Round 1 - Vancouver Canucks (P1) vs Nashville Predators (WC1)

Guess the series outcome!  

265 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win and in how many games?

• Canucks in 4
    • Canucks in 5
    • Canucks in 6
    • Canucks in 7
    • Predators in 4
    • Predators in 5
    • Predators in 6
    • Predators in 7
  2. 2. BONUS - Bring Ryan Kesler out of Retirement to beat the Predators one last time!

• YES!
    • No (Explain why you are wrong in the comments)

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Neither is Cole.  That's only 9 games off Linden.   And Miller has a lot too. 

Was thinking about the Dejardins days.  Green did fine in COVID cup.  

18 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Car flags on...check

Huge flag in living room door.....check

Huge Canucks blanket hanging in upstairs window...check

Small flag in other upstairs window....check

Decals on entranceway window...check

Decals on license plate holder....check

Large Canuck skate logo beach towel hanging in window....check

Canucks blanket on bed...check

Canucks head band, wrist band, bracelets ready for action...check

Finger and toe nails painted metallic blue...check

To do list is not complete but we're getting there.

Uh...what more can you do? Custom paint job on the car? Dye your hair?

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

FTFY. 

Without Petey producing offence, the Canucks won't get far.

Yup, if Petey ain't producing as needed they'd be booted sooner or later. It's a lot easier to focus on the guys who are offensive threats when a top guy is slumping. 

If Petey's cold it frees up teams to focus more on Miller, Boeser, and Hughes. 

He'll likely be ready to go though, this is only his second crack at the playoffs. 

Just now, Coconuts said:

Yup, if Petey ain't producing as needed they'd be booted sooner or later. It's a lot easier to focus on the guys who are offensive threats when a top guy is slumping. 

If Petey's cold it frees up teams to focus more on Miller, Boeser, and Hughes. 

He'll likely be ready to go though, this is only his second crack at the playoffs. 

If Petey is firing on all cylinders along with Miller, I'll predict the Canucks make it to the conference finals.  Then it'll be luck and injury status that determines who gets to the Stanley Cup final.

Just now, HKSR said:

If Petey is firing on all cylinders along with Miller, I'll predict the Canucks make it to the conference finals.  Then it'll be luck and injury status that determines who gets to the Stanley Cup final.

I think they'll get past Nashville, I'm less confident about Edmonton or LA though. If Dallas reaches the conference final I don't see anyone beating them outside of maybe Carolina, who's my pick to come out of the east. 

Just now, Coconuts said:

I think they'll get past Nashville, I'm less confident about Edmonton or LA though. If Dallas reaches the conference final I don't see anyone beating them outside of maybe Carolina, who's my pick to come out of the east. 

Yeah I have Dallas as my predicted Cup winner.  Only way Canucks get to the finals is if all our big guns are firing on all cylinders... Petey, Miller, Boeser, Hughes, and Demko all need to be significant players.  A tall ask I think.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Aside from goaltending (which is huge), I'm more scared of Colorado.

I also think it might take a couple games for Demko to get into mid-season form (he looked okay yesterday, but he did give up a couple goals I think he'd normally stop, especially the game winner).

11 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yeah I have Dallas as my predicted Cup winner.  Only way Canucks get to the finals is if all our big guns are firing on all cylinders... Petey, Miller, Boeser, Hughes, and Demko all need to be significant players.  A tall ask I think.

I'd probably agree about Dallas, them or Carolina, who also look incredibly potent at both ends of the ice since acquiring Guentzel. I'm calling Dallas to beat Vegas in 5, so they'll have time to rest before getting one of Winnipeg or Colorado. Both Winnipeg and Colorado have question marks Dallas doesn't have imo. Colorado's is goaltending whereas Winnipeg's offense can go to sleep at times, Hellebuyck's bailed them out quite a bit this season, but even he'd have a tough go against 8 20+ goal scorers; six of which scored 25+. 

If I had to guess I'd say we go out in the second round and whichever of Edmonton or LA get through end up being stomped. But I'm also predicting LA to beat Edmonton and we've had a tougher time with them than the Oil. I wouldn't be surprised if Demko needs more games to shake off some rust, he was out for quite a while. 

But honestly, regardless of how the chips fall I'm content with how the Canucks season has gone. Just getting back into the dance and getting the core some more playoff experience is a huge win. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Car flags on...check

Huge flag in living room door.....check

Huge Canucks blanket hanging in upstairs window...check

Small flag in other upstairs window....check

Decals on entranceway window...check

Decals on license plate holder....check

Large Canuck skate logo beach towel hanging in window....check

Canucks blanket on bed...check

Canucks head band, wrist band, bracelets ready for action...check

Finger and toe nails painted metallic blue...check

To do list is not complete but we're getting there.

No tattoo? 

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

The team's gonna need him for the whole series.    

I’m fully expecting elite performances from nearly all the Canucks top players. It’s only Petey that I’m not confident about, and if we’re going to go deep I think he needs to be at a PPG pace. I wish I knew what’s behind his hot and cold streaks. 

3 minutes ago, c00kies said:

Aside from goaltending (which is huge), I'm more scared of Colorado.

I also think it might take a couple games for Demko to get into mid-season form (he looked okay yesterday, but he did give up a couple goals I think he'd normally stop, especially the game winner).

MacKinnon has the "it" factor, if he's rolling he's incredibly hard for any team to stop. I'd rather play Winnipeg or Vegas than Colorado or Dallas. 

Demko's probably my biggest question mark against the Preds, precisely because he's been out for quite a while. It might take some time to shake off the rust, he looked good against Calgary but yesterday's game gives me a bit more pause. Practicing and rehabbing aren't the same as playing games, and if he's rusty that could be the difference maker in a seven game series. 

I'll say this about other teams in the playoffs ...

With the parity in the league now so close, the margin of domination is much, much smaller. I don't think you can look at the field this season and say there's a clear cut and dominant favorite like you could in years past. The natural inclination is to do that, sure, but it's looking like any team in the playoffs has a legit shot. They're all that good. That also means these teams can also be beat on any given night.

Each team needs to be dialed in and play mistake free hockey. Momentum shifts and capitalizing on opportunities will be key. Lucky bounces and calls will undoubtedly be huge factors as well. 

Bouncing back from losses will also be key. 

I'll say this in favor of the Canucks, we've found ways to bounce back and not let losing streaks get too out of hand this season. We're no different than most top playoff teams who have all had 4-game losing skids, including Nashville and the Stars. Interestingly, the Jets have had both a 5 game losing streak and 6-game losing streak.

One thing's for sure. We're in for great hockey this playoffs.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

20 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

This is interesting ...

186 votes for the Canucks to win the series.

3 votes for the Preds.

Hmmmm ...

That's definitely not reflective of all the negativity in the PGTs after each loss.

Vancouver always over does things, always..