[PGT] PDO vs Preds - Game 1 (April 21, 2024)

MikeyD

1 hour ago, Joshua.Guy said:

Petey had a decent night. He's always solid defensively. Got his stick in lanes in our slot. Then he got a couple quick shots off and actually connected on a one timer that missed the net. He had a couple good sneaky passes that would've sprung Hoggy but were bobbled. The line itself is poorly constructed with Mikheyev or Lafferty on his wing. Don't really have a solution but as it is they can double team Pettersson with little worry of the other two guys on his line. 

He had some good defensive plays in our zone in the slot too.

Just needs to gain some confidence in the o zone

Of course if he buried his one timer on the PP, none of us would be talking...

• Cheers 2

Just now, Hammertime said:

They have tried him with everyone though. The Lotto line is a terrible use of personnel. Only makes sense of we're down a goal late in the game. Realistically that Boeser Miller Suter line produces as much without Pete as with. Lindholm makes sense with Garland Dakota as they'll be line matching important fo's. That kinda just leaves Pete with Hog, Mik, Pod, Lafferty. On the plus side maybe gets Pete some weaker competition and Miller Lindholm will be playing all the hard matchups. 

Just looking at a few combos from the past few years...

These are all small sample sizes as none of them have spent a lot of time together as a trio, but it certainly makes some sense.

Hog-Petey-Lafferty has been the worst combo with a CF% of 42.22% and FF% of 38.71% (yikes... not sure why Tocchet even tried this for Game 1)

Hog-Petey-Podz is decent with CF% of 54.97% and FF% of 56%.

Best combo? 

Hog-Petey-Mikheyev -- CF% of 61.74%, and FF% of 64.71%

Seeing that, I'd like to see for Game 2:

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Petey-Mikheyev

Joshua-Lindholm-Garland

Podkolzin-Blueger-Lafferty

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Tocc having a pulse on the game is a no brainer, but I really liked how he said he’s leaning on certain guys tomorrow to bring it/create momentum for the team.  I believe game 2 will be even more intense than game 1.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, garthsbutcher said:

He was absolutely horrible last night, my brother and i had an over under bet on the number of times he falls down, line was 7. Hes like a new born baby dear out there.

Yeah, I know its not popular to discuss this topic, but Petey looks disturbingly like he did the last time just after he signed a bigger contract from the previous one.  I wonder if he is putting too much pressure on himself to live up to what he signed for. That's why I hated the eastern media, then local media followed, basically forcing the hand of both parties to reach an agreement before Petey really wanted to, by running a fake story about Petey leaving the team if he isn't signed NOW.  And literally creating a real distraction in claiming that there would be a distraction, if Petey wasn't taken care of immediately.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Just looking at a few combos from the past few years...

These are all small sample sizes as none of them have spent a lot of time together as a trio, but it certainly makes some sense.

Hog-Petey-Lafferty has been the worst combo with a CF% of 42.22% and FF% of 38.71% (yikes... not sure why Tocchet even tried this for Game 1)

Hog-Petey-Podz is decent with CF% of 54.97% and FF% of 56%.

Best combo? 

Hog-Petey-Mikheyev -- CF% of 61.74%, and FF% of 64.71%

Seeing that, I'd like to see for Game 2:

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Petey-Mikheyev

Joshua-Lindholm-Garland

Podkolzin-Blueger-Lafferty

Mik Pete Lafferty if I remember correctly was the best performing line Pete was a part of this season. 

1 hour ago, AmyTheGma said:

How bad would it be to have Dak and Garly with Petey?  Then you could have Lindy with Hoggy and Mik for a more traditional 3rd line

Breaking up a line that was huge in game 1 might not be the best idea. Petey needs to move his feet and trust his skill set and determination to be a difference maker. 

Re Podz vs PDG: I don't think a swap of the two would make a huge difference, but my gut tells me that Tocc goes with the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" play.

He'll probably shuffle the deck a bit if and when the 'Nucks lose....especially if they have trouble scoring....

