Sabres fire Granato

5 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

If  the next coach doesn't get things going in the next 2 years, both that coach and the GM Kevyn Adams will be gone and the Sabres may even go through another fire sale of players.

IMO; both coach and GM should have been canned. This team is in dire need of a complete revamp of its coaching / scouting and development departments.

4 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

IMO; both coach and GM should have been canned. This team is in dire need of a complete revamp of its coaching / scouting and development departments.

Scouting is fine.  Development usually gets turned over every time a head new coach is brought in anyways.  The GM has been doing better than his predecessors so far, but he's still relatively new.

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Jaimito said:

I'm usually patient with management. I tend to side with Burke, Nonis, Gillis, Benning while they were in charge. Then after seeing what JR and PA could do in such a short time, I'm convinced that these big changes are much more impactful than a coaching carousel.  

Interesting take, given our new head coach has a good chance at winning the Jack Adams in his first year with the team.  After all, I do believe we're still paying off the contracts of Green and Bruce.

7 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Scouting is fine.  Development usually gets turned over every time a head new coach is brought in anyways.  The GM has been doing better than his predecessors so far, but he's still relatively new.

There is no reason a team with that amount of talent shouldn't make the playoffs.  But that's Buffalo for you.  All talent... no identity.  Donny Meatball's team was the definition of "throw everything at the wall and hope raw talent will force a breakthrough.

Edited by Miss Korea

2 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

There is no reason a team with that amount of talent shouldn't make the playoffs.  But that's Buffalo for you.  All talent... no identity.  Donny Meatball's team was the definition of "throw everything at the wall and hope raw talent will force a breakthrough.

Like I said, "systemic problems".  The only common denominator is the owner so that has me worried.  It's tough to blame him for meddling though since his favourite toy, by far, is our NFL team that he is day to day with.

The Sabres young corp just badly need better coaching.  Granato was a decent manager.  The youngin's need a coach though, not a manager.

• Vintage 1

54 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Like I said, "systemic problems".  The only common denominator is the owner so that has me worried.  It's tough to blame him for meddling though since his favourite toy, by far, is our NFL team that he is day to day with.

The Sabres young corp just badly need better coaching.  Granato was a decent manager.  The youngin's need a coach though, not a manager.

Sabres need a Tocchet style coach.  One that implements systems.  Just look at Canucks turnaround in just one season.  From missing the playoffs to Pacific Division champs.  Sabres need that structure.

• ThereItIs 1

On 4/17/2024 at 2:27 PM, Coconuts said:

Berube isn't a bad option.    Tochetts go to guys behind the scenes are Berube and Greener.    He'd at least be able to demand attention.    Buffalo should be turning the corner right now.    So should Ottawa (their goaltending let them down).  

47 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Berube isn't a bad option.    Tochetts go to guys behind the scenes are Berube and Greener.    He'd at least be able to demand attention.    Buffalo should be turning the corner right now.    So should Ottawa (their goaltending let them down).  

Both Buffalo and Ottawa probably reach out, he'll definitely have options as a recent cup winning coach

5 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Hmmm.  Somebody on this board has been saying for months that the Sabres need discipline from a coach and not a buddy.  Now who was that again?  😂

@Alflives, the biggest Sabres fan here after you

:hurhur:

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Both Buffalo and Ottawa probably reach out, he'll definitely have options as a recent cup winning coach

Which is why he'll likely avoid the Sabres.

He doesn't need to take a chance on a messy organization and the owner is already losing millions per year on the team as it is so he won't overpay for him.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Which is why he'll likely avoid the Sabres.

He doesn't need to take a chance on a messy organization and the owner is already losing millions per year on the team as it is so he won't overpay for him.

There's a good chance this turns out to be correct, yes. 

• Cheers 1