[PGT] Nashville at Vancouver - Stanley Cup Playoffs Round 1 - Game 2

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He's just so average. 

He was worse than average last night. Hogs was average. Petey was a detriment to the team last night and I don't say that lightly. We can only hope this is bottom and he bounces from here. I think he can.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Honestly I watched the whole game again and I'm sure there's a stat somewhere. I honestly feel like Nashville barely even touched the puck. Even when they did they barely did anything with it. 

A lot of our 5 on 5 time felt like a power play. We hemmed them in their zone for so much of the game. All of our lines did. I think a loss is actually good for this team. Winning is easy. Losing is really really hard. Especially for a team that knows what losing is all about (talking about last year) and I don't think any of them want that. Now that they have that loss under their belt I really expect the nerves to calm down. 

And they won't have 18,000 people cheering for them next game. It'll let them relax a bit hopefully. I also don't blame the loss on desmith. He let out one really bad rebound. Ok sure that's on him. 

Saros last game also let a really weak shot in on Lindholm game 1. I don't see fans calling for his head either. Is desmith better than Saros or Demko? Absolutely not. But he's what we've got right now and win or lose we do both as a team. Canucks easily could've ran away with that game 7-3. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, I.Am.Ironman said:

He was worse than average last night. Hogs was average. Petey was a detriment to the team last night and I don't say that lightly. We can only hope this is bottom and he bounces from here. I think he can.

He was horrific. He's going to have to figure things out, because as you said, he's been detrimental. 

7 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

At least he took some ownership of his bad game! That's a start but only the first step, this team needs his potential bad! 

1 hour ago, Wing said:

I think the only goal that I would blame DeSmith is the third goal when he gave up a big rebound off the chest. The first goal was a deflection and the second was poor coverage by the skaters in front of him, letting Forsberg walk in all alone. Overall I don't think he played poorly. Nashville didn't get many chances outside of those 3 goals. This loss wasn't on DeSmith.

We didn't have any puck luck, but we also missed at least 3 glorious chances including a wide open net that Petey missed on the pp. If any of those went in it's a very different game. We dominated most of the game possession wise in the third but couldn't buy one. Nashville also blocked a lot of shots so gotta give them credit, but I'm sure with some adjustment we can overcome next game. 

The pp is still the same. We did try to shoot more on the 3rd/4th pp but Nashville blocked everything. I'm getting tired of complaining about our pp so not gonna say much. Basically it's still ineffective and they can't let that continue if they want any chance of making it deep.

They can’t let it continue??? We have been saying that for what three months now. It is and has been continuing. It’s the personnel and their reluctance to get garbage goals on the pp. They pass it around basically killing their own pp and for what. One shot. One shot, that’s it. All that passing amounts to one shot and we constantly are hearing they better get it together. I think they just struggle between the ears. If they aren’t willing to listen, crash the net, and shoot then it likely won’t change by now. It’s a big issue and has been for a long while. We have gotten enough of a sample size to know it’s not just a blip. It might be that they just don’t have the right players together or players that understand urgency and how important a pp is and can control a game. They always look like they are getting a 2 min break from their hard work 5 on 5. The pp is just a break. They don’t play near as hard or desperate on their pp as they do 5 on 5. It’s very frustrating. 

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

Petey is trying and he knows he has to perform. When his knees gave out cause he missed the literal empty net I really felt for the guy. He's trying but he's just trying too hard. 

I feel from interviews and the way he carries himself he's not a loud individual the way Miller is. He's probably in his own head overthinking everything. I really hope Tocchet sits down with him for like 2 hours and just makes him talk about what's going on. Even ask how he's doing. You can tell the coaches told him to shoot more and stop forcing passes but damn. 

Please support the guy even if he's a detriment right now. You can tell from his body language he really is trying. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Rush said:

All that data speak. I like it but I don't understand what any of those acronyms stand for.

7 hours ago, CanuckDownUnder said:

Does this come with a decoder ring?

Well here are some pictures with some some pretty colours for both of you and everyone else to simplify….seeing how the definition at the beginning didnt help

IMG_3998.png.c0e3da07ccf41d80d67f6c3804bc004b.pngIMG_3999.png.7eabd71434127cf79ee7f33977b429fa.png

Edited by AnthonyG
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Zadorov needs to go in front of the Nashville net and push the guys over blocking shots!

canucks urgency and will was there. Blocked shots and sarros was the difference maker. 

canucks had 10 good scoring chances that some how stayed out 

4 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Well here are some pictures with some some pretty colours for both of you, seeing how the definition at the beginning didnt help

IMG_3998.png.c0e3da07ccf41d80d67f6c3804bc004b.pngIMG_3999.png.7eabd71434127cf79ee7f33977b429fa.png

Nashville put on a shot blocking clinic, they played desperate. I don't think they can do that for 5 more games.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

0G,0A,0P,-3.

