[PGT] Nashville at Vancouver - Stanley Cup Playoffs Round 1 - Game 2

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

well changing his position and wingers every other shift certainly ain't going to get him going.. hoglander is stapled to the bench.. as for the lotto line not being relevant? well it was relevant in january the last time they actually played them together for the entire game.. since then they haven't played a single game as a line from start to finish actually ahven't even started a game together.. hoglander have been irrelevant so far and dating back the last couple week of the season.. mikheyev well he has 1 goal in more than half a season.. laffety can't make a play at all.. we ain't winning this series if EP doesn't show up.. and his current wingers certainly doesn't help

It doesn't take a rocket science to see that no one has gelled with Petey, period. The Lotto Line has barely played together this year and when they did, they were spending most of the time in the D zone because they had no one to dig the puck out of the corners. They did gel for a short time but they became stale and they were again split apart. No one has gelled like Joshua,Blueger and Garland this year.

Hoglander has played great this year, except when he played with Petey Hmmmm? I see a bit of a pattern here..........

Lindholm should have been able to help him out too but that went nowhere. 

You are right, if one of our top players doesn't start to produce anytime soon, we are going nowhere for sure. 

57 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Every team in the NHL would be lining up if the Canucks decided to trade Petey.  Every team...

You seem to make a lot of unsubstantiated claims as if they were facts - "100-pt Selke finalist", "best all around center", "top 5 all around center", "back-to-back 100 pt center". 

And when people cite actual facts about Pettersson, you say they are sh****** on him. 

There is no need to do that. Nobody here is hoping to see him fail. Everyone knows his personal success is good for the team. Everyone is hoping he plays great and will be ecstatic if/when he does. But he was poor last game, and has not been great for quite a while now (multiple months). There's nothing wrong with stating that fact.

• Cheers 1

I'm honestly not fussed about our forwards too much, they had loads of chances and should be able to get it together. We dominated Nashville and they can't win 3 more games like the last.

My worry is goaltending. Saros is very beatable but a bad goalie like DeSmith can just suck the life out of a team. If he doesn't perform better in the next game then we surely go with Silovs which is quite a desperate play. If we lose because of bad goaltending then we really need to consider a true 1B goalie a bit like how Boston win games, even if it's just in the short term.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Garland is 5'8".  He literally is able to go underneath guys.  Petey is 6'2".  He has to go through guys.  Big difference...

My comment wasn't about the specific differences in their physiques, but in how they've used their physiques to their advantage. Petey *was* able to do that, but have struggled with how to do it since the All Star break.

Edited by AnotherCanucksFan

22 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

It doesn't take a rocket science to see that no one has gelled with Petey, period. The Lotto Line has barely played together this year and when they did, they were spending most of the time in the D zone because they had no one to dig the puck out of the corners. They did gel for a short time but they became stale and they were again split apart. No one has gelled like Joshua,Blueger and Garland this year.

Hoglander has played great this year, except when he played with Petey Hmmmm? I see a bit of a pattern here..........

You are right, if one of our top players doesn't start to produce anytime soon, we are going nowhere for sure. 

lindholm played with him for 1 and a half game. EP needs a playmaker that can get the puck to him when he's open.. we don't have one that can do that.. or he needs a shooter the other team remotely gives a lick about so they ain't cheating on him we don't have one either.. so what do we have? 3 forwards on the line that doesn't do anything.. when was the last time EP have time and space?? i can't remember.. because the other team doesn't give a f about the other 2 winger therefore ep can't get the puck to those guys and those guys can only get the puck on net themselves coz they ain't good at reading the play and finding open guys as they have a shoot first mentality

3 hours ago, Rebelnuck said:

He made his demands public putting pressure on the team before putting pen to paper. Its not my concern what year the payments are made. He deserves what he brought on himself.

Where/when did he make his demands public?

As far as I remember, he didn't want to discuss contract until the off season, but the Fans and Management alike wanted the contract done and dusted... This is not on Petey... 

• Cheers 3

I dont think Tocc needs to a drastic line up change given how they controlled play but one idea:

Suter Miller Boeser

Josh Petey Garland

Mik Lindy Lafferty

Podz Bleugs Hogz

Lindy can still match up vs O’Reilly and given Hogz is playing limited mins it might suit him (and the team) to be a 4th line dynamo.  

Still happy to see the same line up in game 3

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

My comment wasn't about the specific differences in their physiques, but in how they've used their physiques to their advantage. Petey *was* able to do that, but have struggled with how to do it since the All Star break.

Petey had 125 hits this year.  On some of those hits, the other guy was literally knocked to the ice.  He has greatly improved in that area of his game.  His reverse hit is becoming legendary in the NHL.  Garland OTOH is not a physical force at all.  Their games are completely different.  Garland is small enough to literally go underneath players and he is too small to hit on most occasions.  He is also very elusive, he has to be or he probably wouldn't have lasted this long in the NHL.

