[PGT] PDO vs Preds - Game 1 (April 21, 2024)

MikeyD

2 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I think Foote has actually been much more impactful. Foote wasn't nearly as big as Myers, but he was a tough, hard nosed defenseman and probably would have been even more difficult to play against if he had Myers' reach. Could say that Foote has also been instrumental in Juulsen's development too.

If Myers and Zadorov can clean up the timing of their hits and pick their spots for big hits while still regularly leaning on opponents and effecting zone exits, it's going to help the team immensely over a series. Cole doesn't quite have the same size but he's very effective at this. Soucy doesn't go for big hits as much but he's another big defender who will make life miserable in the corners and in front of the net.

Couldn't agree more. This coaching staff has made a boatload of difference. So glad we have all that champion experience on our side

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, AngryGoose said:

I dont think you need to (overly) worry about Petey.  He is one of the rare, obsessed and driven players

I totally agree and I truly believe with his drive, he won't like what happened this season and will adjust. My opinion is more based on the distractions that come with being a young, wealthy hockey player. Just speculation, but something is definitely off. 

• Cheers 2

54 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Ferland was given an immunity idol to charge at whatever player was in a Canuck uniform in the 2014 playoffs

It was ridiculous how that unfolded. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rekker said:

I totally agree and I truly believe with his drive, he won't like what happened this season and will adjust. My opinion is more based on the distractions that come with being a young, wealthy hockey player. Just speculation, but something is definitely off. 

I find even with Petey's interviews, he seems out of it, like no emotion whatsoever. Maybe he really is an alien. 

58 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

I hope not!  I think that the non-calls went against the Canucks in the past (2011), other teams taking liberties, but this year's Canucks team has some big mofos who like to crush opponents, the swagger is back. Put away the whistles, let 'em play!

I agree, let them play. We're going to take out licks too, but I'd rather see the ref's do what they did last night and just let the teams play hard. 

We have to be a bit more aware of where our sticks are tho, to avoid some calls. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Jaegers ([ˈjɛːɡɐ], Jäger, Hunter) are a special type of mobile weapon created by the Jaeger Program. The Jaegers were the most effective first and last line of defense against the Kaiju during the Kaiju War.

If I was better at video i would have totally done a pacific rim nucks playoff hype. I love the movie, even with the terrible accents.

• Cheers 1

Just now, OldFaithfulcap said:

If I was better at video i would have totally done a pacific rim nucks playoff hype. I love the movie, even with the terrible accents.

The first one was great.  Part 2 not so much.  

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

I find even with Petey's interviews, he seems out of it, like no emotion whatsoever. Maybe he really is an alien. 

Lol. He is such a competitor, I'm sure he's more frustrated with himself than anyone and comes off like it does

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

The coaches are simply asking the players to play a system that supports playing fundamental positional hockey; plain and simple. I think they do an excellent job at coaching it too, but the success of Myers and the other Dmen is more based on the whole teams shift to playing team defense and the new system. Juulsen is a prime example of this too.

Agree with you. It's much more than just an "either or" debate. There are many factors we're seeing pay off, really, starting with the system. Last night was a good example, we're not scrambling and out of position like we were for so many years on end. Each of our Dmen have their own roles and freedom to inhabit those roles rather than trying to do too much because we don't have enough skill or size.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

brought in betting. Its a scummy industry imo. 

it's really more of a government thing than a gary bettman thing. 

17 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I was solely talking about Zadorov's impact on him. It wasn't a "more" thing for me when writing that.

But if we go out to Foote, of course Foote has been more impactful. I agree. Especially in how to use his body as leverage and play with a more measured, smart and hard-nosed way.

THAT coupled with Zadorov's influence only makes him better, more comfortable as a big man, and more of the player we wanted him to be. I was saying to my buddy last night that this is the Myers we've need to see. That justifies more of his price tag but also increases his value next year.

We're seeing the effect of Gonchar and Foote on all of our D. It's impressive.

100%!  Myers has improved but he’s also always done better with a stable, veteran partner.  Soucy, Zadorov, Hughes or Cole all fit the bill and I think that’s also helping the big guy out.  

and what an asset he is when he’s on.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

brought in betting. Its a scummy industry imo. 

It appears like a massive conflict of interest and erodes trust in the NHL when you see them clearly in bed with betting sites like FanDuel. The NHL has there own betting YouTube channel.  It's sleezy.  

• ThereItIs 1

Maybe it's just one big goal for Petey that'll get him going. He seems to be trying, and he is playing well defensively, but he could be lacking some confidence (somehow).

But, Petey's game could turn around in a hurry if he gets that one big goal. Hopefully next game.

Edited by Nucker67
  • Upvote 2