[PGT] Nashville at Vancouver - Stanley Cup Playoffs Round 1 - Game 2

I love the Canucks but they always  seem to find a way to let you down they were amazing up until the All-Star break and then they just decided to ‘petey’ out just in time for the playoffs… Demko (our backbone) gets injured which is just typical and here we are going to the playoffs limping ie) Petey… 

2 out of our 4 best players…

either out of commission or complete ineffective….

oh Canucks why are you so good at letting us down…?

to be a Canuck fan is to suffer…

Edited by I.AM.THE.WALRUS
  • Huggy Bear 1

Petey at his current state should not be centering a line with Hoggy (hasn't done much so far) and Mik (guy that can't score atm).  You're just making it worse for Petey when he has linemates that aren't helping.  So you gotta either give him Boeser or garland/Dak.. or put him with Miller and Boeser.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, HKSR said:

The hockey gods have been laughing in our faces for decades.  Just when we thought we had strength at all the key positions, we lose our goaltender to injury.  It's a fucking joke now.  Fuck the hockey gods.  

We need a sacrafice, maybe more than one.   To appease them.   There are a few posters that only show up after a loss, that might work... or maybe we need to go really old school and pick a popular poster and axe them (Vintage wasn't enough!).   Any volunteers?   Brian Cox Hbo GIF by SuccessionHBO

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Game 2... 3 things stand out

Great 3rd period by Canucks despite result

Incredible amount of blocked shots and shot attempts by Canucks...

They will NOT miss as many chances in the next game.

There is a reason why Nashville was the hottest team going into the playoffs... this was never going to be easy... Hopefully Demko will be back sooner than later, but this was not on DeSmith at all... On to the next one. The boys will prevail....

Yep.    They know what they need to do to win.  Just keep plugging away.    

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Canuckleheads Fan said:

55 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:
That is for sure.     He's been MIA for the last two+ months and if this is the future with him then PA just got fleeced with that contract while Petty's laughing all the way to the bank.

I think we'll learn that he's been trying to play through a groin or lower back issue, something that affects his shot and his speed, but still allows him to take face-offs. He hesitates on the one-timer if it hurts, its not nearly the shot it was earlier in the season, and his pace has looked slow since around the All-Star game. He's better than having anybody else out there, but he's not the Petey that we all know and love to bitch about.

Why the benefit of the doubt? I don't see how an injured player is being played the most minutes on the most nights and also put on the penalty kill. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Well, in the end, tonight was ...

5GV2.gif

Ahhh to be a Dad.   You just know that kid made the game up, Dad was like "fuck this, don't want my kids breaking the camping bin"...you can see the commitment, holding on to the end of the shovel,  re-adjusting in mid air, and the willingness the brother has to help was pretty priceless too.     

Canucks need to slap for body parts.    Start the war of attrition. 

Edited by IBatch

19 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Why the benefit of the doubt? I don't see how an injured player is being played the most minutes on the most nights and also put on the penalty kill. 

Agree with  he's got something going on with his body that he's playing through.   @RU SERIOUS , at this point it's the only logical thing.    It might be pressure too (mental),  but do believe he's lost a little of his speed (or isn't using it), and his shot is not the same.  

Tochett said pre-game that they just want him to shoot the puck, shoot it, when he's got it ... but he's still passing.   Wrist or shoulder is my guess, and maybe something else on the lower body.    Guys play through minor injuries all the time.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, quattrob said:

Petey at his current state should not be centering a line with Hoggy (hasn't done much so far) and Mik (guy that can't score atm).  You're just making it worse for Petey when he has linemates that aren't helping.  So you gotta either give him Boeser or garland/Dak.. or put him with Miller and Boeser.  

Hogs >>  Then Goldobin, and look what Petey was doing that year as a rookie.   

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Because even hurt he's still better than anybody but JT. If the drop-off after the All-Star game were less obvious, then I would say maybe not an injury, but how do you explain the way he took over games in the first half and now has no confidence in his shot, nor any burst. I doubt he has less interest now than he did two months ago, it has to be physical. You can see the frustration, it seems like he's not physically right. He played a few years ago with a badly injured wrist, which stole his shot, but he was not taking faceoffs, so he played through it. This seems like a leg or lower back problem, it's robbed him of his shot and any speed, but he's still taking and winning face-offs. If Lindholm wasn't injured, I suspect Petey might have sat out a couple of weeks before the playoffs to heal. 

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Agree with  he's got something going on with his body that he's playing through.   @RU SERIOUS , at this point it's the only logical thing.    It might be pressure too (mental),  but do believe he's lost a little of his speed (or isn't using it), and his shot is not the same.  

Tochett said pre-game that they just want him to shoot the puck, shoot it, when he's got it ... but he's still passing.   Wrist or shoulder is my guess, and maybe something else on the lower body.    Guys play through minor injuries all the time.   

I actually think he played far better in the 3rd...

Maybe him having the pressure of being behind the 8-ball helped him... 

All the carry pom about having to be the best in the world for his salary may also be part of it. He tries to be too cute at times...

I definitely think part of it is between the ears...

If everything else fails, maybe its time to put him back on Millers wing instead... the Lotto line looked good, when reunited, and the thirst line, could easily cover the 2nd line duties.

Getting Hogs further down the line up, may actually help him as well....

• Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, Canuckleheads Fan said:

39 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Because even hurt he's still better than anybody but JT. If the drop-off after the All-Star game were less obvious, then I would say maybe not an injury, but how do you explain the way he took over games in the first half and now has no confidence in his shot, nor any burst. I doubt he has less interest now than he did two months ago, it has to be physical. You can see the frustration, it seems like he's not physically right. He played a few years ago with a badly injured wrist, which stole his shot, but he was not taking faceoffs, so he played through it. This seems like a leg or lower back problem, it's robbed him of his shot and any speed, but he's still taking and winning face-offs. If Lindholm wasn't injured, I suspect Petey might have sat out a couple of weeks before the playoffs to heal. 

