[PGT] PDO vs Preds - Game 1 (April 21, 2024)

MikeyD

5 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Just look where we are right now! How exciting!

We should be happy with Canucks management, but when p.ayoffs are over, they have some challenges coming up. It's going to be so interesting to see how JR and PA handle this summer. I think we'd all like to see them keep Joshua, Zadorov, Lindholm, and maybe Myers. Then there's a lot of others who have to be considered.  I trust these guys are going to do their very best to continue to give us great hockey. They've brought this team from a dismal hole last year to a potential Stanley Cup contender. Should we be happy with Canucks management? I think so.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

21 hours ago, Steamer4GM said:

Petey will be just fine

Ppl wanted to skewer Joshua for coming into camp out of shape and look what patience and support from Tocchet et al got out of him

Ppl wanted to trash all over the Lindholm trade when he was struggling and then injured yet the team held strong and kept working with him to find his game and the best linemate combo

Ppl trash on Meyers all year long for some of the chaos his style of play created but the team found him D partners that balance him out and get the most out of him, knowing full well what he brings when it truly matters

Ppl trash Suter not fully grasping what he brings to whatever line he's on

I could go on

We, as fans, have absolutely NO IDEA what Petey might be dealing with. Maybe he has a best friend back home that's struggling with real life shit. Maybe he's having issues with some crazy person he was dating years ago. Maybe the idea of signing a huge contract when he's not fully on his game factors into things. It could be literally anything or a combination of half a dozen anythings

The thing is, we're not his coaches or his bosses or his team mates. We're just fans who enjoy it when he's on fire and need to show some loyalty in him and the rest of the organization when he's not.  They would not have signed him to a huge, multi-year contract if they thought he was a bust or was never gonna get his game back.

Have faith!!

Trust in the TEAM!!! (top to bottom)

Enjoy the Ride!!!

We are freaking Blessed!!!

Go Canucks GO!!!

Myers wad one of our best  defense man in the bubble, we missed the hell out of him wh3n ge got injured

3 hours ago, -dlc- said:

THAT IS JUST AMAZING.

I love that we have them....the whole family is awesome. Natalie is a superfan, loves it here and is super down to earth. I love all of them.

So cool. I do love that you respected their privacy like that....matters. I mean, these people are just out living their lives. (I would've stuffed him in my trunk and hit the gas)  😆

I almost skipped over your last sentence. Too funny!

Loved him when he was scoring but Pettersson has been such a disappointment lately.  Shouldn't a $11/yr superstar drive the play and make his linemates look great instead of the team trying to find a players that can resurrect his confidence?  I'm sure we all want to see him do well, I do too, but the $11M/yr is a huge dud so far.  Can he go to the same skating coach that improved Horvat's skating a few years back?  All hands, no feet is my 2 cents of amateur diagnosis.  We need him as a key sniper on the PP in this series.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, AngryGoose said:

Tocc having a pulse on the game is a no brainer, but I really liked how he said he’s leaning on certain guys tomorrow to bring it/create momentum for the team.  I believe game 2 will be even more intense than game 1.

Nashville will throw everything they have at Vancouver because they'll know coming back home to Nashville down 0-2 will be extremely difficult to come back from. Watch for their false tough guys try to stir it up tomorrow. They won't take on Z but will try to stir the pot. 

I hope DJ doesn't fight tomorrow. He's more valuable on the ice making hits, creating turnovers and pressuring their D. 

I hope we don't answer the bell to fight. We need to respond by continuing to lay big hits. 

That doesn't mean turn the other cheek though. Give them face washes and scrums after the whistle but don't risk getting hurt in a fight against an inferior team. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 4/21/2024 at 9:45 PM, canucklehead53 said:

Safe to say the reputation of our barn being quiet is no longer!

During the season it is...  Good barns cheer the team to score, we cheer when we score, nothing new though. 

Post season is different, why? Honestly I don't know.. 

Edited by iceman1964

5 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

Wow I’m amazed that the majority of the people in that thread are cursing out the refs saying that they got screwed.  They got twice as many PPs as us lol

I won't complain about the reffing last night... 

I thought it was fairly evenly called but if I was Nashville, I'd be upset about 2 calls. 

First would be the trip that wasn't called when they were already on the PP. It was blatant and they could have easily went on a 5 on 3. Ofcourse it was tough for the refs to call that because I believe penalties were already tilted in Nashville's favor but we've been screwed for far less during the regular season.

Secondly there was an icing call that maybe should have been waived off where Nashville was first to the puck. 

All the penalties called against us were actual penalties. 

