[First Round] Edmonton Oilers (P2) vs. Los Angeles Kings (P3)

Who will win the series?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Oilers in 7
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 4
    • Kings in 4
    • Kings in 5
    • Kings in 6
    • Kings in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

50 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

True but if Canucks plan to beat the Preds, Oilers is the best chance Vancouver has advancing from the 2nd round. 

LA just has some mojo on Vancouver for some reason

Too early to make such a statement so much can change,one series at a time

These messy defensive teams will be a breeze for a team like Vancouver, Dallas or Vegas. I thought LA would be a lot stronger defensively but McDavid just ate them alive where he probably shouldn't have. I do thing he's the best player in the world but come on, the defence was taken for a walk on two spins and Edmonton just passed it straight through the crease and slot multiple times. Hyman standing essentially in the crease a couple of times for some easy goals as well. A strong defence boxes this stuff right out and has sticks in those lanes so even if McDavid is dancing around, those passes don't get through. I can't see this pretty play work against Vancouver's defence.

46 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

These messy defensive teams will be a breeze for a team like Vancouver, Dallas or Vegas. I thought LA would be a lot stronger defensively but McDavid just ate them alive where he probably shouldn't have. I do thing he's the best player in the world but come on, the defence was taken for a walk on two spins and Edmonton just passed it straight through the crease and slot multiple times. Hyman standing essentially in the crease a couple of times for some easy goals as well. A strong defence boxes this stuff right out and has sticks in those lanes so even if McDavid is dancing around, those passes don't get through. I can't see this pretty play work against Vancouver's defence.

The LA Kings rely on a 1-3-1 system which is the ultimate short-term solution for any struggling hockey team.  It puts an extreme emphasis on the neutral zone and preventing clean entries.  Once the opponent has broken through (using speed and weakside defenders coming up to assist) and set up in the O-zone, you now have to rely on a completely different set of strategies.  LA's greatest weakness is that goaltending tandem. 

Talbot and Rittich - two guys who were chased out of Edmonton and Calgary, respectively.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think Kings were concerned McD would just skate around everyone and score a highlight reel goal but instead he would draw them to him and eyes on  him, while he would just make a great quick pass to a player for a goal, It will be nice if EP can get more involved and take over a game like that drawing players to him, and freeing up his teammates for easy tap ins

The Canucks generally pass outside the perimeter, wearing out or trying to catch someone out of position, which uses a lot of time and if Canucks make the mistake it is cleared, skating fast with movement beating his check forces someone else out of position to cover, and then the chaos, speed kills

The Kings need to focus on McDick and Drai. I realize that is easier said than done, however it may be the only chance to win this series. Those two have to feel pain every time they touch the puck. Take the body, the puck is secondary. Shadow and frustrate them. Use this tactic regardless of the score. Think of it this way, a suspension is worth it if it takes them out of the series.

7 minutes ago, Reg said:

The Kings need to focus on McDick and Drai. I realize that is easier said than done, however it may be the only chance to win this series. Those two have to feel pain every time they touch the puck. Take the body, the puck is secondary. Shadow and frustrate them. Use this tactic regardless of the score. Think of it this way, a suspension is worth it if it takes them out of the series.

200w (2).gif

1 hour ago, Ballisticsports said:

I think Kings were concerned McD would just skate around everyone and score a highlight reel goal but instead he would draw them to him and eyes on  him, while he would just make a great quick pass to a player for a goal, It will be nice if EP can get more involved and take over a game like that drawing players to him, and freeing up his teammates for easy tap ins

The Canucks generally pass outside the perimeter, wearing out or trying to catch someone out of position, which uses a lot of time and if Canucks make the mistake it is cleared, skating fast with movement beating his check forces someone else out of position to cover, and then the chaos, speed kills

The Oilers offence is centered around Connor McDavid.  This year has started to cycle behind the net (without the puck) with speed, giving him multiple options when he gets the puck: come around the other side and make a pass to an open man, cut straight at the net to draw defenders, or cut back behind the net the same way he came to force a switch on the defender.

The Canucks offence... is centered around Quinn Hughes.  Get the puck low, forcing the opponents to collapse, and then feeding it back up to the point, either directly or just by rimming it.  Usually Hughes will get the puck and have tons of room to do whatever he wants to do (shoot, skate down, or make a scissor route across the blueline).

I don't think our offensive tactics are inferior.  It's just different.  It's not like we botch the set-up, leading to turnover rushes.  We are one of the top teams in the league when it comes to suppressing rush chances - we only allow around 2 or 3 per game (I forget the specific number but it's one of the lowest in the NHL).

There's only one puck to go around.  If Pettersson isn't handling the puck, you can bet it's in the hands of Quinn Hughes, and that's not a bad thing.  If anything, Petey should take a page out of Nikita Kucherov's playbook.  His passing is sublime and he does it without handling much or requiring much space.

21 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Based on what? We embarrassed them in the regular season.

They are a different team with Kris Knoblauch and they are a different team with Connor McDavid.  That last game is a good indicator of how to attack their defence, but obviously when WE are defending against them things will be a lot different.

5 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Side note: I was a little irked by the anthem last night. First of all, why was he in the crowd? Secondly, the anthem singer holding the mic to the crowd to sing along is our thing.

It's a Mark Donnelly thing.  He is a quackpot and no longer welcome to Canucks games.  He's also not a very good singer - I'm glad we've moved on from him.

3 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

It's a Mark Donnelly thing.  He is a quackpot and no longer welcome to Canucks games.  He's also not a very good singer - I'm glad we've moved on from him.

Yes he was the one to do it but he was the Canucks anthem singer. We were the only arena to do it iirc. Now we bring it back for the playoffs and the oilers singer copies it the next day? That's lame.

14 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

The Oilers offence is centered around Connor McDavid.  This year has started to cycle behind the net (without the puck) with speed, giving him multiple options when he gets the puck: come around the other side and make a pass to an open man, cut straight at the net to draw defenders, or cut back behind the net the same way he came to force a switch on the defender.

The Canucks offence... is centered around Quinn Hughes.  Get the puck low, forcing the opponents to collapse, and then feeding it back up to the point, either directly or just by rimming it.  Usually Hughes will get the puck and have tons of room to do whatever he wants to do (shoot, skate down, or make a scissor route across the blueline).

I don't think our offensive tactics are inferior.  It's just different.  It's not like we botch the set-up, leading to turnover rushes.  We are one of the top teams in the league when it comes to suppressing rush chances - we only allow around 2 or 3 per game (I forget the specific number but it's one of the lowest in the NHL).

There's only one puck to go around.  If Pettersson isn't handling the puck, you can bet it's in the hands of Quinn Hughes, and that's not a bad thing.  If anything, Petey should take a page out of Nikita Kucherov's playbook.  His passing is sublime and he does it without handling much or requiring much space.

They are a different team with Kris Knoblauch and they are a different team with Connor McDavid.  That last game is a good indicator of how to attack their defence, but obviously when WE are defending against them things will be a lot different.

And they have to contend with our C depth and d wall and Demko.

Edited by Bob Long

34 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

And they have to contend with our C depth and d wall and Demko.

Stuart Skinner is probably better than Talbot/Rittich.  Demko is probably better than almost everyone in the league.

• ThereItIs 1