[PGT] Nashville at Vancouver - Stanley Cup Playoffs Round 1 - Game 2

Just now, stawns said:

No more than miller or boeser.  I actually thought Petey was pretty engaged tonight.

EP gave away more presents than Santa tonight.  The guy looked like he has summer plans to me.  The guy is unbelievable but it's clear he can't drive plays and he needs a line that does the spade work.  Miller on the other hand does it all.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

No more than miller or boeser.  I actually thought Petey was pretty engaged tonight.

I don't think being "engaged" is enough when you're half a year away from being one of the highest earners on the team and you walk away from this game as a -3.

Just now, NHL97OneTimer said:

What's his ceiling though for that salary?  They have to move him just to keep others who are more effective.  Mik has not been noticeable all year long.  Real disappointment. One of the reasons they got him was for his SH goals, yet I haven't seen him doing much of that.

Right. Don't disagree. We're getting to the end of that salary with him getting better and closer to where he was for a full season. So we'll see more value imo. That's worth riding out 

But I see both sides of the coin. We could flip him too. 

1 minute ago, stawns said:

He shouldn't have to win any games himself against Nashville.

It'd be nice to have that option though, wouldn't it?  A stonewall goalie to bail you out when your team is playing like shit?

• Cheers 1

Just now, Guntrix said:

I don't think being "engaged" is enough when you're half a year away from being one of the highest earners on the team and you walk away from this game as a -3.

Let's see if he rebounds in Game 3. It can't get worse, right. RIIIGHT?

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Johnny said:

This

the series will wear on the more passive team

nashville only won due to puck luck

Being hit but a puck or a body once every 45 seconds on average must have an impact (pun intended).

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

It'd be nice to have that option though, wouldn't it?  A stonewall goalie to bail you out when your team is playing like shit?

Like we did tonight. Yep.

Just now, stawns said:

I agree, but that's what shot blocking does to you, as a shooter.  You start second guessing and look for the pass instead of the shot

I think part of the problem is that the Canucks dont seem to score off of the rush like some of the other top teams do.  Either they dump it in or they cycle back to the D for a shot.  Most of  our D cant get a shot through.  Nashville knows all they have to do is get in the lanes.

Still think this series is totally winnable.  Getting a lead early would help!

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, viking mama said:

How long has this flu been around the locker room? 

Quarantine the players.

Kids & their plethora of school illnesses can really torpedo a club at play-off time.

Canucks were one of the 1st teams to be nearly wiped-out from even fielding a healthy roster during that Covid year. 

Be vigilant! 

Tocchet was ill a week or two ago.  There was one day he was away for game Day skate, and Yeo said he was game day decision. 

But it can be from the community.  It's not bubble COVID protocol anymore.  Can get it anywhere.  No blame on Tocchet.  

• Like 1

I knew it would be a shit game. CBC showed the stupid Winnipeg game; I live in the States, so no Sportsnet. I subscribe to ESPN+, but it wasn't there despite ESPN having the game; I had to go online and change my Xfinity plan (+$20) to add ESPN because it was supposed to be on ESPN2, but they had the FLA game on, which went to OT. The Canucks game was on ESPN News to start, which was NOT included in the services I must added, but in a more expensive package. So I said Fuck Xfinity and listened to Batch until the FLA coverage ended. I work nights, and the Canucks have won about 33% of games where I listened to the radio broadcast, so maybe I need to quit that.

5 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

DeSmith probably won't win us any games.  He isn't an X-Factor like Saros was tonight.  He had an elite performance.

Not really… only 18 shots on goal. Pretty standard for a NHL goalie. Preds were better defensively and capitalized on the mistakes. We need to force them to make mistakes. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

Like we did tonight. Yep.

Well tonight we peppered them with shot attempts but their entire team stonewalled us, from Saros to the five Preds in front of him.  The players made more saves than the goalie.  I don't think @stawns is respecting the defensive cohesion they showed today.  They are likely in a LOT of pain right now.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, viking mama said:

How long has this flu been around the locker room? 

Quarantine the players.

Kids & their plethora of school illnesses can really torpedo a club at play-off time.

Canucks were one of the 1st teams to be nearly wiped-out from even fielding a healthy roster during that Covid year. 

Be vigilant! 

God damnit Gaudettes wife!!!!!

t1i0NW.gif

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

Well tonight we peppered them with shot attempts but their entire team stonewalled us, from Saros to the five Preds in front of him.  The players made more saves than the goalie.  I don't think @stawns is respecting the defensive cohesion they showed today.  They are likely in a LOT of pain right now.

they'll ice themselves, and they'll be ready in Game 3. Let's hope we can break through offensively in Game 3. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, PeteyBoeser said:

Not really… only 18 shots on goal. Pretty standard for a NHL goalie. Preds were better defensively and capitalized on the mistakes. We need to force them to make mistakes. 

I don't think we needed to force mistakes on them tonight.  They just gave us possession for most of the game and just parked the bus.  They seemed content to let us barrage them with shots and they just stuffed all of it.  It's not like Nashville took risks moving up or we dumped the puck and tried to force defenders to turn it over.

47 minutes ago, Pickly said:

I’ve said is before he’s a prime candidate for a sports psychologist. He’s clearly affected between the ears. Clearly he’s going through it right now and has the yips. It happens to a lot of great athletes where your confidence is shot and you need some help. Too bad it’s happening at the worst possible time. 

Some professional athletes never recover from the yips. 

Edited by Barnstorm

3 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Agree.....the Canucks win this game more often than not if they get average goaltending.

• Cheers 2