[PGT] PDO vs Preds - Game 1 (April 21, 2024)

MikeyD

https://globalnews.ca/news/10441688/vancouver-canucks-playoffs-fans-game-1/

Canucks announcer takes over SkyTrain

To continue the celebration through the week, SkyTrain riders might notice a familiar voice taking over the announcements.

The voice of the Canucks, Al Murdoch will be behind the microphone at several stations ahead of playoff games. He is the first guest voice on transit since Seth Rogan’s run back in 2018.

TransLink has not revealed the stations where Murdoch can be heard, but it’s nearly guaranteed that Stadium-Chinatown, right next to the venue, will be one of them.

Edited by Jaimito
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, AngryGoose said:

I dont think you need to (overly) worry about Petey.  He is one of the rare, obsessed and driven players (like Hughes) who want to achieve their best.  I feel like I can confidently say that.

I think this is a good take. I also believe that Allvin's top priority this offseason will be to find Petey a top line winger, or maybe two. I like Hoglander with Petey, but adding a number one winger would really help. Who that might be, I have no idea.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

Espn is sooo fcking terrible...

Yeah, that's the downside for me in the playoffs. At least during the reg season,  I usually get to choose the feed.

Had that same crew for the last Jets/Nucks game. So bland, and now with playing an American team, the focus is more on them.

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

just keep wondering if the refs will change their tune on physical play in game 2... do we get the same crew?

I checked last year, the refs rotate each game but there is an official in charge.

game 1 and 2 of seattle vs avs last year

IMG_5681.thumb.jpeg.8a9f64d4fabb39145700ba88f59e3832.jpegIMG_5682.thumb.jpeg.28be42e0b9dcc6ffc42c40f9cc94eb82.jpeg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Darius said:

Im trying to think of a better game Myers has played as a Canuck.  We might have seen his best game so far.  

He's finally using his size properly as an advantage. He's far less of a liability. I said this earlier that I do believe Zadorov has been a great influence on him in to be less chaotic and more precise. Just to have another big guy his own size is/was a great thing for him.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Yeah, that's the downside for me in the playoffs. At least during the reg season,  I usually get to choose the feed.

Had that same crew for the last Jets/Nucks game. So bland, and now with playing an American team, the focus is more on them.

Yup, all of us  based nuck fans are suffering with you. G3/G4 we get tbs/max team. Least no messier - f him

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

I checked last year, the refs rotate each game but there is an official in charge.

game 1 and 2 of seattle vs avs last year

IMG_5681.thumb.jpeg.8a9f64d4fabb39145700ba88f59e3832.jpegIMG_5682.thumb.jpeg.28be42e0b9dcc6ffc42c40f9cc94eb82.jpeg

Less likely for a crew to be fixing a series.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Silent Man said:

It seems to be a strange decision- they were off for quite some time before game 1.

Good for Canucks, I guess.

They were so banged up from all the hits they are hurting and need the extra rest.

8 hours ago, filthy animal said:

You guys saw tonight that in the playoffs, size matters. There were a few times tonight that some of our D-men got beat but were able to recover just because their huge. The Preds forwards are in for a rough series when they are repeatedly getting bashed by Soucy, Myers and Zadorov. Dan Milstein must be doing his best Jerry McGuire impression to Alvin "Show me the MONEY!!" Big Z was absolutely phenomenal tonight. Whatever we were expecting from Tryamkin, way back when, Zadorov is providing and then some. Give a large credit to the current management team that has a working brain unlike the previous idiot, they actually know how to add players that fit into the scheme. I was not expecting this kind of play from Zadorov, not just tonight, but since February. Well worth the picks we gave Calgary and I sure hope Alvin/Rutherford prioritizes the big man come summer

Exactly this. We've known for years that size matters in being a contending team. We've been at the receiving end of that for far too long. This management came in and exposed a lot of bad decision-making by previous regimes. JT and Allvin, management and coaching staff, are winners and know what it takes to win. You need to be big, tough, and physical ... and we were last night in spades. For far too long there was too much emphasis on character and ski8ll, being and playing nice. I'm so glad JR, PA, and Tocchet weren't afraid to make the uncomfortable decisions. The necessary uncomfortable decisions to win.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Harvey Specter said:

