[PGT] Nashville at Vancouver - Stanley Cup Playoffs Round 1 - Game 2

14 minutes ago, boziffous said:

I don't think DeSmith was bad, but he wasn't good either. First Nashville goal was flukey. Forsberg goal was a great play by him. 3rd Nashville goal was a result of a bad turnover by Petey. Nashville did a great job of getting in the shooting lanes. They had something like 32 blocked shots. Canucks shot a ton of pucks wide, many probably because they were trying to get a shot around a Nashville player in the shooting lane. Canucks created a lot of good scoring chances and with some better finishing or puck luck this could have easily been a different game.

21 minutes ago, Wing said:

I think the only goal that I would blame DeSmith is the third goal when he gave up a big rebound off the chest. The first goal was a deflection and the second was poor coverage by the skaters in front of him, letting Forsberg walk in all alone. Overall I don't think he played poorly. Nashville didn't get many chances outside of those 3 goals. This loss wasn't on DeSmith.

We didn't have any puck luck, but we also missed at least 3 glorious chances including a wide open net that Petey missed on the pp. If any of those went in it's a very different game. We dominated most of the game possession wise in the third but couldn't buy one. Nashville also blocked a lot of shots so gotta give them credit, but I'm sure with some adjustment we can overcome next game. 

The pp is still the same. We did try to shoot more on the 3rd/4th pp but Nashville blocked everything. I'm getting tired of complaining about our pp so not gonna say much. Basically it's still ineffective and they can't let that continue if they want any chance of making it deep.

thx good to know a bounce here and there game could be different. but hopefully desmith is able to make 1 or 2 great saves here or there and give the team a better chance to win.

Some things the team needs to work on.

Quicker passes.

More movement, we have to get Nashville players to move to block shots and try and get them out of position.

Shoot high, and shoot from everywhere. Just pepper Saros with shots.

Keep the Preds to the outside and keep cutting down the shots. In the 3rd we cut Nashville down to what? 4-6 shots?

Stay disciplined.

Despite the score there was lots of positives.

Now back to our regularly scheduled fans jumping off the bandwagon.

• Like 2

Myers should return next game, so that will help with defense. Podkolzin should sub in for Di Guiseppe, and maybe Aman in for the offensive blackhole that is Mikeyev. I think Silovs should be given a game if Demko is out for a week or more.

Pettersson? I got nothing there. 

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i didn't watch the game much last night outside of the first nashville goal coz im sick.. but was desmith bad last night? or the other 2 goals not his fault or were they savable?? coz i saw the highlights and i saw 3 goals on 13 shots and they only had like 30ish shot attempts total in the game?? and as for the canucks.. i see that they have 80+ shot attempts.. but only like 20 shots on goal?? were nashville flying their bodies around blocking shots?? or we are just not moving the puck around opening up lanes and just throwing pucks for the sake of throwing pucks? i think it's insane that 80+ shot attempts and less than 25% of them reaches the net?

Desmith was pretty bad, but loss isn’t on him, was still a winnable game, but none of the forwards really showed up. Miller was noticeable and laid some big hits, but some terrible passes and puck mishandling in O-zone. Petey missed 2 wide open net chances and had a brutal giveaway in our zone that led to a goal. I’m not one to harp on Petey, but that was possibly the worst game I’ve ever seen from him and would lay the blame on him for this loss more than Desmith. Even Garland wasn’t very noticeable out there tonight. Boeser also missed a good chance in front and a couple posts. Probably should have won that one, but oh well that’s hockey. Review, learn, put it in the past and win the next one in Nashville.

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Myers should return next game, so that will help with defense. Podkolzin should sub in for Di Guiseppe, and maybe Aman in for the offensive blackhole that is Mikeyev. I think Silovs should be given a game if Demko is out for a week or more.

Petterson is a mystery.  He never struck me as someone to lose confidence. 

Just now, arsenalian said:

Desmith was pretty bad, but loss isn’t on him, was still a winnable game, but none of the forwards really showed up. Miller was noticeable and laid some big hits, but some terrible passes and puck mishandling in O-zone. Petey missed 2 wide open net chances and had a brutal giveaway in our zone that led to a goal. I’m not one to harp on Petey, but that was possibly the worst game I’ve ever seen from him and would lay the blame on him for this loss more than Desmith. Even Garland wasn’t very noticeable out there tonight. Boeser also missed a good chance in front and a couple posts. Probably should have won that one, but oh well that’s hockey. Review, learn, put it in the past and win the next one in Nashville.

