[PGT] Nashville at Vancouver - Stanley Cup Playoffs Round 1 - Game 2

Hughes is a killer.  I’d say generally speaking this team has a good mindset but Hughes and Miller arnt the type to roll over.  They are gonna play as hard as they can until they’re done.  As a fan I hate seeing Demko out but am kinda curious how the team responds.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think our only hope now is that Silovs is a hidden superstar. I don't think DeSmith is that guy, he looked real shaky in his first game. We'll of course give him another shot but if we lose the next game (or 2 in a row) then it's Silovs' shot.

He was alright during the regular season but he does have some young-Demko big-championship game potential.

Sometimes rookie goalies step in and steal the show and to be honest he's our last chance at any sort of cup run. Don't wait until we're down 3-1, if we lose tomorrow it's Silovs' net.

I think you're getting a way ahead of yourself.

Just because a goalie has a great tourney, doesn't mean he's the next Martin Brodeur.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

Hopefully Demko can come back healthy and stay that way, but I wouldn't wager much on that happening.  

That's on you though.

No reason to believe he won't. Gloom and doom is a mindset. Injuries happen to many players but it doesn't mean "they're done". They're young athletes in great shape with access to the best resources for treatment and recovery. He very well could be done for the season but until we know, we don't.

• Like 2
  • ThereItIs 1

On 4/25/2024 at 5:28 AM, stawns said:

And if you recall, the main reason I thought dealing him was a good move was because his age didn't fit the timeline all that well because as they hit their true contending window, he would be aging and declining and getting assests that would be hitting their prime during that window fit the timeline better would be a good move......considering I think they're probably three years from being true contenders, I stand by that.

No one has ever said he's not a great player, so trying to fix the narrative to fit your own skewed version of events is disingenuous, at best.

You talk in certainties that are just ideas you have but they're not facts.

He would be aging isn't really too relevant with guys in their 30's who, in this day and age of hockey, are often in their best shape ever. Miller's lifestyle is one very focused on nutrition and fitness and a good family life. Matters.

Also "getting assets that would be hitting their prime" is also an unknown. You can't pencil in success for people just as you can't pencil in decline. We KNOW what we have in Miller. 

You're predicting he won't be a great player and that others will be (assets). That's you fixing the narrative to fit your own skewed version of events.

People who are still arguing that he doesn't fit don't realize if we didn't have him Petey would likely be gone soon. Quinn might want out. Etc. And being upset over the fact that they built around Miller rather than Bo?  It's turning out to be the right decision. The culture IS changing.

Miller drives this bus and the team around him realizes that. So assets may not want to be here if the team starts looking different.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1
  • MillerTime 1

32 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think our only hope now is that Silovs is a hidden superstar. I don't think DeSmith is that guy, he looked real shaky in his first game. We'll of course give him another shot but if we lose the next game (or 2 in a row) then it's Silovs' shot.

He was alright during the regular season but he does have some young-Demko big-championship game potential.

Sometimes rookie goalies step in and steal the show and to be honest he's our last chance at any sort of cup run. Don't wait until we're down 3-1, if we lose tomorrow it's Silovs' net.

Demko had his tough, breaking in days too, many moons ago. Ian Clark and helped him  with his style and habits, he leaned well seeing and working with Marktsrom 

Either of our pair of netminders might rally under the circumstances, who knows where a star is born?

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I think you're getting a way ahead of yourself.

Just because a goalie has a great tourney, doesn't mean he's the next Martin Brodeur.

I don/t believe it was Brodeur that stepped in and stole the show as a rookie goalie. Patrick Roy did and won the damn thing. 

Anyway, Silvos has shown he has the tools to be a good if not great goalie. Its no secret its out there for the world to see. Dude has the skills. 

So do many, many other young goalies out there. They all have the skills, its about endurance and keeping the mindset to continually do it for 60-65 regular season games plus playoffs. The difference maker the Canucks have is Ian Clark. He gets the best out of any goalie he coaches, and all past n present say the same thing about him. 

No Siloves will not be another Brodour, his wins record will never be touched. However with his natural skills and Ians, one of a kind guidance he will absolutely be a capable starter. When its all is said and done, you dont need a star goalie, you need a well rounded team in front of them.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

You talk in certainties that are just ideas you have but they're not facts.