The question is, how many non calls were there against us? 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I think Hoglander and Mikheyev should be the wingers for Petey. Mikheyev and Hoglander can chase the puck down and get the puck.

I'd like to see: 

Suter - Miller - Boeser

Hoglander - Pettersson - Mikheyev

Joshua - Lindholm - Garland

Podkolzin - Blueger - Lafferty

Then again not opposed to the same lineup from game 1, got the win end of the day.

This will be our stanley cup lines

• Ribs unfeatured and unpinned this topic
14 hours ago, Silent Man said:

It seems to be a strange decision- they were off for quite some time before game 1.

Good for Canucks, I guess.

I wonder why they didn't practice? Team meeting - might get them all on the same page for game 2 tomorrow. 

I hope the Canucks take both games at home; and then steal one in Nashville. 

2 hours ago, iceman1964 said:

During the season it is...  Good barns cheer the team to score, we cheer when we score, nothing new though. 

well, it's different for us this season, because we haven't had the playoffs in this city for like close to a decade. 

3 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Nashville will throw everything they have at Vancouver because they'll know coming back home to Nashville down 0-2 will be extremely difficult to come back from. Watch for their false tough guys try to stir it up tomorrow. They won't take on Z but will try to stir the pot. 

I hope DJ doesn't fight tomorrow. He's more valuable on the ice making hits, creating turnovers and pressuring their D. 

I hope we don't answer the bell to fight. We need to respond by continuing to lay big hits. 

That doesn't mean turn the other cheek though. Give them face washes and scrums after the whistle but don't risk getting hurt in a fight against an inferior team. 

I have no idea how Myers didnt get a penalty for that rabbit punch against a NSH player lol

Edited by AngryGoose

11 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I think Hoglander and Mikheyev should be the wingers for Petey

One puck digger / glue guy / battler would be ideal. Not two? Both are good, bust and make best of some opportunities. Certainly the energy guys, not skill of a top NHL line.

Considering how well Petey can shoot. He deserves someone who can also lug & pass the puck.  You can also debate who is the better play-maker, JT Miller or Pettersson? Maybe someday Hoglander, but for the meantime Mikheyev nor Hoglander should be confused with a 40 or 50 goal scorer!

Maybe Hoglander, FTF, more likely Lekerimakki...

We're not at our peak yet, so I guess we have to cheer exactly for who we are!

5 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I thought it was fairly evenly called but if I was Nashville, I'd be upset about 2 calls. 

First would be the trip that wasn't called when they were already on the PP. It was blatant and they could have easily went on a 5 on 3. Ofcourse it was tough for the refs to call that because I believe penalties were already tilted in Nashville's favor but we've been screwed for far less during the regular season.

Secondly there was an icing call that maybe should have been waived off where Nashville was first to the puck. 

I think that was an even up no call because the penalty they were killing was clearly a bad call.

8 hours ago, iceman1964 said:

That's not true. 

I go to a lot of games and the crowd's usually into it. Maybe a little tentative at the initial puck drop, but things usually pick up a lot.

I do think our DJ's gotta go....a big part of it is him lulling us to sleep with his song choices. A mix is nice but not enough music that kickstarts the energy. It can make a bit of a difference for sure.

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

That's not true. 

I go to a lot of games and the crowd's usually into it. Maybe a little tentative at the initial puck drop, but things usually pick up a lot.

I do think our DJ's gotta go....a big part of it is him lulling us to sleep with his song choices. A mix is nice but not enough music that kickstarts the energy. It can make a bit of a difference for sure.

Man, I always feel like a woman when I go to one.

13 hours ago, Rocket-68 said:

There is about $27.2M available next season taking into account OEL's dead cap to:

1) Sign Dakota

2) Sign Big Zeke

3) Sign Lindholm

4) Sign a backup (DeSmith or more likely Silovs)

5) Sign Honker

6) Sign Chaos Giraffe

Tier 2 Choices (sign or not sign)

7) Blueger - probably

😎 Lafferty - most likely

9) Cole - probably not unless a lot less than $3M

I think $25M will do the above.

The wild card is Mik and his $4.75M cap hit. I think he will be moved but much will depend on what happens this playoffs and how the signings above go.

Just my 2 cents ... which doesn't mean much, 😆

EDIT: And yes, I agree with your assessment on needing to get a winger for Petey. 

I'm a bit too lazy to pay close attention to the Cap, so I generally defer to those with the patience for it. That being said, this surprises me. I didn't see any way of re-signing all of these guys.

When I thought about it, I was pretty sure Lindy and Myers would both walk, while DJ, Hronek and Zadorov became the main targets. I'd like to bring Blueger back as well and as you say, Silovs, but as much as I like Cole, he can probably be replaced. I think Juuls likely becomes a regular next season, but whether he slots in for Cole or the Giraffe is another question.

