[GDT] Nashville @ Vancouver | Tuesday, April 23rd | Round 1 - Game 2 | 7pt/10et | SNP/W/O/E - SN650 | Kesler Night|

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

So, in order to be a starting goalie, you can’t get injured?

Do you think he’s housing bags of chips and cookies until he passes out in the offseason? Of course he trains.

The hyperbole is ridiculous. 

My reaction was a knee-jerk one. Sorry 

• Desmenko 1

Just now, Win2024 said:

My reaction was a knee-jerk one. Sorry 

No need. Injuries happen to the best of players. It’s a hard, fast, tough game in the playoffs and it puts these guys through the wringer physically. 

10 minutes ago, Kevlar said:

I'm pretty confident of our defense, specially against the Preds. I'm worried about goaltending in the next few rounds (yes, I said next few) about our goaltending. Don't get me wrong, I have faith in De Smith in spells... I'm just not sure of on a nightly basis.

Please prove me wrong or let TD be back by round 2.

Just need to focus on tonight. One game at a time. Don't think about the series. If we win tonight, despite the setback, we go up 2-0. 

• Like 2
  • Desmenko 1

11 minutes ago, nergish said:

I was asked to dust off the goalie pads recently and join this beer league team. Tried my pads on for the first time in roughly 10 years, dropped into my butterfly, and my knees just said “nope”.

There’s nothing natural about the movements a goalie makes, and you can’t just train your knees and joints in the offseason…

Thatcher is now officially injury-prone, but injuries are accidents. There aren’t really preventative measures.

Fitness helps reduce injuries generally, but these guys are peak, so not really a factor for them.

3 hours ago, Highstickin said:

People probably said the same about Bobrovsky or Freddy Anderson last year:

Bob - 2022-23 RS 3.07 GAA and .901 SV%

2022-23 Playoffs 2.78 GAA and .915 SV%

Anderson - 2022-23 RS 2.48 GAA and .903 SV%

2022-23 Playoffs 1.83 GAA and .927 SV%

While the regular season is not meaningless, some goalies are able to turn it on when the pressure is the highest. From what I have seen, some goalies really thrive when put under higher workloads. Maybe the issue for Desmith so far is not getting the net often enough to "feel the puck". 

While we are looking at numbers, Desmith does have one playoff start. in 2021-22 he started the first game of the playoffs for Pitt and got the win in triple OT. Stopped 51 of 54 shots for a .941 SV%. 

I think Desmith is the opposite. He’s great when thrown in here and there and for short stretches, but seems to falter the longer the stretch he plays in. He can definitely get us through a round or two, but really hope Demko is back sooner than later.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, arsenalian said:

I think Desmith is the opposite. He’s great when thrown in here and there and for short stretches, but seems to falter the longer the stretch he plays in. He can definitely get us through a round or two, but really hope Demko is back sooner than later.

Definitely not too worried about a few games. After that, it becomes nail biting time.

26 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

So, in order to be a starting goalie, you can’t get injured?

Do you think he’s housing bags of chips and cookies until he passes out in the offseason? Of course he trains.

The hyperbole is ridiculous. 

Mr. Blunt has returned! How’s the smoke in P-town? 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

In the 14 games where DeSmith and Silovs played while Demko was injured, Canucks had a:

2.85 GAA

0.884 Sv%

DeSmith and Silov's stats this regular season:

DeSmith:  2.89 GAA, 0.895 Sv%

Silovs:  2.47 GAA, 0.881 Sv%

In the 3 games Demko has been back, Canucks have a:

2.33 GAA

0.920 Sv%

Demko's record this regular season:

2.45 GAA

0.918 Sv%

Let's not kid ourselves.  The goalie is on the ice for 60min per game.  This is a huge blow to our chances. 

The team also plays differently with Demko in net.  More aggressive, and they push the play more.  Unless Petey comes alive, we're gonna be in tough, even against this Nashville team.

Perfect case of selective stats. Conveniently ignoring the fact that we also missed other key parts of our defensive game. Ignoring the rest of the season for DeSmith. Essentially letting 2 bad games drive the higher than normal numbers…

18 minutes ago, arsenalian said:

People keep referencing this but it's not exactly fair or accurate. The team and Casey's numbers struggled at times this season during Demmer's absence but we were also missing Joshua, Soucy and Lindholm at times during that same stretch. DeSmith's never really had a full healthy squad in front of him for long or been given the net during the playoffs.

But I get it. Yet again. The more timid Vancouver Canuck fans among us, scarred by years past and afraid to face the prospect of further pain and loss, would prefer to temper expectations, put aside hope and cling to their fears rather than having faith in our team and one of our guys to do his job well

Good thing the guys in the room likely don't look at their team mate the same way