[First Round] Dallas Stars (C1) vs. Vegas Golden Knights (WC2)

Who will win the series?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Stars in 7
    • Stars in 6
    • Stars in 5
    • Stars in 4
    • Golden Knights in 4
    • Golden Knights in 5
    • Golden Knights in 6
    • Golden Knights in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The coverage in this series is brutal.

It’s just PK being pissy when the Knights are playing bad because he bet on them to win. 🙄

He hasn't been the same since Lindsey dumped him.

1 hour ago, Zimmyparttwo said:

Wild generalizations aside, but why is it so easy for all the other teams to score goals? #driedupwell

Bad d and goal tending = lot of goals.  

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Alflives said:

F Dallas and F Vegas. True Canuck fans hate both these clubs. F them all! 

Dallas is one of a few teams I don't mind winning if the Canadian teams are out.   They gave us a memorable series in 94,  Linden and Modano went 1-2 and were neck and neck on a HHOF career until their mid - 20's ... back then it was a thing in print media comparing the two and who was the better player ... Linden was ahead in that regard according to some after 94.     Don't mind them, and unlike Vegas, they've actually paid their dues.     Plus think we'd do ok against them, and would welcome another series with them. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Dallas is one of a few teams I don't mind winning if the Canadian teams are out.   They gave us a memorable series in 94,  Linden and Modano went 1-2 and were neck and neck on a HHOF career until their mid - 20's ... back then it was a thing in print media comparing the two and who was the better player ... Linden was ahead in that regard according to some after 94.     Don't mind them, and unlike Vegas, they've actually paid their dues.     Plus think we'd do ok against them, and would welcome another series with them. 

On 4/19/2024 at 1:42 PM, HKSR said:

I'm picking Dallas as Cup champions.  So much depth with no weaknesses anywhere in the lineup.

My cup prediction, but hoping Florida wins it.

15 hours ago, Zimmyparttwo said:

Wild generalizations aside, but why is it so easy for all the other teams to score goals? #driedupwell

We play low-event hockey when we don't have Demko in net, it isn't just our opponent playing with a more defensive strategy, we are as well.

One of our biggest scoring threats isn't factoring in scoring, like if Petey is playing like anywhere close to he did in those bubble playoffs, we the series could've been over already.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Vegas has to be wishing they'd found a way to put Dallas down in game three, Dallas looks like a team that will not be denied now. 

I would never count out the $100M VGK...

I do hope Dallas finishes them off because their cap situation this offseason will absolutely mean they will lose at least 1 key player from their roster.

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I would never count out the $100M VGK...

I do hope Dallas finishes them off because their cap situation this offseason will absolutely mean they will lose at least 1 key player from their roster.

Perhaps not, but Dallas undoubtedly has momentum now 

I think Vegas will be fine unfortunately, they'll have some tough choices to make regarding their cap but I have a hard time not seeing them being a better team next season 

Injuries rocked them this season 

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Perhaps not, but Dallas undoubtedly has momentum now 

I think Vegas will be fine unfortunately, they'll have some tough choices to make regarding their cap but I have a hard time not seeing them being a better team next season 

Injuries rocked them this season 

I dunno... a tad under $900k in cap space for next season remaining (although Lehner may be LTIR for the remainder of his contract I guess)...

Marchessault, Stephenson, Mantha, Carrier, Dorofeyev, Amadio, Martinez... all UFA/RFA.  Something has gotta give. 

Martinez is gone for sure.

So $5.9M remaining likely means Marchessault is gone.  Stephenson will likely cost $5Mish, so he's likely gone too.  Doubt they bring back Mantha.

Amadio, Dorofeyev, and Carrier would probably be the returning for a combined $4M+ and that's about it.  Losing Marchessault and Stephenson is a big loss IMO.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I dunno... a tad under $900k in cap space for next season remaining (although Lehner may be LTIR for the remainder of his contract I guess)...

Marchessault, Stephenson, Mantha, Carrier, Dorofeyev, Amadio, Martinez... all UFA/RFA.  Something has gotta give. 

Martinez is gone for sure.

So $5.9M remaining likely means Marchessault is gone.  Stephenson will likely cost $5Mish, so he's likely gone too.  Doubt they bring back Mantha.

Amadio, Dorofeyev, and Carrier would probably be the returning for a combined $4M+ and that's about it.  Losing Marchessault and Stephenson is a big loss IMO.

Lehner will probably never play again, which gets them another 5M

Martinez was never going to be brought back, he's nearly 37, that pays for most of Hanifin

Mantha was almost certainly a rental, he'd be dumb not to try his luck on the open market after putting up 20 goals

Dorofeyev is an RFA without a whole lot of leverage imo, even if his point per game was good this season, I think he'd bridged 

Amadio could be a casualty, but considering he was originally claimed off waivers they've gotten quite a bit out of him, he'll probably try and get a bigger bag elsewhere

Carrier probably wouldn't cost much to retain, he's been with them from the start so he may even take less

Stephenson and Marchessault are where it gets tricky, but it depends on what both players are asking for, I think the solution to keeping both would have to probably involve trading Karlsson's 5.9M out 

I don't see them being able to run Eichel, Stephenson, and Karlsson down the middle going forward under the constraints of the cap, but it helps that Karlsson is probably positive value in a trade 

I think a lot of it will boil down to whether Stephenson and Marchessault are willing to take less to stay or not 

If Marchessault wants too much they may just have to part ways, he's been very productive for them but he'll also be 34 in December, I think teams would be hesitant to give him extensive term via UFA as well

Edited by Coconuts

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Lehner will probably never play again, which gets them another 5M

