Science

3 minutes ago, Ralph. said:

Yep. Always seemed like a weird idea, but that being said, I doubt Dr Gupta's ideas will become accepted Science anytime soon....

8 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Yep. Always seemed like a weird idea, but that being said, I doubt Dr Gupta's ideas will become accepted Science anytime soon....

Agreed (with this and your previous post). I read a lot of (astro)physics articles however and I've yet to come across anything that suggests a real-world comprehensive way to study dark matter and energy that is foolproof. Human perception and instruments may be impressively sophisticated now, but how do you prove the characteristics of these things in the same way you can prove a duck is a duck?

If dark matter and energy can manipulate our physical planes and dimensions, you'd think theoretically the reverse should be possible. That is what I want to see.

• Cheers 1

On 3/7/2024 at 11:22 PM, the destroyer of worlds said:

Sounds like the plot line for the recent season of " For All Mankind".  

Love the show but that was a terrible season. 
‘Why does everybody ignore the basics of economics with these things.  An asteroid of that make up would crash the market and bring the value down immensely. 

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Ralph. said:

Agreed (with this and your previous post). I read a lot of (astro)physics articles however and I've yet to come across anything that suggests a real-world comprehensive way to study dark matter and energy that is foolproof. Human perception and instruments may be impressively sophisticated now, but how do you prove the characteristics of these things in the same way you can prove a duck is a duck?

If dark matter and energy can manipulate our physical planes and dimensions, you'd think theoretically the reverse should be possible. That is what I want to see.

It sounds silly, but I feel like a lot of the best ideas come from Science Fiction, which I read a lot of....

One series I read had an alien civilization that had managed to harness Dark Energy and use it to power their world. Just imagine: No more burning of Fossil Fuels, no building Nuclear plants with the risk of radiation leaks, no more damming of rivers for hydroelectric....

• Cheers 1

Might be an opportunity to view the "Devil's Comet" this Spring:

https://www.npr.org/2024/03/17/1239056873/devil-comet-solar-eclipse-12p-pons-brooks?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-us

The volatile outbursts of 12P/Pons-Brooks can also give the celestial body a horseshoe-shape resembling horns, which led to its popular nickname: the "devil comet."

Right now, star-gazers may be able to glimpse the comet by pointing a telescope or binoculars toward the constellation Pisces in the early evening. Astronomers say it will soon be visible to the naked eye, too.

image.thumb.jpeg.ded614b1335463dfa9037e4b7d85aa2c.jpeg

• Cheers 1

On 3/19/2024 at 8:37 AM, DrJockitch said:

Love the show but that was a terrible season. 
‘Why does everybody ignore the basics of economics with these things.  An asteroid of that make up would crash the market and bring the value down immensely. 

Are you talking about the show? If so, I haven't watched and don't know the story-line other than what is posted here.

The Psyche mission won't reach the asteroid until 2029 and will only orbit for a few years. If they intend to safely alter the trajectory of the asteroid, it would take several missions beyond this one and wouldn't come to fruition for decades probably.

26 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Are you talking about the show? If so, I haven't watched and don't know the story-line other than what is posted here.

The Psyche mission won't reach the asteroid until 2029 and will only orbit for a few years. If they intend to safely alter the trajectory of the asteroid, it would take several missions beyond this one and wouldn't come to fruition for decades probably.

Since landing on the moon seems more we are worried about the economic launching of satellites than true exploration. It has taken so long that Elon Musk is the leading figure on humanity getting to Mars🤣😱.  Mining asteroids seems like a long way off.  Mining on the moon, if they find anything useful, already seems decades away. 
Makes for interesting Sci Fi though. 

7 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Since landing on the moon seems more we are worried about the economic launching of satellites than true exploration. It has taken so long that Elon Musk is the leading figure on humanity getting to Mars🤣😱.  Mining asteroids seems like a long way off.  Mining on the moon, if they find anything useful, already seems decades away. 
Makes for interesting Sci Fi though. 

This post tells me that you don't know anything about the Psyche mission.  You seem fixated on economics. It's about advancing knowledge and ability.

"Psyche uses solar-powered Hall-effect thrusters for propulsion and orbital maneuvering, the first interplanetary spacecraft to use that technology. It's also the first mission to use laser optical communications beyond the Earth-Moon system."

Every mission they learn something new and try new technology and perform different experiments etc. It's not science fiction.

5 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

This post tells me that you don't know anything about the Psyche mission.  You seem fixated on economics. It's about advancing knowledge and ability.

"Psyche uses solar-powered Hall-effect thrusters for propulsion and orbital maneuvering, the first interplanetary spacecraft to use that technology. It's also the first mission to use laser optical communications beyond the Earth-Moon system."

Every mission they learn something new and try new technology and perform different experiments etc. It's not science fiction.

