[First Round] Edmonton Oilers (P2) vs. Los Angeles Kings (P3)

Who will win the series?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Oilers in 7
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 4
    • Kings in 4
    • Kings in 5
    • Kings in 6
    • Kings in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

2 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Yes he was the one to do it but he was the Canucks anthem singer. We were the only arena to do it iirc. Now we bring it back for the playoffs and the oilers singer copies it the next day? That's lame.

Popular bits that involve the crowd almost always get copied though, NHL organizations are in the entertainment business. We were famous for the towel bit, which led to towels at games, other teams have been doing the towel bit in the playoffs for years now too. 

Every fanbase across the league does the wave, or various similar bits, every arena DJ tries to involve the crowd, all of those things started somewhere. 

At the end of the day things have to start somewhere, it doesn't really matter who did it first. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

The Oilers offence is centered around Connor McDavid.  This year has started to cycle behind the net (without the puck) with speed, giving him multiple options when he gets the puck: come around the other side and make a pass to an open man, cut straight at the net to draw defenders, or cut back behind the net the same way he came to force a switch on the defender.

The Canucks offence... is centered around Quinn Hughes.  Get the puck low, forcing the opponents to collapse, and then feeding it back up to the point, either directly or just by rimming it.  Usually Hughes will get the puck and have tons of room to do whatever he wants to do (shoot, skate down, or make a scissor route across the blueline).

I don't think our offensive tactics are inferior.  It's just different.  It's not like we botch the set-up, leading to turnover rushes.  We are one of the top teams in the league when it comes to suppressing rush chances - we only allow around 2 or 3 per game (I forget the specific number but it's one of the lowest in the NHL).

There's only one puck to go around.  If Pettersson isn't handling the puck, you can bet it's in the hands of Quinn Hughes, and that's not a bad thing.  If anything, Petey should take a page out of Nikita Kucherov's playbook.  His passing is sublime and he does it without handling much or requiring much space.

They are a different team with Kris Knoblauch and they are a different team with Connor McDavid.  That last game is a good indicator of how to attack their defence, but obviously when WE are defending against them things will be a lot different.

Why I think Oilers don't have a problem playing the Kings 1-3-1, is because of a forward breaking through and controlling it and making that system not an issue for them

• Like 1

2 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Yes he was the one to do it but he was the Canucks anthem singer. We were the only arena to do it iirc. Now we bring it back for the playoffs and the oilers singer copies it the next day? That's lame.

He did it at both games I was in Edmonton for last year so it's not a recent thing though still copying Donnelly regardless 

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

He did it at both games I was in Edmonton for last year so it's not a recent thing though still copying Donnelly regardless 

I guess I am not often tuning into to edmonton games when they are playing the anthem. Yesterday was the first time I noticed it.

1 minute ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I guess I am not often tuning into to edmonton games when they are playing the anthem. Yesterday was the first time I noticed it.

I forgot about it until he did it yesterday but he does do it at least occasionally 

29 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

Why I think Oilers don't have a problem playing the Kings 1-3-1, is because of a forward breaking through and controlling it and making that system not an issue for them

I honestly don't think most teams would have a problem breaking down a 1-3-1 on a regular basis.  It's a desperation tactic designed to get you wins above all else... in the regular season.  The reason teams don't use it is because it's fairly easy to break down if opponents have the time to specifically beat it (ie. in playoffs).

We faced the Kings 4 times over the last couple months.  That isnt enough time for coaches/players to familiarize themselves with the strengths and weaknesses of the 1-3-1.  What do you think Edmonton is doing right now during off-days?  They're probably watching videos of the 1-3-1 nonstop, and how to beat it.  They're probably running neutral zone drills on how to get into the zone quickly with numbers before the trap can get set up.  Once they're in the attacking zone, you have one of the best O-zone offenses matching up against one of the worst D-zone defenses.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

And they have to contend with our C depth and d wall and Demko.

2 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Stuart Skinner is probably better than Talbot/Rittich.  Demko is probably better than almost everyone in the league.

Did we just jinx it?  We jinxed it, didn't we ...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, PeteyBoeser said:

Ya I’m glad they proved me wrong. But they didn’t have McDavid last game we played them. 

So they're a one man team? Thanks for clearing that up. 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Would be great! That would shut up all those McWhiner fans who frequent here. They make Alf puke. 

And at least Kings fans don't celebrate injuries

• ThereItIs 1