Martinez was never going to be brought back, he's nearly 37, that pays for most of Hanifin

Mantha was almost certainly a rental, he'd be dumb not to try his luck on the open market after putting up 20 goals

Dorofeyev is an RFA without a whole lot of leverage imo, even if his point per game was good this season, I think he'd bridged 

Amadio could be a casualty, but considering he was originally claimed off waivers they've gotten quite a bit out of him, he'll probably try and get a bigger bag elsewhere

Carrier probably wouldn't cost much to retain, he's been with them from the start so he may even take less

Stephenson and Marchessault are where it gets tricky, but it depends on what both players are asking for, I think the solution to keeping both would have to probably involve trading Karlsson's 5.9M out 

I don't see them being able to run Eichel, Stephenson, and Karlsson down the middle going forward under the constraints of the cap, but it helps that Karlsson is probably positive value in a trade 

I think a lot of it will boil down to whether Stephenson and Marchessault are willing to take less to stay or not 

Stephenson is worth $5Mish.  Marchessault is probably $7M+.  No idea how they'd fit them in without trading someone else significant out.  Like you said, maybe Karlsson gets moved, but that's a huge loss too. 

Just now, HKSR said:

Stephenson is worth $5Mish.  Marchessault is probably $7M+.  No idea how they'd fit them in without trading someone else significant out.  Like you said, maybe Karlsson gets moved, but that's a huge loss too. 

They'll lose someone, maybe a few someone's, but I still think they'll be better next season 

Injuries really hurt them, which is the biggest reason why I think they'll have a better showing next season 

Could see them finishing in a wildcard but I could very well see them winning the division as well, depends on how things play out, losing good players for cap reasons is just one of the things that comes with being a good team 

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

They'll lose someone, maybe a few someone's, but I still think they'll be better next season 

Injuries really hurt them, which is the biggest reason why I think they'll have a better showing next season 

Could see them finishing in a wildcard but I could very well see them winning the division as well, depends on how things play out, losing good players for cap reasons is just one of the things that comes with being a good team 

They could be better as Hanifin is an upgrade on Martinez, but not sure if Hertl is really an improvement on Marchessault (I'm assuming Marchessault is gonna be gone.. he's gonna be very expensive to keep).  Stephenson likely gone too, so they realistically lose 2 top 6F, and gain 1.  BUT they gain a top 4D.  Bit of a wash IMO. 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, HKSR said:

They could be better as Hanifin is an upgrade on Martinez, but not sure if Hertl is really an improvement on Marchessault (I'm assuming Marchessault is gonna be gone.. he's gonna be very expensive to keep).  Stephenson likely gone too, so they realistically lose 2 top 6F, and gain 1.  BUT they gain a top 4D.  Bit of a wash IMO. 

Not sure what to make of Hertl, he's a wildcard who's hard to gauge, his numbers have held up pretty well during San Jose's slide so I could see him topping out as a guy who is closer to point per game if surrounded by better talent 

Could also see him being a player who maybe doesn't age well, that's a lengthy deal they took on 

Vegas is fortunate they won when they did, because sooner or later their lack of talented youth is probably going to catch up with them

I wouldn't make any firm bets about who stays and who goes, it Vegas has demonstrated anything it's that they're tough to predict and that they're willing to be ruthless

I would not be shocked to see them try and move out Karlsson or even Barbashev 

One thing Vegas has done well is manage to retain players while offering most limited trade protection at best  

Edited by Coconuts

11 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Not sure what to make of Hertl, he's a wildcard who's hard to gauge, his numbers have held up pretty well during San Jose's slide so I could see him topping out as a guy who is closer to point per game if surrounded by better talent 

Could also see him being a player who maybe doesn't age well, that's a lengthy deal they took on 

Vegas is fortunate they won when they did, because sooner or later their lack of talented youth is probably going to catch up with them

I wouldn't make any firm bets about who stays and who goes, it Vegas has demonstrated anything it's that they're tough to predict and that they're willing to be ruthless

I would not be shocked to see them try and move out Karlsson or even Barbashev 

One thing Vegas has done well is manage to retain players while offering most limited trade protection at best  

Yeah I looked more in depth on Hertl, and it actually surprised me that he has NEVER had a PPG season in his entire career.  His absolute best season was 35 goals and 74 points, and that was 6 years ago in his early/mid 20s.  Marchessault's stats over the years are quite similar.  I'd say Marchessault and Hertl are probably a wash... given that Hertl is a few years younger, I can see why VGK would just consider Hertl as Marchessault's replacement.

Stephenson is the guy that I think would be a really big loss for VGK.  He's underrated IMO.  If we can't keep Lindholm, it'd be incredible if we could land Stephenson via UFA. 

You're right though.  VGK is extremely aggressive when it comes to moves.  They'll sell everything in the future to keep winning games.

• Cheers 1

On 5/2/2024 at 8:52 AM, RJCF96 said:

We play low-event hockey when we don't have Demko in net, it isn't just our opponent playing with a more defensive strategy, we are as well.

One of our biggest scoring threats isn't factoring in scoring, like if Petey is playing like anywhere close to he did in those bubble playoffs, we the series could've been over already.

High, low, middle event hockey, we could have scored three goals in the first period if could just get shots on net! That was a lot pressure leading to opportunities. Is Nashville really that good at suppressing?
My observations are they are playing like rabid dogs in all zones and can stay committed because of our lack of goals and inability to take them away from dictating the way the game is played.
Our effort is certainly not flagging but it seems in trying to play low event, Tocchet’s strategy is suppressing aggressive offensive opportunity. I guess I’m of the mind that if we’re going to go down let’s go down all guns blazing! Which is probably why I’m not an NHL coach!