Canucks intro to Game 1

HKSR

I fucking called it, and even Juice was talking about it after the game today.  This was a fantastic trolljob by the Canucks.  I want U2 playing every single fucking whistle.

On 4/19/2024 at 7:45 PM, Miss Korea said:

I know it's a bit old school, but I cannot think of a more fitting opponent where we play U2 as our opening song.  I don't even like them but I just wanna troll Nashville.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Chills.   It was amazing.   A huge shout out to all the fans in the building,  doing your best to make this a memorable as possible the players and fellow fans.    One of the most identifiable intro's in the league, and for sure in club history. 

7 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

I fucking called it, and even Juice was talking about it after the game today.  This was a fantastic trolljob by the Canucks.  I want U2 playing every single fucking whistle.

I never even entertained the possibility of it being a troll job.  This has been our playoff opening theme since the early 2000s.  It would be wrong if it was anything else

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

7 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

It's also part of our history far more than trolling tho.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

I never even entertained the possibility of it being a troll job.  This has been our playoff opening theme since the early 2000s.  It would be wrong if it was anything else

You’re right this is not a troll by the Canucks, this was a troll job by the universe. 

9 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Not sure how it's trolling.   To me some  contemporary trash would be trolling the Canucks.    There are a few songs i'd be happy to hear as intro music.    U2 was the Beatles/Stones/Zepp of the 80's, not a bigger band in the world for good reason.    Then Pearl Jam and Radio Head tried but fell far from their elders spot on the Rock n Roll / Music hall of fame and since nothing.   Big Bands are gone these days in place of beat boxes and zero talent required.  Artists, and well wasn't a huge fan of Achtung Baby or anything past that.    It's undeniable they were huge though.   And it's one of the most recognizable intro's  in radio music history, up there with Stairway and Money. 

Edited by IBatch

4 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

4 hours ago, Bob Long said:

It's also part of our history far more than trolling tho.

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Not sure how it's trolling.   To me some  contemporary trash would be trolling the Canucks.    There are a few songs i'd be happy to hear as intro music.    U2 was the Beatles/Stones/Zepp of the 80's, not a bigger band in the world for good reason.    Then Pearl Jam and Radio Head tried but fell far from their elders spot on the Rock n Roll / Music hall of fame and since nothing.   Big Bands are gone these days in place of beat boxes and zero talent required.  Artists, and well wasn't a huge fan of Achtung Baby or anything past that.    It's undeniable they were huge though.   And it's one of the most recognizable intro's  in radio music history, up there with Stairway and Money. 

You guys would've agreed with me had they played this after the game.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2024 at 9:17 AM, IBatch said:

Achtung Baby is U2's best album and one of the defining albums of the 1990s. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Achtung Baby is U2's best album and one of the defining albums of the 1990s. 

For me War, Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree was their best music.   Just like Metallica went off their roots in the 90's, so did U2 (and at least the Black Album was very good, so was Acthung Baby, just not their best music).  

And well I probably listened to Achtung Baby hundreds of times, one of the few CD's I kept ... just couldn't find the same magic they had in their previous stuff, had a depressing, or lower  tone to it "Mysterious Ways  and One" had nothing on most of the songs on Joshua tree and their earlier hits.   Plus good luck trying to play any of it (on a guitar), prior to that used to love playing Edges's stuff.   The music was over the top washed out with effects, as the album cover, was all over the place, felt they tried to achieve too much, following up on Joshua Tree was a lot like Zep with Physical Graffiti, and think Zep nailed it and U2 whiffed a bit.   After that on the downhill slope for sure. 

One of my favourite bands.   Rattle and Hum was better as a filler album, Edge's song was magic.   Don't disagree though, there weren't many better albums in the 90's.    Pearl Jam was good, Nirvana one of the most overrated bands in history.   Blind Melon plus a bit and that might shock people, just how I feel.   One big hit and a lot of noise (at least they didn't pee on their fans).    Soundgarden was pretty good, the "grunge" scene was like punk rock, some good and a lot of terrible.   

Unforgettable Fire and Bad were hints to what was about to happen.   U2 maturing.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, IBatch said:

For me War, Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree was their best music.   Just like Metallica went off their roots in the 90's, so did U2 (and at least the Black Album was very good, so was Acthung Baby, just not their best music).  

And well I probably listened to Achtung Baby hundreds of times, one of the few CD's I kept ... just couldn't find the same magic they had in their previous stuff, had a depressing, or lower  tone to it "Mysterious Ways  and One" had nothing on most of the songs on Joshua tree and their earlier hits.   Plus good luck trying to play any of it (on a guitar), prior to that used to love playing Edges's stuff.   The music was over the top washed out with effects, as the album cover, was all over the place, felt they tried to achieve too much, following up on Joshua Tree was a lot like Zep with Physical Graffiti, and think Zep nailed it and U2 whiffed a bit. 