Another add to the following lists:

- The John-and-John Appreciation Thread 

- Why Shorty Is One Of The Best PxP In the Business

Rob Fai is supposed to be a journalist and know the difference between "Let's" and "Lets" 🙂 

4 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Exactly this. We've known for years that size matters in being a contending team. We've been at the receiving end of that for far too long. This management came in and exposed a lot of bad decision-making by previous regimes. JT and Allvin, management and coaching staff, are winners and know what it takes to win. You need to be big, tough, and physical ... and we were last night in spades. For far too long there was too much emphasis on character and ski8ll, being and playing nice. I'm so glad JR, PA, and Tocchet weren't afraid to make the uncomfortable decisions. The necessary uncomfortable decisions to win.

IMG_5685.gif.ae0df4cdafa95bb250f5c0b1af89452c.gifIMG_5686.gif.3f1db40abf1c11066b991cf651980a78.gif

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

Just now, OldFaithfulcap said:

IMG_5685.gif.ae0df4cdafa95bb250f5c0b1af89452c.gifIMG_5686.gif.3f1db40abf1c11066b991cf651980a78.gif

Jaegers ([ˈjɛːɡɐ], Jäger, Hunter) are a special type of mobile weapon created by the Jaeger Program. The Jaegers were the most effective first and last line of defense against the Kaiju during the Kaiju War.

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

He's finally using his size properly as an advantage. He's far less of a liability. I said this earlier that I do believe Zadorov has been a great influence on him in to be less chaotic and more precise. Just to have another big guy his own size is/was a great thing for him.

I think Foote has actually been much more impactful. Foote wasn't nearly as big as Myers, but he was a tough, hard nosed defenseman and probably would have been even more difficult to play against if he had Myers' reach. Could say that Foote has also been instrumental in Juulsen's development too.

If Myers and Zadorov can clean up the timing of their hits and pick their spots for big hits while still regularly leaning on opponents and effecting zone exits, it's going to help the team immensely over a series. Cole doesn't quite have the same size but he's very effective at this. Soucy doesn't go for big hits as much but he's another big defender who will make life miserable in the corners and in front of the net.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, 112 said:

I watched the game with my dad. This season has been special for me because I haven't been able to watch games with him for a long time. I told him before the playoffs started that even if they don't fare well in the post-season that it's been a real treat with how they've played and to follow the team with him again. Hockey is one of the few activities that we've really bonded over across the years.

Excitement-wise he thought the first two periods left something to be desired, but he said the third was the type of hockey he was expecting.

The atmosphere in the building was electric; the arena hadn't been bumping like it was last night in a decade. I loved the chants throughout the game and the cheers when the Canucks scored. Those two goals twelve seconds apart were just incredible. There's not really any analysis in this post, but I just wanted to say how great it is to have playoff hockey return to Vancouver.

15 more wins! 🙂

That's great to hear about your dad! Glad you shared that with us. Those moments are special and meaningful. 

• Like 2

Just now, EternalCanuckFan said:

I think Foote has actually been much more impactful. Foote wasn't nearly as big as Myers, but he was a tough, hard nosed defenseman and probably would have been even more difficult to play against if he had Myers' reach. Could say that Foote has also been instrumental in Juulsen's development too.

If Myers and Zadorov can clean up the timing of their hits and pick their spots for big hits while still regularly leaning on opponents and effecting zone exits, it's going to help the team immensely over a series. Cole doesn't quite have the same size but he's very effective at this. Soucy doesn't go for big hits as much but he's another big defender who will make life miserable in the corners and in front of the net.

The coaches are simply asking the players to play a system that supports playing fundamental positional hockey; plain and simple. I think they do an excellent job at coaching it too, but the success of Myers and the other Dmen is more based on the whole teams shift to playing team defense and the new system. Juulsen is a prime example of this too.

• Cheers 2