If he was injured, why did he play in Winnipeg?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

48 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Hogs >>  Then Goldobin, and look what Petey was doing that year as a rookie.   

Since his rookie year, the opposition has zoomed in on Petey.... Nothing will be easy from here on in...

To everyone who find it amazing or surprising that we are having a hard time, its the f'ing play offs... This is why teams rarely start from scratch and win it instantly... Welcome to the real world.

All the talk about who would be the best opponent in the play offs were nonsense... you play, who you get... they all have a reason why they are amongst the last 16... and any team coming flying into the play offs with a record like Preds did, have to be paid attention to...

I'm sure we'll go through. The team knows it laid an egg, just like Nashville probably felt after game 1. 

We just need to start on the front foot and pound them like we did in the 3rd period, and we'll be fine...they won't be able to sustain that pressure over 6-7 games.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I actually think he played far better in the 3rd...

Maybe him having the pressure of being behind the 8-ball helped him... 

All the carry pom about having to be the best in the world for his salary may also be part of it. He tries to be too cute at times...

I definitely think part of it is between the ears...

If everything else fails, maybe its time to put him back on Millers wing instead... the Lotto line looked good, when reunited, and the thirst line, could easily cover the 2nd line duties.

Getting Hogs further down the line up, may actually help him as well....

Was thinking they might load up one line too.   Don't think it will be Game 3 though, maybe if EP scored on that wide open net, we'd of had a different result last night.   Hogs has scored some beauties this year too.    We have the offense.    

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Since his rookie year, the opposition has zoomed in on Petey.... Nothing will be easy from here on in...

To everyone who find it amazing or surprising that we are having a hard time, its the f'ing play offs... This is why teams rarely start from scratch and win it instantly... Welcome to the real world.

All the talk about who would be the best opponent in the play offs were nonsense... you play, who you get... they all have a reason why they are amongst the last 16... and any team coming flying into the play offs with a record like Preds did, have to be paid attention to...

I'm sure we'll go through. The team knows it laid an egg, just like Nashville probably felt after game 1. 

We just need to start on the front foot and pound them like we did in the 3rd period, and we'll be fine...they won't be able to sustain that pressure over 6-7 games.

You bet.   One of our competitive advantages, is how we play.   Slap pucks and make them pay.   War of attrition has already started.   Nothing wrong with a long series.   Split in NSH would be fine.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, IBatch said:

Was thinking they might load up one line too.   Don't think it will be Game 3 though, maybe if EP scored on that wide open net, we'd of had a different result last night.   Hogs has scored some beauties this year too.    We have the offense.    

So absolutely we have... Petey missing an open net was unfortunate as was Suter missing two big chances... and Dakota... and... 

If we hadn't been creating chances, I'd be concerned, but we created enough to win a game or two... 

Credit where credit is due... Nashville fought for their lives with blocks and stick etc... 

Brunettes team reminds me of the boring Wild teams we used to struggle with... only one way to kill them is to keep pounding them with shots on goal and get rebounds.... 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

You bet.   One of our competitive advantages, is how we play.   Slap pucks and make them pay.   War of attrition has already started.   Nothing wrong with a long series.   Split in NSH would be fine.  

100%..... Just get one win there and get back to home ice...

People also tend to forget, these players are learning on the job... that's the problem of not being in the playoffs for o long.

6 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Tough game.  So many things went wrong from the start.   

No Demko, no Meyers.  

First shot deflected and went in. 

Nux were the dominant team for the most part.   Need to find a way to get shots through.

It's going to be long series.  Need to win the next game.  

Need to win 1 of the next 2.... get home 2-2 would be fine...

6 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Not doing us any favours by spinning our wheels on the powerplay, we had plenty of opportunities but we ain't gonna get four powerplays every night 

PK was good on the other hand, but Nashville's powerplay didn't look all that dangerous 

That can only be to our advantage.... 

• Cheers 1

Flogging a dead horse type deal, but if we figure out our PP, we will be dominant. I mean we are a great team and are showing it. Playoff inexperience? Perhaps that comes into play. There does seem to be some evidence of nerves and such. They did seem to be holding their sticks too tight and somewhat off in game 2. 

To me, it definitely wasn't all on Smitty in goal. We just gotta bury some that's all. Puck luck wasn't with us last night. Aroo........Onto Nashville. 

Go Canucks Go!!!!!:towel::towel::towel::towel::towel::towel::towel:

:towel::towel::towel::towel::towel::towel::towel::towel:

• Cheers 1

I know people will be wringing their hands, pronouncing us dead and likely attack EP non stop but we were the better team.

I am not worried about our play other than the PP. I am worried about losing Demko but the process was there last night, the effort was there, we hit a hot goalie and had some bad luck. 
Same effort next game and we probably win.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, viking mama said:

^That was huge. 

I blame the arena fans for un-nerving a second-string goalie, who’s just trying to settle in, with a very ill-timed & distracting chant. 

He’s no ordinary player, he’s your goalie. Focus is everything! If you do that to the opposition’s goalie, you’re often considered a trolling jerk. 

Why, people?

I hope the starter of that thing learned something very valuable for the future, tonight.  

Yeah. That was incredibly stupid. As soon as I heard that, I thought, great he’s distracted, nerves ramping up even more, while play is in our end, watch the first shot go in and…bam. Ugh

• Sad 1