[PGT] Nashville at Vancouver - Stanley Cup Playoffs Round 1 - Game 2

8 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Well tonight we peppered them with shot attempts but their entire team stonewalled us, from Saros to the five Preds in front of him.  The players made more saves than the goalie.  I don't think @stawns is respecting the defensive cohesion they showed today.  They are likely in a LOT of pain right now.

Ive made multiple posts about how they put on a shot blocking clinic tonight.  What are you talking about?

So I went for a walk to clear my head. 

1. This adversity imo is good for the squad. It will only make them better as they work thru things.

2. The ability to work thru these issues against the weakest West seed in NSH is a luxury. Against a better opponent this could tank us).

3. That Casey chant.. well that was something.. lol. Why we did that I do not know. It was clearly a distraction with everything else going on.

4. The series is tied 1-1, It is now essentially a Best of 5. We have lots of time to make adjustments.

5. It's time to bring in Podkolzin. You can't tell me PDG can have more impact then podz. Because you would be wrong. 

6. The top six has been to diluted of actual top 6 wingers. It's time to concentrate a top six. We had the leagues best 3rd line prior to Dakota's injury.. it's capable of being great. Put Lindholm as a center piece for line 2 with 2 of mikeyev, hogz and/or podz.

7. Be calm and patient with the puck next game. We rushed way to many decisions tonight when we could have simply held on to the puck and looked for the better option. NSH was trying to force us into bad plays and we took the bait.

8. HIT THE NET OR THE defender... Do not shoot wide for tips as often.

9. Trust your instincts and shoot. Be decisive.

that is my 9 suggestions for what we gotta do. We also got silovs who's won a world championship. we got a backup backup. we gucci, trust the process.

• Cheers 3

Just now, NHL97OneTimer said:

Should be their strength.  Time to park Zadorov in front of the net on the PP

Sticking a huge body in front to screen and bang in a rebound or two, a la Bertuzzi is worth a try when the finesse isn't working.

• Vintage 1

55 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:
That is for sure.     He's been MIA for the last two+ months and if this is the future with him then PA just got fleeced with that contract while Petty's laughing all the way to the bank.

I think we'll learn that he's been trying to play through a groin or lower back issue, something that affects his shot and his speed, but still allows him to take face-offs. He hesitates on the one-timer if it hurts, its not nearly the shot it was earlier in the season, and his pace has looked slow since around the All-Star game. He's better than having anybody else out there, but he's not the Petey that we all know and love to bitch about.

22 minutes ago, Darius said:

I think part of the problem is that the Canucks dont seem to score off of the rush like some of the other top teams do.  Either they dump it in or they cycle back to the D for a shot.  Most of  our D cant get a shot through.  Nashville knows all they have to do is get in the lanes.

Still think this series is totally winnable.  Getting a lead early would help!

This, we also go straight to the outside. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Canuckleheads Fan said:

55 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:
That is for sure.     He's been MIA for the last two+ months and if this is the future with him then PA just got fleeced with that contract while Petty's laughing all the way to the bank.

I think we'll learn that he's been trying to play through a groin or lower back issue, something that affects his shot and his speed, but still allows him to take face-offs. He hesitates on the one-timer if it hurts, its not nearly the shot it was earlier in the season, and his pace has looked slow since around the All-Star game. He's better than having anybody else out there, but he's not the Petey that we all know and love to bitch about.

Groin makes some sense. We'll find out after the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Should be their strength.  Time to park Zadorov in front of the net on the PP

I do like the idea in theory, someone correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t the Canucks experiment with putting Zadorov in front of the net at some point during the season and he didn’t do that well?. 

23 minutes ago, Darius said:

I think part of the problem is that the Canucks dont seem to score off of the rush like some of the other top teams do.  Either they dump it in or they cycle back to the D for a shot.  Most of  our D cant get a shot through.  Nashville knows all they have to do is get in the lanes.

Still think this series is totally winnable.  Getting a lead early would help!

Hopefully tonight they can shake the insecurity of losing Demko - if that played a part - and lean more into confidence and finding the extra gear in Nashville.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, CanuckDownUnder said:

Sticking a huge body in front to screen and bang in a rebound or two, a la Bertuzzi is worth a try when the finesse isn't working.

It would help if Pettersson actually had a shot on net as well?

SportsNet essentially said that Demko won't be back this series. 

The headlines are going to be either "Canucks best chance to go far in the playoffs in 10 years until Demko is out of the playoffs" OR "DeSmith steps in and leads the Canucks into the 2nd round"

Can we overcome losing our All star goalie? Can we get our PP going? Can we shoot smarter to get shots on the net.