Round 1 - Winnipeg Jets (C2) vs Colorado Avalanche (C3)

Guess the series outcomes!  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins in How Many Games?

• Colorado in 4
    • Colorado in 5
    • Colorado in 6
    • Colorado in 7
    • Winnipeg in 4
    • Winnipeg in 5
    • Winnipeg in 6
    • Winnipeg in 7
  2. 2. BONUS: Will there be a 4+ goal blowout?

11 hours ago, PeteyBoeser said:

It’s all because of the fans chanted to change the goalie. It fired them up that he’s playing excellent now. While Connor is playing like Cloutier 

Isn’t Clouts their goalie coach? Seems like it.

I see the series 3-1, and wonder what is happening with the Jets?  Then you take a closer look at their blueline... does any of this instill 'defensively strong' to you?  They're a defence group that is built on puck possession for defence IMO.  Not one that can counter a high powered offence like the Avs.

Morrissey

Schmidt

Pionk

Demelo

Dillon

Miller

Samberg

Stanley

I think they were riding Hellebuyck.  Now that he isn't standing on his head, they're getting shelled.  Feels like the Canucks the past few years before PA/JR and Tocchet came to town.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

I see the series 3-1, and wonder what is happening with the Jets?  Then you take a closer look at their blueline... does any of this instill 'defensively strong' to you?  They're a defence group that is built on puck possession for defence IMO.  Not one that can counter a high powered offence like the Avs.

Morrissey

Schmidt

Pionk

Demelo

Dillon

Miller

Samberg

Stanley

I think they were riding Hellebuyck.  Now that he isn't standing on his head, they're getting shelled.  Feels like the Canucks the past few years before PA/JR and Tocchet came to town.

Hellebuyck's covered for the Jets all year, which isn't to say their defense is a poor. To be frank, as far as tenders go Hellebuyck was in a league of his own all season. He is their most valuable player, and he's an incredible goalie, which makes his being lit up this way all the more baffling. 

I don't necessarily think Hellebuyck has played poorly, I think the scores thus far have been more a reflection of how talented Colorado's gamebreakers are. They're doing this without Drouin to boot. 

Having a player like MacKinnon up front and a player like Makar on the back end is simply an embarrassment of riches. We have a player in the same tier as Makar in Hughes, but we simply do not have anything resembling a MacKinnon tier forward. Whichever team comes out of the Dallas/Vegas series is going to be in tough, things are really clicking for the Avs right now, hard to see the Jets clawing their way to a series win. 

• Like 1

Seems like the Avs decided to tone things down during the regular season and decided to switch it on once the playoffs hit. 

Pretty sure Avs decided to only play 75% during the final 10 games. If they wanted to they could easily won the President's Trophy 

4 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Seems like the Avs decided to tone things down during the regular season and decided to switch it on once the playoffs hit. 

Pretty sure Avs decided to only play 75% during the final 10 games. If they wanted to they could easily won the President's Trophy 

That's playoff experience for ya.  They know what level it takes to win in the playoffs. 

• Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, CaribouCanuck said:

Really not surprised by the result of this series as it’s what I predicted, Winnipeg is the most overrated team in the league imo. 

The correct term on this specific occasion is...

image.png.fbb775601ea5197961ad8e5232676979.png

From Jennings to 24 GAA in five games (excluding empty net)

32 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Can't even say it's a lack of playoff experience.  They've been to this show 6 times out of the past 7 seasons. 

They were blown outta the water by the Avs.  Yes, the Avs are good... but to be blown out like that, it takes a collapse by the Jets as well. 

One concerning trends I notice with this Jets core group is they have never rally to win a series they trail in:

2018:

Never trailed in both series in Round 1 against Minnesota or Round 2 against Nashville. Though the Nashville series did went to 7 games and they won it in Game 7, but they led 1-0, 2-1 and 3-2 before winning the series 4-3.

Round 3, they led 1-0 against Vegas but once Vegas won the next 2 games, the momentum completely shifted and they lost 4-1.

2019:

Round 1 vs Blues. Trail the series 2-0, but did manage to tie it up at 2-2, but lost the pivotal game 5 after leading the game 2-0 and losing the game with a last minute goal scored by the blues and eventually bowed out in 6.

2020:

Preliminary round vs Calgary. Trail the best of 5 series 1-0, although manage to tie the series 1-1, but eventually lost to the Flames 3-1. They did lose Scheifele and Laine within like the first few minutes of Game 1, so that's just unfortunate.

2021:

Round 1: They swept the Oilers in the first round.

Round 2: They lost Game 1 and then Scheifele lost his composure after Montreal scored into the empty net, got himself suspended and the Jets were swept.

2023:

Round 1: Won game 1, but once Vegas gains the series lead after 2 wins, they couldn't come back.

2024:

Exactly the same as 2023.

Most resiliency they shown was in 2018, where they beat the Preds in competitive 7 game series. HM to 2019 as they were able to tie the series after 2 losses on home ice to the Blues, as going on the road to win 2 after losing the first 2 at home is tough. It appears that once the pendulum swings the other way, the Jets really have trouble gaining it back in their favour.

• Upvote 1

Whoever gets the Avs better hold on tight, they absolutely lit the Jets up and that was without Drouin. They've had the most dynamic offensive game of any playoff team thus far, and it hasn't all been their top guys either.

https://coloradohockeynow.com/2024/05/01/avalanche-injury-update-drouin-return-possible-in-round-two/

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Whoever gets the Avs better hold on tight, they absolutely lit the Jets up and that was without Drouin. They've had the most dynamic offensive game of any playoff team thus far, and it hasn't all been their top guys either.

https://coloradohockeynow.com/2024/05/01/avalanche-injury-update-drouin-return-possible-in-round-two/

For a team to do that in this modern era of cap parity, it usually means the losing team also played poorly.  I'd put down $1000s that the Avs don't light up the next team the same way they did with the Jets.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

For a team to do that in this modern era of cap parity, it usually means the losing team also played poorly.  I'd put down $1000s that the Avs don't light up the next team the same way they did with the Jets.

I wouldn't expect five plus goals a game, but I'd be surprised if their offense slammed to a halt. 

12 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I wouldn't expect five plus goals a game, but I'd be surprised if their offense slammed to a halt. 

Nah not to a halt.  More like just being normal lol

• Cheers 1

• Jess unpinned this topic