One of my favourite bands.   Rattle and Hum was better as a filler album.    Don't disagree though, there weren't many better albums in the 90's.   

For me, Achtung was a brave departure from what U2 were known for. The array of tones and effects that Edge used on that album was awesome. So many different sounds and approaches. Until the End of the World is one of the greatest moments in the band's history, and that is very playable on guitar. The Joshua Tree was more of a spiritual experience. 

Physical Graffiti is the greatest album I've ever heard. Sprawling and massive.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

For me, Achtung was a brave departure from what U2 were known for. The array of tones and effects that Edge used on that album was awesome. So many different sounds and approaches. Until the End of the World is one of the greatest moments in the band's history, and that is very playable on guitar. The Joshua Tree was more of a spiritual experience. 

Physical Graffiti is the greatest album I've ever heard. Sprawling and massive.  

BromYaur (spelling?),  spent a couple months trying to master using my thumb slides to get it right.   Glad you got what I was trying to say.   Agree they were both their Swan Song albums, and expect they didn't know it at the time either.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

37 minutes ago, IBatch said:

And well I probably listened to Achtung Baby hundreds of times, one of the few CD's I kept ... just couldn't find the same magic they had in their previous stuff, had a depressing, or lower  tone to it "Mysterious Ways  and One" had nothing on most of the songs on Joshua tree and their earlier hits.   Plus good luck trying to play any of it (on a guitar), prior to that used to love playing Edges's stuff.   The music was over the top washed out with effects, as the album cover, was all over the place, felt they tried to achieve too much, following up on Joshua Tree was a lot like Zep with Physical Graffiti, and think Zep nailed it and U2 whiffed a bit.   After that on the downhill slope for sure. 

One of my favourite bands.   Rattle and Hum was better as a filler album, Edge's song was magic.   Don't disagree though, there weren't many better albums in the 90's.    Pearl Jam was good, Nirvana one of the most overrated bands in history.   Blind Melon plus a bit and that might shock people, just how I feel.   One big hit and a lot of noise (at least they didn't pee on their fans).    Soundgarden was pretty good, the "grunge" scene was like punk rock, some good and a lot of terrible.   

Unforgettable Fire and Bad were hints to what was about to happen.   U2 maturing.   

Soundgarden were the best band in the 90s, for me. Superunknown was a masterpiece. Badmotorfinger and Down on the Upside are both excellent as well. Pearl Jam were good until Gossard and Ament ceded control of the band to Vedder. Nirvana were good, but yeah, they're a tad overrated. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

BromYaur (spelling?),  spent a couple months trying to master using my thumb slides to get it right.   Glad you got what I was trying to say.   Agree they were both their Swan Song albums, and expect they didn't know it at the time either.   

Bron-Yr-Aur.

Crazy to think that Physical Graffiti is comprised of songs from four different time periods. It all just works so well. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Bron-Yr-Aur.

Crazy to think that Physical Graffiti is comprised of songs from four different time periods. It all just works so well. 

That's the one.    Made a full tape recording of it, and used to fall asleep to it for a year or so as a teenager.   Maybe a 3 minute instrumental,  took me awhile to record it on one side of a tape cassette, worth it.   Those guys are the epitome of a four person band.   Not one was better than the other.   And all were amazing.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

That's the one.    Made a full tape recording of it, and used to fall asleep to it for a year or so as a teenager.   Maybe a 3 minute instrumental,  took me awhile to record it on one side of a tape cassette, worth it.   Those guys with the Beatles, are the epitome of a four person band.   Not one was better than the other.   And all were amazing.   

Very true. The power of the band's music hasn't waned one bit. Their influence has only grown and frankly equals the influence of the Fab Four. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Soundgarden were the best band in the 90s, for me. Superunknown was a masterpiece. Badmotorfinger and Down on the Upside are both excellent as well. Pearl Jam were good until Gossard and Ament ceded control of the band to Vedder. Nirvana were good, but yeah, they're a tad overrated. 

Too bad about Chris Cornell though.  I really liked what he did, both as part of Soundgarden, and in his work outside of Soundgarden (Audioslave & solo works).  Glad that the band eventually got things sorted out with his widow.

Just now, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Too bad about Chris Cornell though.

Brutal. Still sucks to think about. 

I really liked what he did, both as part of Soundgarden, and in his work outside of Soundgarden (Audioslave & solo works). 

Such a singular talent, great songwriter, amazing lyricist, and solid guitarist. His voice was otherworldly.

Glad that the band eventually got things sorted out with his widow.

They haven't quite yet. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Last I heard they finally got their website back and they were at least in a state of entente cordiale with her for how to proceed with the rest of the band's IP

...no?

As of November 2023: SOUNDGARDEN's Members Still Fighting With CHRIS CORNELL's Estate, Final Songs Not Due Out Anytime Soon (metalinjection.net)

• Thanks 1