[PGT] Nashville at Vancouver - Stanley Cup Playoffs Round 1 - Game 2

12 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

Just the other day Tocchet said something about now that playoffs are here, "no more video games" for Petey. I don't know if that was a real shot across the bow, or if he was just joking. His off-ice commitment maybe is a concern. I know Hughes has mentioned specifically that he's completely changed his diet and is reading books on self-betterment and other things to become the best player he can be. Maybe Petey needs to do the same.

tocc was bemoaning earlier in the season how petey likes to take it easy in practice so he has energy for the games, whereas tocchet is a firm believer in the concept that you play how you practice. 

I guess the guy with all the experience might know what he's talking about. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

But wait don't they say you just have make it into the playoffs and anything can happen?..............Yeah right, anything can happen, like friggin injuries to our star players that end our run before it even starts.....................Sigh!

He's been a spark plug all year, sometimes playing on either line one or two. Wonder what's wrong?

I'm hearing folks say, swap him for Podkolzin and I say do it. Podz learned a ton in the A and 

being the aggressor may be the most important. That was lacking to some degree, under Green and Boudreou

but he's unreal good now.

pettersson-miller-boes

joshua-lindholm-garland

hoglander-blueger-lafferty

mikheyev-suter-podkolzin

pp1

joshua, garland, miller, boeser, hughes 

pp2

hoglander, pettersson, lindholm, hronek, zadorov. 

Edited by tas
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Cup_Starved said:

Not sure if this was mentioned before but after Pettersson missed the open net why didn't he pursue the puck.  Seemed like he might have been able to at least challenge for possession still.  Instead he stared into the skies and fell to his knees.  Com'on dude, you have to show more fight than that.  This is the Stanley Cup playoffs and you are a superstar, not a high school basketball game

Hughes is trying too hard.  Trying to carry this team on his back but instead he will wear himself out and start making bad plays.  Team probably needs to do the counterintuitive thing and dial things back 5%

Going on the road might be the magic the Canucks need at this point

its funny, for all the flack Miller got for his body language Id say Petey needs to focus in on what’s important.  Of course he was bummed he missed that open net but if they play is alive, keep playing like you said.  he’s a better player when he plays determined and even a little bit angry . mentally he was a lot more like Hughes is now when he entered the league.  hopefully a little chat with the coaches and going on the road does that.  

Edited by AngryGoose
typos
  • Vintage 1

Sucks that Demko might be out the whole series maybe longer. After everything this team has done this season it might come to an end. Key word: might. 

I think the Canucks need to sharpen up their play. With better team defence we should be able to offset the difference Demko would make. Desmith is no Demko and the loss is going to be huge. But I think at least for this round we could manage with better play and finish.

35 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

He's been a spark plug all year, sometimes playing on either line one or two. Wonder what's wrong?

I'm hearing folks say, swap him for Podkolzin and I say do it. Podz learned a ton in the A and 

being the aggressor may be the most important. That was lacking to some degree, under Green and Boudreou

but he's unreal good now.

I that’s fair move to get Podkolzin in , but for who is the real Question. PDG has not been terrible but maybe sitting him and putting pods in Hogs place. Best of 5 , we’re going to be alright.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

If I said it once I said it a thousand times 

Rest 40 till the playoffs 

But nope he lolly gagged his way through a bunch of not so meaningful games then 

Carried that lolly gagging to the playoffs 

He thinks he's Jim Sandlack

When he's built like Mason Raymond 

• Haha 1

Maybe throw Hogz back on the 4th line with Lafferty. They were dynamite together. That would be huge to get the 4th line going again.

Then can re-unite Blueger, Garly, Joshua and move Lindholm up to the top 6. 

Would love to see Hoglander-Lafferty-Podkolzin….. 

Edited by NucksNation
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Cup_Starved said:

Not sure if this was mentioned before but after Pettersson missed the open net why didn't he pursue the puck.  Seemed like he might have been able to at least challenge for possession still.  Instead he stared into the skies and fell to his knees.  Com'on dude, you have to show more fight than that.  This is the Stanley Cup playoffs and you are a superstar, not a high school basketball game

Hughes is trying too hard.  Trying to carry this team on his back but instead he will wear himself out and start making bad plays.  Team probably needs to do the counterintuitive thing and dial things back 5%

Going on the road might be the magic the Canucks need at this point

There was like 2 or 3 seconds left in the period, the horn sounded right after.

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, kilgore said:

No one wants to ever discuss it, but Petey's frame has to be considered before signing him to 11.6 x 8.  Too late for that now.  Petey will never "fill out".  Well not until he retires and fills out in another way. Its his bone structure, he just has a thinner frame than most other hockey players. The uncomfortable truth is that size is a big factor in the NHL. That is a larger skilled player has a greater advantage than a smaller framed equally skilled player.  I love Petey, but that was a main reason he wasn't considered as a top 3 pick in his draft.

He's a brilliant player.  And his skill, when his confidence is at 100%, is spectacular, and it makes up for his lack of girth.  Not comparing him to Gretzky, but that is another example of how a smaller framed player can still be great. Petey just has to learn how to still be able to do his thing, make plays, and still avoid the checks, and get himself out of the way.  And I have faith he will get there.  It just may not be developed enough for this playoffs, (but I'm not saying he won't). I do think he'll learn from experience and be better by the time we are in the playoffs again.

Lately it seems he is envious of bigger (thicker) players and wants to feel what's its like to make a big hit.   This season he's made more of a concerted effort to be more physical, even if its mainly the 'reverse hit'.  But maybe that is part of his distraction. He wants to do everything. He's got to focus on what he can do best, accept his limitations, and maybe leave the other jobs for those better built for it. You'll never be Punishing Pete, concentrate on being Sneaky Pete again.

The contrast between how Garland and Petey handle their size issues is striking. One would dismiss Garland right away with his size, but he uses it to his advantage. He often slips around players because he is smaller and when he gets hit he still manages to keep moving. Petey on the other hand seems to fall down more often and hits disrupt his play. 

I was always concerned about playoff Petey atm he is struggling to find out how to play in more physical playoff style hockey. It felt like Tocchet was saying that maybe this is his playoff learning year and next year he will be more ready for it. Hopefully he can figure it out soon, but a series can quickly be short.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

The contrast between how Garland and Petey handle their size issues is striking. One would dismiss Garland right away with his size, but he uses it to his advantage. He often slips around players because he is smaller and when he gets hit he still manages to keep moving. Petey on the other hand seems to fall down more often and hits disrupt his play. 

I was always concerned about playoff Petey atm he is struggling to find out how to play in more physical playoff style hockey. It felt like Tocchet was saying that maybe this is his playoff learning year and next year he will be more ready for it. Hopefully he can figure it out soon, but a series can quickly be short.

There’s a big  difference in the centre of gravity between Garland and Pettersson. 

Petterssons longer  body and legs also create a better lever for prying/pushing against.