No, I have read quite a bit on it. And there has been some interesting stuff going on outside of that especially with the Webb and advancements in telescopes.  The asteroid redirection mission was amazingly aspirational but those sort of things are few and far between now. 
I just think that the space program was very focused when it had a direction of the landing on the Moon and kind of wiped their hands and said done. That was a long, long time ago. We have done great stuff near Earth since then but for the amount of time very little aspirational work has been done and what is being done in space is dangerously disorganized and somewhat fractious bringing global politics into space. 
While they have done amazing stuff, I just feel the focus of the governments that were primarily pushing progress in space shifted focus and budget to developing weapons of mass destruction, which is a shame.  If the space race had continued and pushed R&D in that direction we likely would have seen a lot of technological advancement that could help us in our current situations in regards to overpopulation, climate change and especially waste management without even considering what it may have been able to do to change the energy sector, can’t burn coal in space. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

No, I have read quite a bit on it. And there has been some interesting stuff going on outside of that especially with the Webb and advancements in telescopes.  The asteroid redirection mission was amazingly aspirational but those sort of things are few and far between now. 
I just think that the space program was very focused when it had a direction of the landing on the Moon and kind of wiped their hands and said done. That was a long, long time ago. We have done great stuff near Earth since then but for the amount of time very little aspirational work has been done and what is being done in space is dangerously disorganized and somewhat fractious bringing global politics into space. 
While they have done amazing stuff, I just feel the focus of the governments that were primarily pushing progress in space shifted focus and budget to developing weapons of mass destruction, which is a shame.  If the space race had continued and pushed R&D in that direction we likely would have seen a lot of technological advancement that could help us in our current situations in regards to overpopulation, climate change and especially waste management without even considering what it may have been able to do to change the energy sector, can’t burn coal in space. 

You're just lamenting the past. Woulda couda shoulda. I'm talking about what they're doing now and in the future. Once again, not science fiction. The wheels are in motion and many of the things you lament are still possible.

1 hour ago, RWMc1 said:

You're just lamenting the past. Woulda couda shoulda. I'm talking about what they're doing now and in the future. Once again, not science fiction. The wheels are in motion and many of the things you lament are still possible.

Yes, exactly what I am doing, lamenting the failures of the past.  
I am very interested in what we are doing in space and do follow it as an outside interest.  
Not sure why you keep telling me it isn’t science fiction, never said it was. 

The original point was how silly it is that they keep claiming these asteroids are worth quintillions of dollars which is ludicrous, they base the estimates on the per gram price in a restricted market and ignore that a source of ore of that quantity would tank the market and it would only be worth a small fraction of the claimed value. 

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

I am very interested in what we are doing in space and do follow it as an outside interest.  

The original point was how silly it is that they keep claiming these asteroids are worth quintillions of dollars which is ludicrous, they base the estimates on the per gram price in a restricted market and ignore that a source of ore of that quantity would tank the market and it would only be worth a small fraction of the claimed value. 

I'm way more interested to see if/how they can scale up in situ manufacturing on the moon. I think once we do that, things really open up for exploration. People keep talking about Mars as the place to go, in part to have a colony that can survive an earth disaster, but the moon seems like a great choice to me. Space 1999 baby. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'm way more interested to see if/how they can scale up in situ manufacturing on the moon. I think once we do that, things really open up for exploration. People keep talking about Mars as the place to go, in part to have a colony that can survive an earth disaster, but the moon seems like a great choice to me. Space 1999 baby.

Titan is where it's at baby:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/guest-blog/lets-colonize-titan/

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

a hydrocarbon atmosphere? How soon until the Alberta Space Ark is launched?

You gotta figure that somewhere in Fort Mac, an inventor is trapping six F-350 motors together as we speak....

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

You responded with this "Makes for interesting Sci Fi though." when I was talking about NASA missions. I mentioned the tv show in passing and am not interested in discussing it.

Once again you fixate on monetary value and ignore all potential benefits of having access to that amount of different kinds of minerals in the asteroid.

20 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

You responded with this "Makes for interesting Sci Fi though." when I was talking about NASA missions. I mentioned the tv show in passing and am not interested in discussing it.

Once again you fixate on monetary value and ignore all potential benefits of having access to that amount of different kinds of minerals in the asteroid.

We are debating a misunderstood agreement. I wasn’t saying what we are doing now is Sci Fi.
Fulsome mining in space is so far off it might as well be sci fi and there have been great sci fi shows around it, and some not so great. 
We are just at the point where we have finally retrieved an asteroid sample, but then were thwarted by the container for a while🤣🤣.

We are doing very interesting research now and it is amazing how much better our imaging is with Webb and other newer Telescopes.

Would like to see us doing better than we are now but can say that about A LOT of things. 

4 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

We are debating a misunderstood agreement. I wasn’t saying what we are doing now is Sci Fi.
Fulsome mining in space is so far off it might as well be sci fi and there have been great sci fi shows around it, and some not so great. 
We are just at the point where we have finally retrieved an asteroid sample, but then were thwarted by the container for a while🤣🤣.

We are doing very interesting research now and it is amazing how much better our imaging is with Webb and other newer Telescopes.

Would like to see us doing better than we are now but can say that about A LOT of things. 

The points I made were about the NASA missions, thus the misunderstanding.

The spaceweather guys had a test container buried in ice and made several attempts to retrieve it. The ice built up faster than they thought possible. (assumed)

Some of the Webb images call in to question previously held beliefs about creation and even hint at other neighbouring universes.

I don't think that the missions are random. One leads to another or are linked in a long range vision. Other countries are doing their own missions in space as well. It's actually an exciting time for science.

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Saw a cybertruck driving around downtown yesterday, ugly things. Looks like something a 10 year old would draw.

Elon Muskovite got a hold of some old props from the 80s movie "Megaforce" as inspiration for the design of the truck!

🤣

• Haha 1