[PGT] Nashville at Vancouver - Stanley Cup Playoffs Round 1 - Game 2

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. This team only goes as far as he takes them. And right now, it's not looking like they're going to go very far. He shouldn't be mad, because his play has been complete shit since the All Star break. 

I’ve said is before he’s a prime candidate for a sports psychologist. He’s clearly affected between the ears. Clearly he’s going through it right now and has the yips. It happens to a lot of great athletes where your confidence is shot and you need some help. Too bad it’s happening at the worst possible time. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Not much to say, we are the better team but got some bad luck, bad goaltending and have to find a way to generate more shots past their blocks or drive the net harder because they're blocking all of our peripheral shots. Need to get into the guts of the ice the way they did to us.

DeSmith was dreadful, fault him on all of the goals. That high tip he skid way too far to his left. 2nd goal he gets beat shortside but also blame Juulsen for losing his man and Tocchet for playing our bottom D against Forsberg after a TV timeout in the D zone. Last goal bad mistake by Petey but then horrid rebound right into the slot after a harmless shot to DeSmith's chest. Goaltending cost us the game. Saros makes 3 or 4 great saves, DeSmith gives up 3 fairly average goals. I think sadly we have to go back to DeSmith because Silovs on the road could get ugly.

Up front I don't think we were bad as people say, just a bit unlucky, snakebitten and also didn't execute. I'd be tempted to start the next game with the Lotto line together but we could try similar lines to start the game and if they're still not scoring, shake it up. Nashville are bending and eventually they'll break.

Our PP desperately needs some work though, just have to change things up big time. We need more net front presence so maybe Joshua out there and just shots from Hughes with Miller and Petey on the half boards who can float inside for a double screen or use Boeser in the crease too.

Tiny adjustments needed, we're close to opening up this Nashville team but tonight was ugly.

Now it's onto the coaches, time for them to earn their keep and prove why they're so good. This series is all about adjustments and we'll have to make some big ones to protect our trash goalie and break through their shot blocks.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

Gonna have to mix it up somehow, it's been cold to lukewarm for a while

Tocchet is good with defensive hockey, but not so much with skill.......and hrs stupidly stubborn 

Just now, stawns said:

Let the excuses commence.

Wtf?  If you don't think losing our all star world class goaltender is a decent reason why we lost, then you have zero clue. 

Just now, DeNiro said:

Absolutely.

Thats hockey though. Some nights you get the bounces some nights you don’t.

This team believes in the systems though. They didn’t fold down 3-1 and dominated play for most of the third. If they start a game like that they’ll be in much better shape.

Exactly. Well said. 

I feel like our forwards may play better on the road. Too much gripping sticks at home. 
It’ll be interesting to hear whether a Demko even makes the trip. If we lose game 3, I’m all for letting DeSmith be backup for Game 4. 
Petey looked ok to me in the 2nd and 3rd. He’s trying, and getting very close. 

• Like 1

I’ve been trying hard to not be overly harsh of criticism towards Pettersson since last year I got that way towards Miller when he was off which was a really stupid thing to do that I regret and I don’t want to repeat that, That said the longer this goes on for (especially when it’s in the playoffs) the harder and harder it gets to hold back. I’m just tired of seeing him look like he doesn’t care out there and like he’s hardly even trying most of the time. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Pretty disappointed in some of our so called super stars 

needed big game and guys to step up instead more of the same.
it’s a good thin ep signed that contract when he did because he’d be closer to a 8 mill player now 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Different game and different momentum if we had that first one back 

^That was huge. 

I blame the arena fans for un-nerving a second-string goalie, who’s just trying to settle in, with a very ill-timed & distracting chant. 

He’s no ordinary player, he’s your goalie. Focus is everything! If you do that to the opposition’s goalie, you’re often considered a trolling jerk. 

Why, people?

I hope the starter of that thing learned something very valuable for the future, tonight.  

Edited by viking mama
  • Like 3
  • Cheers 1

Just now, HKSR said:

Wtf?  If you don't think losing our all star world class goaltender is a decent reason why we lost, then you have zero clue. 

I know truly great teams find ways to win when injuries hit.  I can see the apologists getting their excuses ready for summer

Playoffs all about adjustments 

Last min injuries (Demko, Myers)

Preds brought their game today but had some puck luck for sure.  

Nux didn't execute well. EP has a poor game.  JT and QH weren't great like their usual self.  

Juuls got into penalty trouble but settled down later.  

Casey has a bad luck on first goal.  Didn't think he was bad or got rattled.   Tocchet probably will go with him in game 3. 

Disappointed for sure, but I think Nux have what it takes to win the series. 

You don't learn how to win a playoff series overnight.  Gonna lose tough games. Just need to have a short memory and win the next game.   Series is only 1-1.  

• Like 1