Hopefully, your numbers work, because it would be nice to keep Lindy. It all depends on what he's asking for, though. I guess you could look at his sub-par play after the trade as a positive when it comes to a new contract. Maybe it brings the ask down to a reasonable level....

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Thanks for this. It's nice to see it acknowledged that sometimes, the calls do go our way. TBH, I avoid a lot of the PGT's because the whole "bettman doesn't want us to win" thing gets so tiresome....

The fact is, refs make mistakes....engage in game management (and to your point, are very reluctant to give out 2 man advantages in the playoffs) and sometimes give superstars the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes they're our superstars and sometimes not.

There's no grand conspiracy....

31 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I'm a bit too lazy to pay close attention to the Cap, so I generally defer to those with the patience for it. That being said, this surprises me. I didn't see any way of re-signing all of these guys.

When I thought about it, I was pretty sure Lindy and Myers would both walk, while DJ, Hronek and Zadorov became the main targets. I'd like to bring Blueger back as well and as you say, Silovs, but as much as I like Cole, he can probably be replaced. I think Juuls likely becomes a regular next season, but whether he slots in for Cole or the Giraffe is another question.

Hopefully, your numbers work, because it would be nice to keep Lindy. It all depends on what he's asking for, though. I guess you could look at his sub-par play after the trade as a positive when it comes to a new contract. Maybe it brings the ask down to a reasonable level....

I am too lazy to find the few threads from the nerds amongst us that went into great detail on how this could be possible and I am sure one of them will be along momentarily to shit all over this post, LOL, well maybe some constructive criticism. However, it comes down to ask (money & term) - at the risk of stating the obvious. If Lindholm asks for something starting with a 9 or even an 8 then JR will personally drive him to the airport having traded negotiating rights for a draft pick or two. Same with Meyers if he is asking for anything close to $3-4M.

Table below is my expert analysis of about 1 minute and going off of memory from what a previous, great detail, poster proposed. Assuming Mik is moved, add another $4.750M cap availability. Assumption is a couple from the farm are ready to come up on ELC (which all teams have to do to be competitive). The table also exemplifies that choices will be made if someone comes out with an outrageous demand for an extension - fill in the blank on who that would be in your view and what the ask would be. 

The world according to me and I may be out to lunch or off swilling beer 🙂 ... GO CANUCKS GO!

image.png.e01871a15341d100239620aa5a4d0006.png

Edited by Rocket-68

14 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

Wow I’m amazed that the majority of the people in that thread are cursing out the refs saying that they got screwed.  They got twice as many PPs as us lol

That's probably goodbye hronel then, which I'm fine with

13 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Imagine how good our team will look when the refs put away the whistles in a couple rounds. 

I actually thought it was a decently reffed game 1. We got away with a lot, as did they.

We just need to be a little more careful with stick placement.

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

I am too lazy to find the few threads from the nerds amongst us that went into great detail on how this could be possible and I am sure one of them will be along momentarily to shit all over this post, LOL, well maybe some constructive criticism. However, it comes down to ask (money & term) - at the risk of stating the obvious. If Lindholm asks for something starting with a 9 or even an 8 then JR will personally drive him to the airport having traded negotiating rights for a draft pick or two. Same with Meyers if he is asking for anything close to $3-4M.

Table below is my expert analysis of about 1 minute and going off of memory from what a previous, great detail, poster proposed. Assuming Mik is moved, add another $4.750M cap availability. Assumption is a couple from the farm are ready to come up on ELC (which all teams have to do to be competitive). The table also exemplifies that choices will be made if someone comes out with an outrageous demand for an extension - fill in the blank on who that would be in your view and what the ask would be. 

The world according to me and I may be out to lunch or off swilling beer 🙂 ... GO CANUCKS GO!

I like your optimism, would love to see lindy back at that number.

• Cheers 2

51 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

I think you are lean 500-1m on DJ and 500-700k on Hronek. Other than that, bang on. A portion of that could be achieved by passing on a guy like Lafferty, and bringing Bains or Karlsson up FT on 4th line.

If we resign Lindholm, Blueger is not required; Suter will simply shift to 4L C. In addition, the decision will be Myers, Cole, or a FA; any of which will be <3m. If Myers takes it, great, if not, move on.

As for a winger for Petey, that'll be the Mik question. If we want to sign a guy, Mik will need to be moved. If not, Mik stays. I HOPE that Lekkermaki is ready soon. He is exactly what we need in our top 6 moving fwd. 

• Cheers 2