec9ea&ei=36

"n July 2023, wildlife filmmaker Carlos Gauna and UC Riverside biology doctoral student Phillip Sternes were using drone cameras to scan the waters in Santa Barbara on California's central coast when they discovered what's believed to be a newborn great white shark that was veiled in a "milky" white substance.

vid from different site

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Elon Musk says his startup Neuralink has implanted a device in its first human

Tech billionaire Elon Musk said Monday that his brain-science startup company, Neuralink, had implanted a device in a human for the first time, a possible step toward a product that he said would allow people to control almost any external device “just by thinking.”

and

Musk said in 2022 that he plans to get one of the Neuralink implants himself. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/elon-musk-says-startup-neuralink-implanted-device-first-human-rcna136285

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Tech billionaire Elon Musk said Monday that his brain-science startup company, Neuralink, had implanted a device in a human for the first time, a possible step toward a product that he said would allow people to control almost any external device “just by thinking.”

and

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/elon-musk-says-startup-neuralink-implanted-device-first-human-rcna136285

This could be a pretty big deal for people with spinal injuries.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

and

Yup. Social media is already showing us the beginnings of the hive mind, implants are the next step. Never off line.

Our future...

I_Borg_Star_Trek_TNG_HD.jpg.8cd4973ae42d99e5818d56fb0b0a8401.jpg

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

9 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

421136254_122131859258046845_6839163670411168172_n.jpg

I thought the one on Saturn was supposed to look like a hexagon....although I guys that photo kind of does....:classic_unsure:

BTW, it blows me away that we can figure out the speed of a storm on a planet almost 30 AUs away, but we don't know for sure if it's going to rain this weekend. I mean, I live in Prince Rupert, so it's about as sure a thing as there is, but we still don't know for sure....

On 1/31/2024 at 7:55 AM, RupertKBD said:

I thought the one on Saturn was supposed to look like a hexagon....although I guys that photo kind of does....:classic_unsure:

BTW, it blows me away that we can figure out the speed of a storm on a planet almost 30 AUs away, but we don't know for sure if it's going to rain this weekend. I mean, I live in Prince Rupert, so it's about as sure a thing as there is, but we still don't know for sure....

You have to keep in mind those storms have been around for a long time and we'd have a much harder time predicting where it's going to "rain" outside of those storms on other planets compared with our own.

Not to mention, they're also gas giants so I doubt a storm there's really that comparable to here to begin with.

Edited by The Lock

On 1/29/2024 at 5:05 PM, Boudrias said:

Geez, Canada has to bring 1 or 2 million people year in just to keep our numbers up. What are we doing wrong? To much sex education? 🙂 

If we are needing to bring in people to keep our numbers up why aren't there enough homes for all the people living in the street. Perhaps we should give builders some time to catch up to the need for housing. Just a thought I'm not expecting you to supply the answer.

5 minutes ago, Joe King said:

If we are needing to bring in people to keep our numbers up why aren't there enough homes for all the people living in the street. Perhaps we should give builders some time to catch up to the need for housing. Just a thought I'm not expecting you to supply the answer.

That's an oversimplification, unfortunately.

The people living on the streets wouldn't be able to afford these hypothetical homes anyway. What is needed is government funded, low-income housing. That isn't something developers are typically interested in, so we need to find a way (through things like tax initiatives) to make it moreso...

6 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

That's an oversimplification, unfortunately.

The people living on the streets wouldn't be able to afford these hypothetical homes anyway. What is needed is government funded, low-income housing. That isn't something developers are typically interested in, so we need to find a way (through things like tax initiatives) to make it moreso...

I don't think it's a oversimplification. The person I quoted said we are bringing in 1 to 2 million people a year just to keep our population up. So going by that if you slow the amount of people coming in down. And our current population may drop a bit because we are not breeding enough to replace ourselves. It possibly will open up more already built homes to needy people. Or we can just keep doing what we are and let or less fortunate citizens suffer.