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Sergiomomesso said:

Breaking up a line that was huge in game 1 might not be the best idea. Petey needs to move his feet and trust his skill set and determination to be a difference maker. 

I would go 

Hoggy Petey Pods

Instead.  

One more rant regarding Petey:

I think this is an important year for him learning/development wise.  

Its his first full year under Tocchett.  I think Petey has fully bought into Tocc’s philosophy-take what they give you.  He’s playing a very methodical game and (I believe) his floor is raising.  While I do think Hoggy is a good linemate, having another systems guy that can produce like a Guentzel for example would likely result in more dynamic play.  What I like about Petey though is that he is committed to playing within the team structure (not that he was a free wheeler) but in the past he might try to force more skilled plays.  Even though people think he is struggling I see a more evolved approach to his game that will continue to get better.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Joshua.Guy said:

Petey had a decent night. He's always solid defensively. Got his stick in lanes in our slot. Then he got a couple quick shots off and actually connected on a one timer that missed the net. He had a couple good sneaky passes that would've sprung Hoggy but were bobbled. The line itself is poorly constructed with Mikheyev or Lafferty on his wing. Don't really have a solution but as it is they can double team Pettersson with little worry of the other two guys on his line. 

I don’t think teams would be wise to ignore Hogs. Kid had 24 goals and is a ferocious forechecker.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, AngryGoose said:

One more rant regarding Petey:

I think this is an important year for him learning/development wise.  

Its his first full year under Tocchett.  I think Petey has fully bought into Tocc’s philosophy-take what they give you.  He’s playing a very methodical game and (I believe) his floor is raising.  While I do think Hoggy is a good linemate, having another systems guy that can produce like a Guentzel for example would likely result in more dynamic play.  What I like about Petey though is that he is committed to playing within the team structure (not that he was a free wheeler) but in the past he might try to force more skilled plays.  Even though people think he is struggling I see a more evolved approach to his game that will continue to get better.

Very good observation, I could see some truth in this.  Also makes sense why Tocc is not being too hard on him.  He can see he is trying to play that style of game

• Cheers 3

Imagine if we also had Tryamkin. 

Joshua and Zadorov are must signs. Even more so than Hronek imo. You can’t find power forwards with the skill Joshua has or players with the size and skating ability of Zadorov. Teams need to have their heads on a swivel coming into our zone because of him. 

Zadorov adds a major presence and swag to the team as well. 

Hope Podz is in for PDG next game and him and Lafferty swap spots. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

He had some good defensive plays in our zone in the slot too.

Just needs to gain some confidence in the o zone

Of course if he buried his one timer on the PP, none of us would be talking...

A player of Petey’s talent will not stay in a slump forever. I have a feeling when he does break through the scoring will come in droves.

Hopefully it’s not to late to help the team when that happens.

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

They have tried him with everyone though. The Lotto line is a terrible use of personnel. Only makes sense of we're down a goal late in the game. Realistically that Boeser Miller Suter line produces as much without Pete as with. Lindholm makes sense with Garland Dakota as they'll be line matching important fo's. That kinda just leaves Pete with Hog, Mik, Pod, Lafferty. On the plus side maybe gets Pete some weaker competition and Miller Lindholm will be playing all the hard matchups. 

From this roster, I'd love to see Joshua with EP. Not gonna happen as long as Joshua and Garland are killing it. But I'd like to see it for an extended try.

42 minutes ago, AngryGoose said:

Tocc having a pulse on the game is a no brainer, but I really liked how he said he’s leaning on certain guys tomorrow to bring it/create momentum for the team.  I believe game 2 will be even more intense than game 1.

I watched the whole presser. Tocchet IMO is the most intelligent coach we’ve had since the Irish man.

And I’m not trying to throw shade on AV.

2 minutes ago, Redhdlois said:

Ran into JT Miller and the family this afternoon at Loblaws in West Vanc.   No pic as I wanted to respect his privacy, but I said “awesome game last night” and wished him all the best. Big smile and a thank you.

Nice.  How was Deb doing? 😂

• Haha 3
  • ThereItIs 1