PGT - Winnipeg beats Canucks in final game of the season.

9 hours ago, Vancan said:

Anytime you can avoid playing a pissed off, healthy, McDavid you do that at all coasts. Lets be real Mcinnon, Kutcherov, Matthews, etc, etc, or anyone on this planet past/present doesn't compare to what a playoff beast mode McDavid could do, and you do not want to face that unless absolutely necessary. 

The word combination of  playoff beast and McDavid seem totally incompatable and somewhat disturbing. Whiny crying tantrum and McDavid seem more appropriate word matches

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

9 hours ago, Vancan said:

Anytime you can avoid playing a pissed off, healthy, McDavid you do that at all coasts. Lets be real Mcinnon, Kutcherov, Matthews, etc, etc, or anyone on this planet past/present doesn't compare to what a playoff beast mode McDavid could do, and you do not want to face that unless absolutely necessary. 

McWhiner Baby will never lead a club to a Cup. He’s too selfish. And no Cup puts him in the group with Dionne. A great point producer but ultimately a loser. And McLoser is his name. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

No Boeser, no Miller, no Cole, no Hronek. Practically iced a preseason team. Lol. I bet people are still overreacting to this game. Bring on Sunday baby, I'm ready for a good series. 

In all fairness Winnipeg scratched some key players too including their starting goalie.

7 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

No Boeser, no Miller, no Cole, no Hronek. Practically iced a preseason team. Lol. I bet people are still overreacting to this game. Bring on Sunday baby, I'm ready for a good series. 

Jets had twice as many players out, including their Vezina goalie. 

Petey looked like he tweaked his knee in an awkward...yes,  a FALL. Hopefully that won't affect the boy.

11 hours ago, JamesB said:

At the end of a great regular season the final game was disappointing, although no-one will care about it once the playoffs get going.  I was looking for a few things and here is how they turned out.

1. I wanted Demmer to continue to look good.  Demmer looked pretty good -- generally under control and playing well, although he allowed three goals (and Winnipeg added an empty net goal). The first and third goals came on defensive breakdowns that gave the Jets grade A chances and the second resulted from a bad line change. It would have been good if he could have stopped one of those shots. But Winnipeg had 3.19 expected goals so Demmer was actually pretty good on the goals allowed above expected stat.

2. Individual Milestones. Wanted to see Garland get to 20 goals, which he did. Wanted to see Hughes add to his scoring numbers to stay ahead of Makar in points by a D. Makar got 1 pt, so Hughes wins the D scoring race. Hughes would have been the Norris favorite even if Makar had tied him or passed him in points, but I think being the top scoring D locks down the Norris.

3. Wanted to see Lindholm get on the board again to show he can contribute. He got a nice goal and was unlucky to have his assist on the Garland goal taken away. Wanted to see Petey get to 90 pts but he fell short and I wanted Mik to get on the board but he didn't.  Mixed results but not bad.

4. Close Game. The game was close and could have gone either way. Winnipeg outshot the Canucks but the Canucks had more high danger chances (13-5). Kind of disappointing but not a bad game. And of course both teams rested some top players.

5. The Pettersson line (with Mik and Hoggy) was good again and was 4-0 in high danger chances. They were unlucky not to score and they continue to play tight defence.

6. On the first Winnipeg goal, Myers made an unnecessary hit on the boards, taking himself out the play. Lafferty then chased behind the net instead of filling in for Myers. Bad plays by both guys. We have not seen much of that this. Myers has shown much more discipline this year.  Maybe just a lack of concentration in a game that did not mean much.

Bottom line: A bit disappointing but only a very minor bump in the road. And no one seemed to get injured. Great season overall and looking forward to a good series against Nashville.

James another good read.

On your point number 6.

I thought that Myers made a good play to break the Winnipeg cycle. The puck was swept back to where Soucy was waiting. Solid play.

The Winnipeg fore checker was coming in to contest for the puck behind the net. No problem. The fore checker and Soucy tie up and the puck would normally carry on past the scrum made by Soucy and the fore checker with Lafferty being in position to get to the puck behind the net.

Unfortunately, Soucy didn't tie up the Winnipeg players stick and this player was able to deflect the puck out front to a spot that Lafferty had just vacated, perhaps a little too early.

Rather than blame Myers, who I thought played well for most of the game, I would point my finger at Soucy and Lafferty for misplays on that goal.

Most goals are not the result of a single poor play but rather a combination of good play by the opposition and a poor play by the defending team, often with a fortuitous bounce thrown in. This is pretty much what I saw happening with this Winnipeg goal. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

It was a pre-season game, by both teams, no Hellebuyck,  Morrisey, Conner etc.   And yes a few were bemoaning this loss in the GDT 

Yes.... its searching for sonethings to moan about. 
If anything the game was perhaps more important to Pegs than Nucks seeing they were playing infront of their home fans. 

The games start on Sunday. Nothing else matters. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Artemus said:

James another good read.

On your point number 6.

I thought that Myers made a good play to break the Winnipeg cycle. The puck was swept back to where Soucy was waiting. Solid play.

The Winnipeg fore checker was coming in to contest for the puck behind the net. No problem. The fore checker and Soucy tie up and the puck would normally carry on past the scrum made by Soucy and the fore checker with Lafferty being in position to get to the puck behind the net.

Unfortunately, Soucy didn't tie up the Winnipeg players stick and this player was able to deflect the puck out front to a spot that Lafferty had just vacated, perhaps a little too early.

Rather than blame Myers, who I thought played well for most of the game, I would point my finger at Soucy and Lafferty for misplays on that goal.

Most goals are not the result of a single poor play but rather a combination of good play by the opposition and a poor play by the defending team, often with a fortuitous bounce thrown in. This is pretty much what I saw happening with this Winnipeg goal. 

Good points about the first Winnipeg goal. You are right that most goals result from a combination of factors. And I admit that I am not sure what the actual defensive responsibilities were on this play in the Canuck system. However, I think one of the key elements is that until your team has possession of the puck someone has to take the net front (or at least check any opposing player going to the net front). I think that was probably Lafferty's responsibility on this play. 

As for Myers, I agree he had a good game (and has had a good season -- by far his best as a Canuck). And maybe going for the body check on that play was reasonable. It is often a close call as to whether you should make the hit and take yourself out of the play. In the past Myers have often made the wrong call in that situation but this season he has been much better (no doubt thanks in part to Adam Foote).

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

It was a pre-season game, by both teams, no Hellebuyck,  Morrisey, Conner etc.   And yes a few were bemoaning this loss in the GDT 

It was to be expected, I heard we were done for after the Coyotes game. Shame our playoff run ended before it began.

Edited by JeremyCuddles
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1
  • Wiener 1

15 hours ago, Vancan said:

How come that we have not seen that "beast mode" yet? Maybe it is just a figment of imagination?

16 hours ago, Praesidian said:

Losing the last game of the year, especially one that most probably had circled as a must-win, really shines a spotlight on our team, doesn't it?  

No one had this circled as a must win, lol. If they did, they don’t understand the hockey. Neither coach thought that, each resting multiple players.