[GDT] Nashville @ Vancouver | Tuesday, April 23rd | Round 1 - Game 2 | 7pt/10et | SNP/W/O/E - SN650 | Kesler Night|

Just now, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Given the Canucks superior depth in centers and defence, I'd be gravely concerned with the team's fortitude and overall structure if we collapsed to the Predators just because of a Demko injury.

Come on now people, get a grip. 

I agree.

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Yup, and that's not even a negative take, it's just the numbers. 

Which isn't to say DeSmith can't play well and that the Canucks can't win, goaltending is just a critical position in pro hockey. 

Demko is one of the best goaltenders in the league when healthy, but in recent years he's been injured more, which could be cause for concern going forward. 

Yeah if I were PA/JR, I'd be seriously looking at finding a blue chip goalie prospect to come up behind Silovs to keep the conveyor belt of top tier goaltending going.

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

What are you talking about little guy? Just whatever you gotta do to get upvotes, you literally are nothing to me. 

do you know what a masochist is?

3 hours ago, Strawbone said:

Just heard on the radio that Ryan Kesler will be attending with his son too. If the team can channel some Kesler energy in this game it’s gonna be a good one!

Im guessing he will be the guest cranking up that siren at the start of the game

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yeah if I were PA/JR, I'd be seriously looking at finding a blue chip goalie prospect to come up behind Silovs to keep the conveyor belt of top tier goaltending going.

The current Abby goalie is pretty good. T guy. 

1 hour ago, RJCF96 said:

Why is everyone giving up on the team? It ain't over until it's over.

2010: Halak took the Canadiens to the Conference finals. Leighton and Boucher took the Flyers to a Cup Final.

2020: Khudobin took the Stars to a Cup final.

2023: Vegas went through 4 goalies to get to the Cup.

I refuse to give up on this team and I will keep cheering for them loud and proud. If you are going to tonight's game or games for the rest of the series, be loud because we would need every little edge we can get!

Yes! Agreed :towel:

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I was hoping he would not play more than 50-55, especially with how we had playoffs in the bag and very capable backups. I'm no goalie guru but I was preaching caution with this player. He doesn't appear to be able to handle the workload. That's 51 with 15 or so missed games in a row. He would have been over 60. Too much imo.

Aw heck, oh well in DeSmith we trust. 

Do it for Demmer!

At the start of the season, most agreed - even the media - that Demko would come in at around 55-60. DeSmith likely 20-25. Aside from the late injury, that was pretty much on target.

Now, given this injury, it's clear he and the team need to manage this tighter going forward. That the discussion going forward. 

That means we need a backup that can handle 30 games.

Right now is the perfect opportunity for DeSmith or Silovs to prove themselves capable.

Agree ... in DeSmith we trust and .... Do it for Demmer!

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

We've got Tolopilo as well but he's 24, but I agree that we could certainly use young blue chip goaltending prospect in the pipeline. 

Same goes for a young blue chip center, the closest thing we have to such a player is Raty. Hopefully next season we hold on to our 1st and use it to draft a center. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Given the Canucks superior depth in centers and defence, I'd be gravely concerned with the team's fortitude and overall structure if we collapsed to the Predators just because of a Demko injury.

Well, you should at least be a bit concerned about our team's fortitude and overall structure without Demko.  We didn't look great after the All-Star break.  We looked okay.  .500 hockey.  Losing an X-factor player sucks.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Exactly!

So eloquently put ... 

Get a grip is right!

• Cheers 1

Another thing to keep in mind is that during the period of the regular season that Demko was out where the Canucks struggled Lindholm was also out and that really hurt the team defensively but that’s not the case this time. 

• Cheers 3

There’s speculation the Demko injury might actually be a concussion due to getting ran and/or that Josi shot Demko took off the noggin in the 3rd. 

It would make more sense than the side to side save in the first… as he seemed okay for the next 2 periods. 

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Well, you should at least be a bit concerned about our team's fortitude and overall structure without Demko.  We didn't look great after the All-Star break.  We looked okay.  .500 hockey.  Losing an X-factor player sucks.

I am concerned, especially if we face the Oilers next round. I explained this in a previous post. 

But I'm not concerned to the degree that we're now suddenly the "underdogs" of this series because we lost Demko. 

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan
  • Like 1

I feel  mostly for Demko. He’s been waiting for the playoffs for so long and now he might not even have another game. I hope I am wrong but the knees are pretty important in goaltending. I don’t see him magically recovering. I can’t imagine how frustrating and defeating this must feel for him. 

• Vintage 1

I guess playing Nash was a blessing in disguise also..Low shots on goal game will help us also the 2 days off in between...Let's be positive here. Demmer could use 3 days rest!

Edited by Canuck You

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

We've got Tolopilo as well but he's 24, but I agree that we could certainly use young blue chip goaltending prospect in the pipeline. 

Same goes for a young blue chip center, the closest thing we have to such a player is Raty. Hopefully next season we hold on to our 1st and use it to draft a center. 

Silovs and Tolopilo are decent... but not sure they have the same pedigree or potential that Demko had coming into our system.

We need an Askarov or Wallstedt type prospect.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

This is why you get a DeSmith type backup. Starter experience, team likes him and will play for him. Let's go boys!!!!!!

He stepped up and proved people wrong in the final EDM.

Need that DeSmith tonight.

One game at a time. We get this one tonight despite the setback and stats, we're up 2-0.