He would be aging isn't really too relevant with guys in their 30's who, in this day and age of hockey, are often in their best shape ever. Miller's lifestyle is one very focused on nutrition and fitness and a good family life. Matters.

Also "getting assets that would be hitting their prime" is also an unknown. You can't pencil in success for people just as you can't pencil in decline. We KNOW what we have in Miller. 

You're predicting he won't be a great player and that others will be. That's you fixing the narrative to fit your own skewed version of events.

People who are still arguing that he doesn't fit don't realize if we didn't have him Petey would likely be gone soon. Quinn might want out. Etc.

Miller drives this bus and the team around him realizes that. So assets may not want to be here if the team starts looking different.

30 is the new 20

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Vancan said:

30 is the new 20

For some.

Thing is, younger guys can party all night and still show up and play but if that's the lifestyle as you age, it can catch up over time and take a toll. 

But Miller's not one of those guys and could very well still perform at a high level over the next few years. There's NO reason to think he won't unless injuries start to take a toll (knocking on wood). His game is very much opportunistic and he sets others up nicely because he sees the game well as it unfolds. He's often thinking ahead of the play.. He doesn't have to be the fastest out there - he reacts quickly. I don't think he'll lose the mental edge that drives him to succeed. I mean, he's not 80 and he's just hitting his stride by all accounts and purposes.

Some are just stuck on that narrative....that it's a given that he'll decline and also that a younger guy ("asset") will just automatically produce at a high level. Both are uncertainties. And those assets can become liabilities just as easily as Miller could.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

For some.

Thing is, younger guys can party all night and still show up and play but if that's the lifestyle as you age, it can catch up. 

But Miller's not one of those guys and could very well still perform at a high level over the next few years. There's NO reason to think he won't unless injuries start to take a toll (knocking on wood). Some are just stuck on that narrative....that it's a given that he'll decline and also that a younger guy ("asset") will just automatically produce at a high level. Both are uncertainties.

When you think about it JT has not even reached his full potential. Look at his stats, every year he gets better and better. Not just points either, all stats. 

It sounds strange to say but he may hit his peak next year or the next. Then a SLOW decline, but it will not be noticeable till nearing the end of his contract, which we all expect. 

JT's numbers in the time he has been in the organization rival Bure's with the same time. I can't remember the stat off hand, but its something like no one since prime Ryan Getzlaf in his best year, has had more points combined with hits than Miller. 

Dont understand why some people complain about having this guy on our team.??? Complain just to complain I guess. 

• Like 3
  • MillerTime 1

1 hour ago, AngryGoose said:

Hughes is a killer.  I’d say generally speaking this team has a good mindset but Hughes and Miller arnt the type to roll over.  They are gonna play as hard as they can until they’re done.  As a fan I hate seeing Demko out but am kinda curious how the team responds.

I said the same thing a few days ago. 
Now we'll see how good the team really is...

We were never going to go through the entire play offs without injuries...

Now let JT pull one of his famous locker room battle cry's and lift them the additional 5% needed....

• MillerTime 2

6 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

In three years when Quinn is up we only have 3 players under contract. 

Lol we can't go for it this year, we need to wait 3 years when we have 3 players under contract and a bunch of unknowns. 

Yeah let's ignore that we are division champs and a top 5 team in the league and put our hopes 3 years from now when we have 3 players and have no idea who else will be here.. 

2 hours ago, -dlc- said:

That's on you though.

No reason to believe he won't. Gloom and doom is a mindset. Injuries happen to many players but it doesn't mean "they're done". They're young athletes in great shape with access to the best resources for treatment and recovery. He very well could be done for the season but until we know, we don't.

It's not doom and gloom.  It's looking at the facts.  Demko has missed significant chunks of time in each of the past 3 seasons.  These aren't little tweaks, these are significant injuries and other than the conclusions (which are worrisome on thuer iwn) they've all been significant lower body injuries.  Factor in his hip surgeries and the wear and tear goalies knees and hips take on a dailey basis and there's more than enough reason to speculate on his long term future.  Did I say hw was done? No.  But I do see some parallels to what Price went through. Demko is younger than Price was when he was forced into retirement, but he's also got a longer injury history at this point.  