What I currently see is us growing our population quicker than we have the ability to supply things such as housing,living wage jobs etc. More people puts more strain on food,water and civic services. Where I live I'm seeing communities struggle to find funding for maintaining never mind upgrading services for a larger population. More people competing for fewer homes drives prices to high to quickly. Great if your a developer, not great if your looking for a roof over your head.

Huge atom-smasher bid to find missing 95% of Universe

Researchers at the world's biggest particle accelerator in Switzerland have submitted proposals for a new, much larger, supercollider.

Its aim is to discover new particles that would revolutionise physics and lead to a more complete understanding of how the Universe works.

If approved, it will be three times larger than the current giant machine.

But its £12bn price tag has raised some eyebrows, with one critic describing the expenditure as "reckless".

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-68172162?utm_source=join1440&utm_medium=email&utm_placement=newsletter

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, The Lock said:

It's coming for us! RUNNNNNNNN!

Actually it is....

I saw Bryan Cox talking about it. In a few billion years (IIRC) Andromeda will swallow up the Milky Way......

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Actually it is....

I saw Bryan Cox talking about it. In a few billion years (IIRC) Andromeda will swallow up the Milky Way......

Oh I know it is. That's why I made the comment. lol

Although I realise that probably wasn't that obvious.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Huge atom-smasher bid to find missing 95% of Universe

Researchers at the world's biggest particle accelerator in Switzerland have submitted proposals for a new, much larger, supercollider.

Its aim is to discover new particles that would revolutionise physics and lead to a more complete understanding of how the Universe works.

If approved, it will be three times larger than the current giant machine.

But its £12bn price tag has raised some eyebrows, with one critic describing the expenditure as "reckless".

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-68172162?utm_source=join1440&utm_medium=email&utm_placement=newsletter

It's funny how perceptions work....12 billion pounds (about 15 billion US dollars) seems like a huge expenditure. but not that long ago, a significant portion of the American population was completely onboard with building a $25 billion Wall....

...in fact, a lot of them are still onboard.

• Cheers 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/top-scientist-fired-for-saying-sins-can-harm-unborn-babies/ar-BB1hUEGe?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=35bf34944db34b23988a3e930f7c733d&ei=44

A leading Russian scientist has been fired after claiming humans used to live for 900 years, but due to the sins of our ancestors, we now have a shorter lifespan.

The firmly non-scientific views were shared by Dr Alexander Kudryavtsev, head of the Russian Academy of Sciences Vavilov Institute of General Genetics.

Dr Kudryavtsev claimed the universe was made by God, but fell into ‘decay’ due to the ‘original, ancestral and personal sin’ of people – and that before the biblical flood, people used to live up to 900 years.

When he was challenged by the media, he said: ‘I wanted to emphasise the harmful influence of so-called bad habits – what theologians call sin. They also affect the genome. ‌

‘Atheist scientists will tell you that in fact, it’s radiation, it’s pollution, it’s all mutagenic effects. Nevertheless, my personal conviction is that such destruction is initiated by original sin, aggravated by ancestral sin, and personal sin too.’

Interesting that his views got him fired in Russia....

.....in Texas, they would have made him Surgeon General....

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

It's funny how perceptions work....12 billion pounds (about 15 billion US dollars) seems like a huge expenditure. but not that long ago, a significant portion of the American population was completely onboard with building a $25 billion Wall....

...in fact, a lot of them are still onboard.

The article mentions that the 12 billion pounds is only for the "initial construction cost", whatever that means.  

It's easy to see why some might regard this as a world class money pit.

But it would be interesting to see what results come from it should it be built.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Pretty cool photo.  Especially if it wasn't photoshopped.  

I saw it originally in a group of 5 of the best wildlife photos from 2023. The winner was a polar bear sleeping on a big chunk of ice somewhere near the Svalbard Archipelago....

Pretty sure they have the means to make sure those photos are legit.

• Cheers 1