[GDT] Nashville @ Vancouver | Tuesday, April 23rd | Round 1 - Game 2 | 7pt/10et | SNP/W/O/E - SN650 | Kesler Night|

Fricking Canucks curse man.

But I believe in Casey.  He showed vs EDM how good he can be.

Gonna take a total team effort and ventilating the **** out of Saros.

Go Canucks Go!!!

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I knew something was wrong at the end of the last game.

You could see it on Demko’s face. He didn’t even smile, he just looked concerned like he knew he tweaked something.

Exactly. He just stood there for the celebration didn't even give CD a hug.

8 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

This is getting confusing

Well, in simple terms it involves the same knee, but they are several different structures in the knee that can be injured, different ligaments (ACL, MCL, PCL), meniscus, inflamed joint etc.  So if the source is accurate, his prior injured structure was not reinjured again.  This may be good news since it took 5 weeks to recover.  

Having Demko out definitely hurts, but DeSmith has definitely proven he can step in admirably. I don't get/or agree with all the negative comments with everyone admitting defeat and being all doom and gloom.

Do we always have to be so negative? Everyone wanted this team to be a playoff team and we are now. We're only 1 game in, and people are already jumping off the (band)wagon. Why don't we try to be positive instead and actually support the team consistently. It's easy enough to support them when they're winning and playing well, but support is also needed when things aren't going 100%.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

He's played the number of games he should have this season and was targeted to play. He's at 51 and was targeted for 60.

Sounds about right from what everyone agreed at the start of the season.

I was hoping he would not play more than 50-55, especially with how we had playoffs in the bag and very capable backups. I'm no goalie guru but I was preaching caution with this player. He doesn't appear to be able to handle the workload. That's 51 with 15 or so missed games in a row. He would have been over 60. Too much imo.

Aw heck, oh well in DeSmith we trust. 

Do it for Demmer!

I have to say I appreciate those here who are being optimistic and positive. 

I'm trying to bite my lip, or fingers, not to type out a "woe is us" response.

go Canucks go!

This is just a typical thing that would happen to this franchise. It’s such a mean and cruel joke but never surprising considering the history of this franchise. I don’t have faith in DeSmith. He loses his net way to often and easily. Over committing. Short leash then give Silovs a try if it gets bad.

2 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Damn if he needed an MRI, hes probably out for the series at least. 

Don't think that's a clue.  Given he had a recent injury in the same knee, they need to see if he got reinjured at the same structure.   It sounds like it wasn't, so that is good news in a sense. 

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

In the 14 games where DeSmith and Silovs played while Demko was injured, Canucks had a:

2.85 GAA

0.884 Sv%

DeSmith and Silov's stats this regular season:

DeSmith:  2.89 GAA, 0.895 Sv%

Silovs:  2.47 GAA, 0.881 Sv%

In the 3 games Demko has been back, Canucks have a:

2.33 GAA

0.920 Sv%

Demko's record this regular season:

2.45 GAA

0.918 Sv%

Let's not kid ourselves.  The goalie is on the ice for 60min per game.  This is a huge blow to our chances. 

The team also plays differently with Demko in net.  More aggressive, and they push the play more.  Unless Petey comes alive, we're gonna be in tough, even against this Nashville team.

This is true. We agreed on all of that earlier.

It's a blow to our chances but we're not out.

Now they need to raise their game and find a way to get it done without him.

Most of all, they need to take it one game at a time.

Despite the setback, win tonight and we're up 2-0. That needs to be the focus. Not what they can't do.

• Cheers 2

Just now, kilgore said:

I have to say I appreciate those here who are being optimistic and positive. 

I'm trying to bite my lip, or fingers, not to type out a "woe is us" response.

go Canucks go!

Well based solely on playing styles, Vancouver still has a significant advantage over Nashville.  The Preds really rely on scoring off the rush and on their PP.  The Canucks defensive style really counters the rush very well and they just need to be disciplined and stay out of the box 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

In the 14 games where DeSmith and Silovs played while Demko was injured, Canucks had a:

2.85 GAA

0.884 Sv%

DeSmith and Silov's stats this regular season:

DeSmith:  2.89 GAA, 0.895 Sv%

Silovs:  2.47 GAA, 0.881 Sv%

In the 3 games Demko has been back, Canucks have a:

2.33 GAA

0.920 Sv%

Demko's record this regular season:

2.45 GAA

0.918 Sv%

Let's not kid ourselves.  The goalie is on the ice for 60min per game.  This is a huge blow to our chances. 

The team also plays differently with Demko in net.  More aggressive, and they push the play more.  Unless Petey comes alive, we're gonna be in tough, even against this Nashville team.

Yup, and that's not even a negative take, it's just the numbers. 

Which isn't to say DeSmith can't play well and that the Canucks can't win, goaltending is just a critical position in pro hockey. 

Demko is one of the best goaltenders in the league when healthy, but in recent years he's been injured more, which could be cause for concern going forward. 

Hopefully Demko isn't gone too long and isn't injured too much, because I could see us winning a round or 2, but unlikely to win the Cup with a backup in net.

Edited by c00kies

Losing Demko is significant, but let's wait to see how the team and DeSmith does tonight before concluding prematurely that we are f-ed. If we can't get a save from DeSmith then we can start panicking.

I believe the team is capable of winning games without elite goaltending. Just need to play the game tighter which I thought the team did most of the time last game. 

Given the Canucks superior depth in centers and defence, I'd be gravely concerned with the team's fortitude and overall structure if we collapsed to the Predators just because of a Demko injury.

Come on now people, get a grip. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1