Yeah he was terrible, he had 2 great pass to him and double clutched and took the shot way to late and Nash makes an easy block. Right then I said to my boys man old Petey would one time those. Then he gets that open net I was just saying I think Petey was going score a big goal tonight, and he bloody misses the net hitting the side there. I've never seen him have such a noticeable bad game ever. He's usually just not noticable on bad games. He knows it though if he doesn't show up for the series and help the Canucks when they need their stars the most, I really don't know if we made the right choice giving him 8yrs and almost 12 m. He's been consistently scoring all year but kinda plays well one game then disappears. If he disappears here now when they need offense and that's his jam! I don't think he's the right guy for us going forward. He was soft as hell last night too. No fight in him. I wanna see him fired up next game. Regain some respect for himself and fight back after the whistle don't just take it. Look at Hoggy and Garland they don't take penalties after the whistle but they demand respect and stand uk for themselves and each other! 

• Vintage 2

8 hours ago, Darius said:

Looks like a lot of team playoff records here....

Accuracy

Accuracy

Accuracy

Hit the net.

The Preds game reminded me a lot of TB's swarming shot blocking defence the last couple years. They need to move these guys East West and get the shot through the millisecond opportunity presents. Players need to get on the rebounds. It's a war!

• Cheers 1

Pettersson can't hit the side of a barn. Real good regular season player who demanded to be the highest paid Swedish payer in the league, choking big time in the playoffs when it matters.  Trade him to TOR, he'll fit right in.

I was expecting a lot more from Miller too. Thought he'd lead this team like a force.  Maybe they're nervous. They better figure it out quick, otherwise it'll be over before they know it. I'm not going to blame DeSmith, I'm blaming the lack of scoring from the so-called stars. 

I guess we'll see how they do in hostile territory on Friday.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

The team plays different w/ DeSmith in net, a touch nervous if you ask me. 

Didn't they tie/set Canuck records for shot attempts and hits?

I swear I saw some stats like that?

That doesnt seem nervous to me.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

The Preds basically said we'll let you have the puck but we're just not going to let anything through and reach our goalie.

Well everyone knows how bad our pp is right now and it doesn’t scare anyone. Teams are basically saying sure we will let you kill  our penalty for us. Pass it around on the outside, we will give that to you all day long. It’s just not a threat. When you feel like they should start declining powerplays you know there is a huge issue. 

• Like 2

This game reminded me of some of our games vs Vegas in the bubble.  Vegas would dominate possession only to have guys like Tanev block half the shots and "Bubble" Demko stand on his head.  I always had a feeling of impending doom that sooner or later they would break through.

The preds look impotent in the O zone.  They really posed no threat - certainly not the wave after wave of offence we would see from teams like Dallas or Colorado.

But i dont want to sugar coat this - DeSmith scares me.  He has gone downhill fast int he last half of the season.  51st in save percentage in the list of goalies that have played more than 20 games.  Not good - and i think it affects the team in between their ears when he is in net.  Cant take the same risks, dont have that security blanket behind you. Having that first shot go in like that is a really hard pill to swallow in the playoffs.

If the offence can keep up the pressure and convert at a higher rate this series can certainly be taken.  Hell, even if the pp wakes up this series can be taken.   Move hughes to a wall as a distributor, bring in Hronek on the point and move brock to Pettersson's spot on the wall where he was successful with the Sedins in his rookie year.  Or do something different, anything...

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Didn't they tie/set Canuck records for shot attempts and hits?

I swear I saw some stats like that?

That doesnt seem nervous to me.

47 hits, plus however many blocked shots. Plus the game 1 beating. NSH will be hurting soon, Burke talks a lot about the accumulation of physical play throughout a series grinding teams down, from where I stand we are the team dishing out most of the pain. 

Edited by Bob Long
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

17 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

The team plays different w/ DeSmith in net, a touch nervous if you ask me. 

Well I think that it’s because his rebound control isn’t great and he loses his net often. They have to be more aware out there because he causes way more issues out there whereas Demko is such a calming brick wall back there. 

13 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I get the criticism, sure. Whatever.

But damn it, this team is not "done" as some here proclaim. We've heard it before/earlier in the year yet....they're still here. So no, pace yourselves.

There are some adjustments to be made, sure. But there's nothing to think they won't be.

Love this team and they outplayed those bas-turds last night.  Blocking shots was their MO and...yes, it worked. They had 16 shots so it's not like they outplayed us - they didn't. One thing I did notice was that they have a guy in the slot ready to shot and when it gets to him, BANG/GONE. It's obviously a set play that they were effective at. Be more ready for that and don't let it happen. That's my "never played before" limited observation. 

We may lose the series. WE MAY NOT...that's the beauty of it all. No one can "predict" based on one game. And, if that were the case....predict based on game one not just game two. Those who really believe it's over wouldn't be here watching between cracks in their fingers.

GO CANUCKS GO

The team is not close to being done. Laughable.

Canucks were not treated nicely by the hockey gods. The carried the play by a huge margin. Sure we were all hoping to leave Van up 2 games. Being positive losing last night might pull the team closer.

DeCasey: didn't lose the game. 

Petey: that gapping net will have given him nightmares last night. People talk about a lingering injury but I don't see anything on the ice that indicates such. It looks like confidence to me. 

Net front: My biggest disappointment in the game was lack of a direct physical challenge infront of the Pred's net. Ya, old school, but I thought they should have crashed the net and bumped the tender. The Preds did that a couple of times against Demko whether intentional or not. Milling about after the whistle, grabbing a jersey and talking isn't enough. Hitting the tender or scrapping is what it will take. Canucks have to show the Preds that they want this series more than they do.