[GDT] Nashville @ Vancouver | Tuesday, April 23rd | Round 1 - Game 2 | 7pt/10et | SNP/W/O/E - SN650 | Kesler Night|

Jumping in on the Demko injury.

Canuck fans were greeted by the worst possible news this morning: Demko is injured with no information about when (or if) he might return. 

There is no sugar-coating this news. Goalies are usually the most important players on the ice and I think the old adage that "usually the team with the better goalie wins" is correct. (The data is pretty convincing on that point if by "better" we mean the one with the better save percentage in the game or the better "goals below expected" number).

That was true in the first game against Nashville.

On the positive side, DeSmith is certainly capable of putting in a strong performance, as he did against Edmonton. And if the two goalies are roughly the same, we can hope that the Canucks' better depth will be enough to get the win. 

So I am less optimistic about tonight than I was before but am still fairly optimistic. But obviously we want Demmer  back as soon as possible (provided he is healthy.)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

28 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I don’t know what game you were watching but the game I watched didn’t have us Dominating them for the entire game We took penalties trying to deal with their speed. 

I can tell you one difference...I didn't watch looking for shit to whine about. There were some valid issues but outside of some of the 2nd they carried the play and had the possession % in their favor until defending the lead. 

Edited by Gnarcore
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

Demko took a hard shot off the mask in the second or third period. I wonder if he's having some concussion symptoms. He did suffer through concussion issues a few years ago. Otherwise I didn't see where else he might have been hurt, maybe a strained groin on the Beauvillier save, but that was early and he played the rest of the game without any obvious issues.

53 minutes ago, Darius said:

I have my coiler fan in laws texting me "congrats on your Cinderella season - too bad its over" .   Harsh words are bout to be exchanged.  I warned my wife.

Turn vegan, that'll really piss off Albertans 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Canuck You said:

The "day-to-day" is a bit of a relief..Man I hope Petey wakes the fuck up and lights it!

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but RT says that about every player when he's inured. Blueger, Soucy, Joshua, and Lindholm, were all day to day originally.

I'm hoping this time it actually is though.

• Sad 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Bad math?

He has 16 assists in 18 games- but the list of comparatives says in first '30' games- so Quinn has 12 more games to get 3 assists?

• Cheers 1

I think desmith can handle a series, but we'll need to adjust and either be more defensive if we get a lead or more attacking (my preference).

If for whatever reason casey is off his game then you need to switch to silovs fast. Common in playoffs for goalies to platoon, you take the hot hand. Ian clark we believe (and demko to return soon).

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Unfortunately, I missed game 1 as I was at my best friend’s birthday party, but it looks like we won and played well. 

Demko being out is a concern, if it’s long term. Should still be able to win this series though and hopefully Demko is back for round 2.

I call BS. A friend wouldn't ask you to miss that game

8 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Bad math?

He has 16 assists in 18 games- but the list of comparatives says in first '30' games- so Quinn has 12 more games to get 3 assists?

That list can't be right...

All the great D in the history of NHL Where's Orr Coffey Leech Blake Lindstrom etc?

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

quit the fuckin negativity guys. “This could get ugly” blah blah blah. This season wasnt held together by Demko, it was achieved through teamwork and that included not having Demko for a period of time. This team is built top to bottom, our D is healthy, they are playing mean as fuck and keeping shots to the outside and not making it easy for Nashville to get to the net. We can win this series with DeSmith covering for Demmer and thats with a struggling PP. Once that PP gets goin, its a much more lopsided series in our favour with DeSmith in net.

image.gif.91893e72362fa40a37b3766cb682f659.gif