I hope Demko is able to bounce back and play at a high level for several more years, but it won't surprise me if his career is cut short by chronic injuries.  Vancouver should be planning for  that contingency now. 

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

DeSmith will get the opportunity.

Silovs is the teams future in net. He is being molded into a 1a/1b and if he fills his potential will be challenging Demko for starts by the time Demko is a pending UFA.

Demko's potential injury concerns may expedite or allow more opportunity for Silovs sooner but the club has him pegged as their future in goal regardless.

4 hours ago, -dlc- said:

For some.

Thing is, younger guys can party all night and still show up and play but if that's the lifestyle as you age, it can catch up over time and take a toll. 

But Miller's not one of those guys and could very well still perform at a high level over the next few years. There's NO reason to think he won't unless injuries start to take a toll (knocking on wood). His game is very much opportunistic and he sets others up nicely because he sees the game well as it unfolds. He's often thinking ahead of the play.. He doesn't have to be the fastest out there - he reacts quickly. I don't think he'll lose the mental edge that drives him to succeed. I mean, he's not 80 and he's just hitting his stride by all accounts and purposes.

Some are just stuck on that narrative....that it's a given that he'll decline and also that a younger guy ("asset") will just automatically produce at a high level. Both are uncertainties. And those assets can become liabilities just as easily as Miller could.

Rod brindamour scored 30 goals at 35, 80 points at 36, i could see JT becoming the same kind of two-way guy. 

• Cheers 3

11 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Your post makes no sense. 

You say in 3 years Petey and Hughes might "possibly be at their very best" which is an unknown. 

You say "if" Miller is scoring 80-90 pts, he might be a better trade value. 

You talk about the OEL cap hit and the upcoming raises required for Hronek, Joshua, Zadorov. You also acknowledge Petey's new cap hit next year. You forget that Quinn will probably be the highest paid D man after 3 seasons. 

Right now, Canucks are a top 5 team in the league and division champs. 

Right now Miller is scoring 103 pts (not 80-90)

Right now Hughes leads all d men in pts. 

Demko is 28 and one of the top goalies in the league at a bargain contract and has 2 more seasons left at that price. 

Petey (as much as we harp on him) scored 89 pts while making 7.35m this year

Boeser just hit a career year and has 1 year left on his contract. 

This is all before new big contracts kick in and we're forced to lose some players. 

I'm not gloom and doom to say our window is only open now and will close in 2-3 years. Our management has done an amazing job with guys like Podz, Hogz, Lekkermaki, Willander ready to come in through the system and take big roles but to say our true contending timeline is 3 years away is just stupid. 

Are we waiting for all the stars to align perfectly? Will that be our 1 shot at our cup? 

Like how much more perfect does it need to get? 

What if I told you in 3 years, Miller is an 80 pt player. 

Petey stays a 90 pt player while making 11.6m

Hughes is a 90 pt player on his final year before UFA with multiple Norris trophies under his belt and will become the highest paid d man in the league. 

We let Myers go and Z is now making 4.5m

DJ is making 3.25m and playing as he is now

Hronek is making 7.5m and playing the same

We lost Boeser and replaced him with Lekkermaki who is learning the ropes and putting up 50 pts

We lost Garland to UFA 

Podz is comfortable in a 3rd line role putting up 40 pts. 

We let Lindholm go this summer

Willander is playing steady bottom pairing and learning the ropes

Does that sound like a contender? 

It could be if we made other trades to bolster the lineup but that's my point. It's still a big UNKNOWN. 

Like how is that situation better than the current situation (before Demko got injured) 

It really isn't and to kick the can down the road for an unknown is beyond stupid. 

It's like folding AK suited and hoping you'll get dealt pocket Aces in 3 years. 

THN has our window this year and the next three.   Also has our window, as the second best in the entire NHL.   Dallas is the only one, considered wide open with no limitations.

Why is that?  Contracts simple as that.   Who is coming up, and how that will effect "windows" per say.    Demko, Miller, Brock, Demko and QHs  - the contract they did mention and how wide this window is as a result is EPs recent legacy deal and how the team will navigate that with cheaper contracts.   Once all these guys gets paid, things get trickier.   