Petey is tall and lean, so yes he will fall down sometimes as his height is a negative in some situations and he is not built like Miller or even Boeser.  Also, yesterday Petey had 3 hits, Miller only had 2 and Boeser had zero.  So, who is the more physical player?

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

14 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'm honestly not fussed about our forwards too much, they had loads of chances and should be able to get it together. We dominated Nashville and they can't win 3 more games like the last.

My worry is goaltending. Saros is very beatable but a bad goalie like DeSmith can just suck the life out of a team. If he doesn't perform better in the next game then we surely go with Silovs which is quite a desperate play. If we lose because of bad goaltending then we really need to consider a true 1B goalie a bit like how Boston win games, even if it's just in the short term.

DeSmith had a .912, .914, and .905 for his 3 years in Pittsburgh. He dropped to .896 in Vancouver, so it's not just he's a 'bad' goalie as it is an adjustment to a new system and team and defense in front of him. Not sure he can find his playoff game, but hopefully he can get back to the .900+ pct

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Petey had 125 hits this year.  On some of those hits, the other guy was literally knocked to the ice.  He has greatly improved in that area of his game.  His reverse hit is becoming legendary in the NHL.  Garland OTOH is not a physical force at all.  Their games are completely different.  Garland is small enough to literally go underneath players and he is too small to hit on most occasions.  He is also very elusive, he has to be or he probably wouldn't have lasted this long in the NHL.

Petey is tall and lean, so yes he will fall down sometimes as his height is a negative in some situations and he is not built like Miller or even Boeser.  Also, yesterday Petey had 3 hits, Miller only had 2 and Boeser had zero.  So, who is the more physical player?

I don't want Petey to do more hits, I want him to shoot in the moments he would have shot in the past. He's not playing with confidence. It seems that the more physical play is getting to him.

Game 3 we'll see if him, Miller, Boeser, et al can play more fluidity together.

3 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Does anyone disagree that it would have been way better if the contract talks were put on hold until after the playoffs? 

Totally..... Just like Petey requested at the start of the season AND throughout the season...

38 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Last year Kuzmenko had 39 goals and Petey had 102 points.  I would say they "gelled" together quite well.  This year, Tocchet didn't like Kuzmenko's defensive game so that screwed up that entire line.  And Mikheyev forgot how to score goals even though Petey put him in places to easily score.  Lafferty is barely a 4th liner but was Petey's wingman for several games.  Imagine Edmonton putting a guy like Lafferty on McDavid's wing?  

Also, since when did Hoglander stop playing well when he moved up to Petey's line?  Can you elaborate on that?  Lindholm did nothing up until a couple of weeks ago as he was dealing with an injury, so how does that have anything to do with Petey?  Lindholm was playing up and down the lineup and was crap with everyone when he arrived...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

DeSmith had a .912, .914, and .905 for his 3 years in Pittsburgh. He dropped to .896 in Vancouver, so it's not just he's a 'bad' goalie as it is an adjustment to a new system and team and defense in front of him. Not sure he can find his playoff game, but hopefully he can get back to the .900+ pct

i saw a stat earlier today that his 5v5 save percentage was close to Demko's 5v5 this year.  Where he has trouble is the PK and this brings his overall to sub .900 this year (im thinking that game vs the wild where they scored a bunch on the PP affected the numbers a lot).  I too am a little concerned but if he can get on a roll and some solid d in front of him he should be ok in this series at least.

Edit: found the twitter post...

Edited by Darius
  • Cheers 3

10 minutes ago, Darius said:

i saw a stat earlier today that his 5v5 save percentage was close to Demko's 5v5 this year.  Where he has trouble is the PK and this brings his overall to sub .900 this year (im thinking that game vs the wild where they scored a bunch on the PP affected the numbers a lot).  I too am a little concerned but if he can get on a roll and some solid d in front of him he should be ok in this series at least.

Edit: found the twitter post...

Agreed but that short side Forsberg goal was ugly - Juulsen lost his man and then no goalie should get beaten like that, and then he coughed up such a bad rebound on the 3rd goal. Even the first, he over-comited to the left. 3 bad 5 on 5 goals.

He looked shaky all night, bad rebounds and lost the puck a lot, and only had like 14 shots against. He has to be a lot better or we're finished, and if he struggles again and we lose the next game, we give Silovs a shot and maybe he can pull off a Schneider-like run...

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If we are going by number of hits, I'd say Miller with 217 hits this season would be the more physical player compared to Pettersson, who had, as you pointed out, 125.

When you say Pettersson had 3 hits while Miller "only" had 2... you realize 3 is only one more than 2, right?

Also, in Game 1, Miller had 4 hits compared to "only" 2 for Pettersson.

2 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

At the end of the day,

Casey ain’t Demko. 

Can the team still win? 

That’s the worry and question. 

Everything else is just nonsense. 

The Boys will answer this question tomorrow.

So, let’s forget about it. 

Just support the team the best ‘we‘ can. 

What will be, will be. 

"Friday"

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1