DeSmith was DeSuck. He gets one more game to show. 

I felt the team was trying to play TOO quick. What I mean by that is that although they were only marginally quick out there, they made rushed plays which ended up in turnovers and missed changes.

I don't actually think they need to change much though. The energy was there. The intensity was there. The shots were there. Just make sure we park a dude in front of Saros at all times, and ffs - keep moving while on the PP! Everyone should be constantly shifting or they are easy to cover.

I've been watching since 1964 and that was some of the ugliest  hockey I've ever seen.  Even the worst of the dead puck era wasn't quite that bad.  One team eating rubber and the other blindly feeding it to them.  Yeah,  I want to pay to see that (not). 

On our side there is plenty of blame to go around, starting with Pettersson losing his matchup badly against their third line and missing an open net.  But when our offense fails to adjust that catastrophically, it's a coaching issue.  You can't generate from the point against a meat wall defense.  The point of attack has to be below the goal line and force their D to turn around.  Oh yeah, and people do need to get inside and execute quicker.  When our offense drys up, it's because we're playing stupid.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I don’t get all the people acting like the series is over already, the series is tied they are not even down let alone on the verge of elimination. People acting like the Canucks have no chance when the series is tied and teams have won with a goaltending disadvantage many MANY times in NHL history, yes it’s a disadvantage but it’s not the be all end all. It’s not just this forum either, people all over the hockey world are acting like it’s over already for the Canucks which is just mind boggling. 

• Cheers 1

This series was always going to be 6 or 7 games. These teams match up very well. Don't think last night's loss was on DeSmith.  Win as a team, lose as a team.

I would lay money on a split in Nashville as well.  The most important thing for the Canucks is to have each other's backs. That's what they didn't do as well last night.

The plays became erratic and fell apart before they came to fruition. Some of the higher paid players had an off night.  Tocchet could have moved the players

around to get a different look. He didn't do that until, in reality, it was too late. 

To put it bluntly, we ended up just playing run and gun and the Preds feasted on the mistakes 

I don't blame Desmith on that first goal, the others.........maybe just a bit. ( that in tight roof job was just a great shot, taller goalie? maybe?)

Petey definitely should have nailed that open net at the end of the first.

Is it time to break out the old Sherwood 2x4 sticks? even for a shift of two... they can't score if they can't skate properly + make them FEEL those little cross-checks.

If I was a D-man, I'd have one of those, even if they were only used for the PK. 

84 shot attempts...hit the net already   Saros had a nap during the game he had so little ACTUAL shots. 

Do we contemplate using Silovs on Friday? this seems like a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. No matter WHO you start, a win and you're a genius, a loss and you're the goat. 

I might have to take an extra blood pressure pill on Friday. 

I almost forgot.... what's with all the missed passes? it's like they forgot how to make a simple pass..

Edited by grumpyone

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If I was Petey, I'd spend the next 2 days constantly shooting pucks......at the net.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

That was probably the worst game I've seen from Petey. The good news is that it can only get better from here. DeSmith wasn't bad but he wasn't good either, that Forsberg goal probably should have been stopped but it was a nice goal on his part.

I think Tocc has to switch up the lines. We aren't winning games scoring 1 goal, possession dominance aside.

Boeser - Miller - Hoglander

Joshua - Blueger - Garland

Petey - Lindholm - Podz

Miheyev - Suter - Lafferty

I'd also be tempted to try Joshua - Petey - Hogs/Garland

I think Silovs needs a game, maybe game 4 or 5, but if we can play like we did last night we should be able to win the series.

4 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

18,000 people chanting at Casey seconds into the game and before he’s even touched the puck was a really stupid thing to do. As if he wasn’t already under enough of a spotlight.

Yeah, let's blame the loss on the crowd.....

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

18,000 people chanting at Casey seconds into the game and before he’s even touched the puck was a really stupid thing to do. As if he wasn’t already under enough of a spotlight.

I thought the same but it also showed DeSmith that he had their support.  I don't know how much that influenced the first goal though.

11.6 mill gets you 

0 shots 

4 F/O wins out of 7 

his stats through two games are trash

0 -3 0 2 1 0 0 3 1 1 22 20:41 6:25 1:00 13:16 4 3 57.1

Just not good enough and he hasn’t been since he signed 

he shouldn’t be on the power play Lindy should take his spot or 

This team hasn’t been able to win with average goaltending Desmith is average on his best days. 

• Cheers 1