Round 1 - Boston Bruins (A2) vs Toronto Maple Leafs (A3)

Guess the series outcomes!  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins in how many games?

2. 2. Which team will have more penalty minutes this series?

9 hours ago, iinatcc said:

The benefit of the doubt I give on the salary structure is that there was an expectation that the cap was going to go up but Covid happened and kind of derailed that. The Cap would probably have been 100 Million by now more than enough to fill supporting players around their star players and their salary. 

Yea but which NHL team did that rule not apply to? 

Lord knows we’ve seen bad PKs over the last couple years but oh my word… Marner’s play on that 2nd Boston goal was ridiculous. He single-handedly imploded their PK structure. I wish I had the clip because it was shocking to watch… I’d almost even say PLD levels of not giving a shit 

52 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

Once the leafs get bounced will I still have to watch 50 Austin Mathews commercials every hockey game on Sportsnet?

crushed it? He must mean the fan’s expectations 

Those commercials are cringy.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

I loved it when Hrudy compared Marner to an 8 year old when he had a hissy fit and threw his loves on the bench. 

I think Nylander (ironic coming from him) told Marner to stop crying. And we have some fans on this board thinking it a smart move to trade Petey for that guy. Totally insane. 

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think Nylander (ironic coming from him) told Marner to stop crying. And we have some fans on this board thinking it a smart move to trade Petey for that guy. Totally insane. 

Marner is not a good hockey player. High skill set. 

At this price point Joshua is significantly better.

For that price the Canucks literally have Demko, Joshua, and Hronek.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chris12345 said:

Yea but which NHL team did that rule not apply to? 

True and there were Benning Bros that used the flat cap to still defend him. 

Though my initial response was from someone saying how the team was built was flawed. But seeing the arguments from Leafs fans when Tavares was signed and from the the folks on TSN (who defended Dubas), there seemed to be a plan that they would pay their core players this huge sum of money and with the cap going up they could fill the supporting players. As the folks on TSN said, Dubas is a numbers guy he probably has already taken all factors into consideration.

Of course Covid happened and it probably derailed things. Should they have pivoted? Perhaps but really if you were going to do a do-over in hindsight I don't think it would be on Matthews, Marner, or Nylander. Maybe they wouldn't have signed Tavares with that huge contract, but considering his NMC and his declining numbers it's probably a contract that would be difficult to move. 

I guess on this what scratched my head is that Matthews extension. He didn't give a hometown discount and only signed for 4 years. Which means his cap hit is going to escalate by the next extension and doesn't benefit the Leafs as the cap will start to rise. They should have locked him up for 8 years with that cap hit. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

True and there were Benning Bros that used the flat cap to still defend him. 

Though my initial response was from someone saying how the team was built was flawed. But seeing the arguments from Leafs fans when Tavares was signed and from the the folks on TSN (who defended Dubas), there seemed to be a plan that they would pay their core players this huge sum of money and with the cap going up they could fill the supporting players. As the folks on TSN said, Dubas is a numbers guy he probably has already taken all factors into consideration.

Of course Covid happened and it probably derailed things. Should they have pivoted? Perhaps but really if you were going to do a do-over in hindsight I don't think it would be on Matthews, Marner, or Nylander. Maybe they wouldn't have signed Tavares with that huge contract, but considering his NMC and his declining numbers it's probably a contract that would be difficult to move. 

I guess on this what scratched my head is that Matthews extension. He didn't give a hometown discount and only signed for 4 years. Which means his cap hit is going to escalate by the next extension and doesn't benefit the Leafs as the cap will start to rise. They should have locked him up for 8 years with that cap hit. 

Yea to me the JT signing was always bad and I don't like Marner. Turn them into goalies and dman.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, chris12345 said:

Yea to me the JT signing was always bad and I don't like Marner. Turn them into goalies and dman.

Maybe Marner should switch to D? 

I remember that one playoffs everyone was raving his defensive ability

If you don't get offended easily, you may get a kick out of Ryan Whitney's tweet from yesterday mocking Leafs fans.  It's of a grizzly bear in a Bruins jersey having it's way with a polar bear in a Leafs jersey.  I'd post it here in privacy quotes, but there would still be complaints to the mods.