Sure the "window", might be sustained past QHs boffo deal.    That likely depends on how well we do this playoffs and over the next two seasons.   Tried explaining that early in the season.   Others get it too.    It doesn't mean our window is red hot, sun is blazing in your eyes brilliant either.    Typically, once everyone is paid the ability to ice a better team goes down considerably, until cap goes up enough.    

Best way to keep a long window, is drafting and an ability to find key support players for chump change. 

Look at CHI.   Kane and Toews got paid and that was it for them.   Even Panarin on a sweetheart deal, for two years, couldn't help them do much.    Same with LA as soon as Doughty got paid.     Back a little while,  Suter and Parise, and that's a mediocre team.  

Fun part is reading about other teams and the challenges they have coming soon.   Doesn't mean they won't do something to add a year or two,  but it does suggest that they have to go for it now.    EDM is an easy target.   Drasaitl, try and find a player with as many 100 point seasons over the past half decade or so on his resume.   McDavid of course too.    COL lost depth after they won a cup and McKinnon got paid properly. 

Cap cycles are limited and fluid.   Don't get that many chances, when they come you have to support them. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Anyone outside of Canada watching via an ESPN+ subscription? I had to pay for a TV Provider in order to watch Games 1 and 2. However, it seems ESPN is not carrying any playoff games until the Monday, which means both Games 3 and 4 won't be on ESPN (at least that's what it seems like based on

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2024/04/2024-nhl-stanley-cup-playoffs-presented-by-geico-begin-april-21-with-quadruple-header-on-espn-and-espn2/

This is pretty frustrating (as was having to pay for a TV Provider on top of ESPN+). Any suggestions how I could catch Games 3 and 4?

3 minutes ago, 43isprime said:

Anyone outside of Canada watching via an ESPN+ subscription? I had to pay for a TV Provider in order to watch Games 1 and 2. However, it seems ESPN is not carrying any playoff games until the Monday, which means both Games 3 and 4 won't be on ESPN (at least that's what it seems like based on

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2024/04/2024-nhl-stanley-cup-playoffs-presented-by-geico-begin-april-21-with-quadruple-header-on-espn-and-espn2/

This is pretty frustrating (as was having to pay for a TV Provider on top of ESPN+). Any suggestions how I could catch Games 3 and 4?

US too - I had to pay for youtube tv (about 60 a month with deal) which gets you espn and tbs (which has next 2 games). Max (formerly hbo) will also stream the next 2 tbs games (i think its about 17 a month). 

Edited by OldFaithfulcap
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

Rod brindamour scored 30 goals at 35, 80 points at 36, i could see JT becoming the same kind of two-way guy. 

If that's the case, this team's going to have a hard time not retiring this guys jersey.    We've got him for 11 seasons (maybe more at this pace)  that's about how long Naslund played for us, and with some injury luck, could play as many games as Smyl did.   So far 402 points in 364 games.   You would be hard pressed to take any 364 games from any former Canuck, and find that sort of production (and those were some bad teams he was on).   Two of his season's were exceptional.    One or two more of those (99-103 plus seasons) before his "regression" to 30 goals and 80 points,  and some playoff heroics in there as well, forget the rafters, this guy could Pavelski his way into the HHOF as well.    Doubt he reaches 1000 points, but that's exactly what he'd be doing, actually 1100 plus if he managed this.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

Demko has missed significant chunks of time in each of the past 3 seasons.

modern starters are expected to play about 55 games. in 2 of the last 3 years demko has played 64 and 51. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

If that's the case, this team's going to have a hard time not retiring this guys jersey.    We've got him for 11 seasons (maybe more at this pace)  that's about how long Naslund played for us, and with some injury luck, could play as many games as Smyl did.   So far 402 points in 364 games.   You would be hard pressed to take any 364 games from any former Canuck, and find that sort of production (and those were some bad teams he was on).   Two of his season's were exceptional.    One or two more of those (99-103 plus seasons) before his "regression" to 30 goals and 80 points,  and some playoff heroics in there as well, forget the rafters, this guy could Pavelski his way into the HHOF as well.  

You can never predict the future but it really does seem like sports science has advanced so i think we'll see players around longer. 

In terms of windows, you never know. Plenty of cinderellas fall after a year, i have my concerns but just want to ride out this year and hope they can continue to defy our history.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, 43isprime said:

no shorty or canucks feed though 😞