[PGT] PDO vs Preds - Game 1 (April 21, 2024)

MikeyD

6 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

The UFA decisions are going to be fascinating, to me the window is 4 years, Joshua & Lindholm are at the top of the list. (Next up Zadorov) 

There's many good pieces on this team & we are just getting started. 

The window can be at least 8 years more.

Think about it. We have cheap good players when the OEL  penalty is the worst.

Miller and Petey got less than what they could have got.

If that continues with Boeser, Lindy, Zad, Hronek because we actually is a team that can win the cup we are in a good position. 

As I said before, when we play our best we can be without both Petey and Hughes and still win. Tocchets coaching is that good.

• Like 2
  • chaos 1

3 hours ago, filthy animal said:

Im starting to lose hope on Petey. This isn't just a one-off, its almost been like this for a month and a half now, even more. This was Petey's night. Win a few draws, chip the puck in and out, lose almost every board battle, getting knocked on his ass repeatedly. He's just slow getting to pucks and he's really hesitating like when the puck hits his stick, he doesn't know what to do with it. That play where he toe dragged it and missed his shot, he hesitated more than anything. Granted some of the guys were quiet like Boeser, but at least there was some fight, like he was beating guys to pucks and wasn't easily knocked off. There was some resemblance of effort. If Lindholm and Miller play like this, and if we can even get 70% of what EP40 can really do, this series is going to be over QUICK. Our defencemen played very well tonight

During that period Tocchet has really sharpened the defence play. 
We actually can play without both Petey and Hughes in games like this because their finesse isn’t needed.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, HKSR said:

I've lost hope that Petey will return to form like he was earlier this season.  Something just isn't right with him.

It's puzzling and seems like a confidence thing. Maybe takes one breakout game, hopefully 

Edited by Rekker

27 minutes ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

It's a team people, everyone fought for the win. Petey had some big shots, miller with the grit, demko with the big saves, garly with the pass etc etc Going to take everyone to win this series. You can nitpick or get on board. Over some of the whiners. 

Petey at least attempted a slap shot on the PP and that drag move to wrist shot was nice. He just missed the net which isn't going to score you many goals. But my takeaway was at least he is attempting them. He wasn't 3 weeks ago.

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

70% of EP still means the series is over quick.   It's a team sport, if EPs job is to be the main target  and comes out even, while Miller's and Lindholms line does the heavy lifting we should be fine against most teams in the playoffs.    

COL.   Yikes.    They dominated for long stretches and lost.    At some point, we will need EP to find a gear to get to 100%.    Maybe not this series.   Some players get you to the post season, others shine in it.    Not sure if EPs not going to have to go through the same growing pains the Sedins did , and they had plenty of cracks at it (WCE era).  

We all know he's been "off" since February.   Some of us, were even saying he wasn't 100% when he was piling up points.    At the very least, he's a serious threat that has to be taken seriously by the opposition.   And that takes some pressure off the group.    Support players we have in good supply.    Hogs is a legit NHL player, playing 11 minutes a night before his promotion, was on pace for 20 goals so it's not him.    Lafferty is fine on the fourth line or part of the rotation in spot duty.   Expect to see a rotation on EPs wing as soon as next game.   Maybe Podz. 

It has to be tough for Nashville when they have to respect Petey's threat and then the 3rd line kills them. 

Demko: the 2 shots that beat him could not have been better shots. Demko outplayed the other end by a wide margin

Joshua: Wow. His first goal scoring high on the left side has he faded right was stunning

Miller Line: Not just JT's line but total shutdown of the Preds go to offensive players. -3's

D-corp: some looks for the Preds but the physicality was a killer. Especially important if it is a long series. Meyers and Zad were very solid. I like Juulson big time but Cole's experience showed.

Coaching: the TOI was spread really well. 

I think the team comes out stronger on Tuesday. They have some video to review and a few adjustments. If they are able to hit at the same rate the deterrence will start to show. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

@-dlc-

JT's almost pulled Bure's number down on that jump haha

Talk about caring, these guys are totally bought in & gunning for the cup. I love this team. 

This just says it all, thanks for posting this @Smashian Kassian. I've watched it 10 times already...what a feel good moment that was captured. So good!

I am so happy for this team no matter what unfolds. They're getting rewarded and enjoying some success. They're proving themselves and have stuck together and their chemistry is obvious. JT signing here long term was a nod to this team .... he believed in them and now they do too. He's vocal and passionate and didn't slink away.  Quinn is leading the way on the ice. Once Petey gets his mojo back look out world.

I love what JT said about Joshua not knowing how good he is. There's no ego on this team and that's huge. Garland's also really provided us with a motor that helps drive this team.

What a great win that was...feeling so good today. I think that was my reaction too up there when the time ticked off the clock.

Cheers everyone!

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

That win made me wonder if it's worth re-signing Myers at around $3 million per. Loved how he was using his size to throw some Preds around. 

If he's willing to sign for that amount - absolutely.

• Like 1

There’s a big narrative around the league and most fans outside Vancouver that we are a team with skill, but very little grit.  Last night was all the proof anyone needed that we are not only a team with grit, but one of the most physical teams in the league

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

One of my favourite moments in the game was Myers punching (?) the Nashville player to the ice. Like "gtfoutta here, this game's ours". He was so engaged and THAT'S the Myers who does great things for us.  Beast mode was activated....by the entire team. They're likely sick of not being taken seriously. It's time to take them seriously.

He also made a couple really nice stretch passes. And no minor penalties. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

33 minutes ago, Rekker said:

It's puzzling and seems like a confidence thing. Maybe takes one breakout game, hopefully 

I take comfort in reflecting back to 1994 when it took Bure a few games in the playoffs to get going.  Once he did, he was elite.  Big part of the reason why we came back down 3-1 to the Flames.

• Cheers 2