Round 1 - Boston Bruins (A2) vs Toronto Maple Leafs (A3)

Guess the series outcomes!  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins in how many games?

2. 2. Which team will have more penalty minutes this series?

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Is there anyone still alive who has watched a Leafs game in the Stanley Cup finals? 

Alf doesn’t count. He’s not from earth. 

Yes. My Dad was a huge Leafs fan back then. We would have watched as a family but I don't remember. But then Leafs fans would prefer not to remember games that happened just a few hours ago.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Boston takes Swayman in the 4th round, 111th in 2017.

Vancouver drafted Jack Rathbone at 95.

Toronto drafted a goaltender named Ian Scott at 110.

Leafs legend Tuukka Rask

Mike Commito] On this day in 2005, the Maple Leafs drafted Tuukka Rask 21st  overall : r/hockey

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, kilgore said:

I know its the Boston Gaw-dens and your the visiting team but ffs, even the Leafs have to be prepared to play a different style once the post season starts.

I am praying the Canucks come out knowing how to prepare for that hard edged but disciplined playoff style, before Nashville does.

They did have a gameplan: hit everything in sight.  And look what that got them - senseless aggression leading to stupid pinches.  

Leafs fans knew all the concerns going into this postseason.  They had shaky goaltending, weak special teams, and a very tired-looking blueline.  The one thing they could rely on (high-end offensive talent) didn't get the job done.  Never a good look when your bottom six outplays your top six.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

They did have a gameplan: hit everything in sight.  And look what that got them - senseless aggression leading to stupid pinches.  

Leafs fans knew all the concerns going into this postseason.  They had shaky goaltending, weak special teams, and a very tired-looking blueline.  The one thing they could rely on (high-end offensive talent) didn't get the job done.  Never a good look when your bottom six outplays your top six.

The Leafs just can't get it together regarding the playoffs. 

Did Matthews even score tonight? 

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

The Leafs just can't get it together regarding the playoffs. 

Did Matthews even score tonight? 

I don't think that's quite it.  The problem with Toronto this year was that they couldn't get it together during the regular season.  There is a reason why the Leafs fanbase headed into this series with such low expectations.  Informed Leafs fans were worried about goaltending - they were right.  Informed Leafs fans were worried about poor PP/PK - they were right.  And of course, the fragile blueline - they were right about that too.

At the end of the day, it is just one game and they can certainly turn it around (especially if Nylander comes back).  But when game 1 raises the same concerns as seen during the preceding 82 games, that's not a promising sign.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

You'd think after all of these years, those dumdums at SN would figure out that a team needs great goaltending and D to be successful in the playoffs. At least Spector has figured it out. They should be embarrassed. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

18 minutes ago, Rekker said:

It's so easy to dump on this Leafs team and it's fawning media. Just popcorn time when the inevitable meltdown starts.

I usually don't bother watching Laffer games because of the absolute BS that accompanies the coverage. Even KB3 makes excuses and tries to explain the poor play away. Matthews post was the game hilite and was so close to turning the game. The fact that Boston hit 4 posts is incidental. I hope Boston takes them out in 4.  

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Nucker67 said:

You'd think after all of these years, those dumdums at SN would figure out that a team needs great goaltending and D to be successful in the playoffs. At least Spector has figured it out. They should be embarrassed. 

Actually, you can still sorta win without either, but you'll just need an insanely effective offence.  Look at Woodcroft's Oilers - they won multiple series without any goaltending or defence.  They had a 50% PP conversion rate or something in the postseason.

Here's one major difference between EDM and TOR: no goals from Matthews, JT, and Marner.  All of them looked like shit last night. 

Good to see the Laffs are excelling in their usual fashion.

And by that, I mean Getting shit kicked by the Bruins. 

MaTtHeWs ScOrEd 70 GoAlS!!

Yeah, but it doesn’t do you any good if you can’t keep the puck out of your own net. This team never learns.

What a joke Toronto is.    They have zero chance of beating the bruins which they haven't done since 1959 in the middle of the last century due to their inability to fix their defense and get a non-AHL goalie.     They are - and always will be a "fair weather" regular season team.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I still want Toronto to win this series. They are just a more exciting team to watch than Boston imo. I also don't think they make it past the NYRs, TBLs, or the FLAs of the world anyway.

I cannot actually cheer for either team, I actually hope they beat each other up for 7 6 overtimes and then lose the next series 4-3 with long overtime goals (wearing out another eastern team,  🙂