Science

Satellites track the tiny silver fish hugely important to marine life

https://www.timescolonist.com/local-news/satellites-track-the-tiny-silver-fish-hugely-important-to-marine-life-8493368

"It's one of the very few animal formations that we can see from space, excluding human developments and towns," says researcher with the SPECTRAL Remote Sensing Laboratory at the University of Victoria. 

4 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Satellites track the tiny silver fish hugely important to marine life

https://www.timescolonist.com/local-news/satellites-track-the-tiny-silver-fish-hugely-important-to-marine-life-8493368

"It's one of the very few animal formations that we can see from space, excluding human developments and towns," says researcher with the SPECTRAL Remote Sensing Laboratory at the University of Victoria. 

Initially I was like, silver fish??, satellites can see those friggin bugs in my house?! 

Why aren’t they telling me where they are?? 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Initially I was like, silver fish??, satellites can see those friggin bugs in my house?! 

Why aren’t they telling me where they are?? 

Next thing you know, they'll be installing roofing- and siding-penetrating lasers to zap 'em!  Pew pew pew!  :hurhur:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Can retraining the brain help silence tinnitus? Some scientists are trying to find out

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/tinnitus-treatment-research-1.7100837

That's interesting. Growing up my brother and I could both 'hear' certain electrical devices, most specifically those long fluorescent tube lights prevalent in school. Or so we thought, at least. It got pretty bad at times, and I'd often develop headaches from it.

I don't know that he ever experienced anything that may have caused tinnitus, though I did have a nasty concussion at five years of age that has had lingering, long term effects.

• Vintage 1

On 4/2/2024 at 11:17 PM, Maninthebox said:

That's interesting. Growing up my brother and I could both 'hear' certain electrical devices, most specifically those long fluorescent tube lights prevalent in school. Or so we thought, at least. It got pretty bad at times, and I'd often develop headaches from it.

I don't know that he ever experienced anything that may have caused tinnitus, though I did have a nasty concussion at five years of age that has had lingering, long term effects.

My Dad had horrible tinnitus.  Especially in his 90's.  It drove him half nuts.  Now my wife has a mild case so far.

On 4/4/2024 at 3:12 PM, MattJVD said:

That's really insteresting, I didn't expect to see so much life (and especially colour) so far down.

@MattJVD; May I suggest you visit Canada's own world class ocean research project that was the first of its kind to continuously monitor the ocean off of Vancouver island. Since its inception back in ~ 2006 or so, many other countries are now setting up undersea observatories of their own. Canadian researchers rarely Bragg about their ground breaking achievements but they should have. I have followed the site since its inception back when the two underwater platforms were called Venus and Neptune.

https://www.oceannetworks.ca/multimedia/live-cameras/

Edited by Kootenay Gold
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

There may be hope yet.  They believe that they can work around the issue.   

Fingers crossed 

https://www.livescience.com/space/space-exploration/nasa-engineers-discover-why-voyager-1-is-sending-a-stream-of-gibberish-from-outside-our-solar-system

NASA engineers discover why Voyager 1 is sending a stream of gibberish from outside our solar system

Voyager 1 has been sending a stream of garbled nonsense since November. Now NASA engineers have identified the fault and found a potential workaround.

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1

California on alert as San Andreas fault hints at a quake

https://metro.co.uk/2024/04/10/california-alert-san-andreas-fault-hints-a-quake-20623561/

Scientists are always eagerly studying it, because it is right on top of the San Andreas fault, and has been called the ‘earthquake capital of the world’.

The famous faultline running from north to south of the Golden State will soon be due for a tremor, and all eyes are on the town as the potential epicentre.

Measurements there are behaving a bit oddly, though, according Luca Malagnini, the director of research at the National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology in Italy.

He told Live Science that he suspects there will be a quake in the area at some point this year – but not necessarily at Parkfield.

At the moment, there are no telltale signs which could indicate cracks precipitating an imminent quake, according to a study published in the journal Frontiers in Earth Science last month.

3 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

California on alert as San Andreas fault hints at a quake

https://metro.co.uk/2024/04/10/california-alert-san-andreas-fault-hints-a-quake-20623561/

Scientists are always eagerly studying it, because it is right on top of the San Andreas fault, and has been called the ‘earthquake capital of the world’.

The famous faultline running from north to south of the Golden State will soon be due for a tremor, and all eyes are on the town as the potential epicentre.

Measurements there are behaving a bit oddly, though, according Luca Malagnini, the director of research at the National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology in Italy.

He told Live Science that he suspects there will be a quake in the area at some point this year – but not necessarily at Parkfield.

At the moment, there are no telltale signs which could indicate cracks precipitating an imminent quake, according to a study published in the journal Frontiers in Earth Science last month.

Just teasing us as always. Such a tectonic slut. 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied
Learn to swim, learn to swim, learn to swim
'Cause Mom's gonna fix it all soon

Some say a comet will fall from the sky

Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves

Followed by fault lines that cannot sit still

Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipshits

Learn to swim. 

• Huggy Bear 1

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Aren’t all simulations just reality that we haven’t seen yet? 

• Huggy Bear 1

18 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

nah, it will all go well, we'll all be patient and wait our turn for supplies and help each other out. 

right?

21 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

TBH, I always thought that Pollock just threw shit at a canvas and called it art....

Shows how much I know....:classic_unsure:

• Haha 1