[PGT] Nashville at Vancouver - Stanley Cup Playoffs Round 1 - Game 2

Just now, Coconuts said:

Week to week ie he’s basically done unless the Canucks Miraculously make it to the WCF and even that’s a stretch. Oh well is what it is. 

• Wiener 1

Did any coach every take control of the power play?

Way too much passing, trying for 'bonus points' on pretty plays.

Demko out

Meyers out

Petey mostly missing.

Too much to overcome.

• Wiener 1

Preds fan here. People are saying that this was the Preds game plan, but if it was, it was one of pure desperation. We don't ever play this way, the Canucks are just bigger, faster, more skilled, etc. We usually win the grind on the boards, and we push that grind into the O zone, turning it into more advantages ,and keeping our top line scoring in the mix. We're just outclassed in this series, you can tell how hard it is for us to keep up. I guess give the coach some credit, if he's found a way to win then I'm fine that it's ugly

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Pickly said:

Week to week ie he’s basically done unless the Canucks Miraculously make it to the WCF and even that’s a stretch. Oh well is what it is. 

Two weeks is optimistic, at the very least he may be questionable for the second round 

Hopefully they prioritize long-term health over getting him in net, we'll need him healthy next season and we'll want him to have as healthy an offseason as possible 

• Vintage 1
  • Wiener 1

22 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yup, and last I checked there are several series that are tied 1-1. 

Canucks outplayed Nashville last night by quite a bit.  Out shot, out hit, out chanced, etc.  Did everything right other than having the luck.  If even 1/2 of the high quality chances went in, the Canucks would have won.  Unfortunately, I'd say ZERO out of the high quality chances went in... that's some damn bad puck luck IMO.

I'm enjoying watching us dominate the physical side. I trust Burkie when it comes to this stuff.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

Preds fan here. People are saying that this was the Preds game plan, but if it was, it was one of pure desperation. We don't ever play this way, the Canucks are just bigger, faster, more skilled, etc. We usually win the grind on the boards, and we push that grind into the O zone, turning it into more advantages ,and keeping our top line scoring in the mix. We're just outclassed in this series, you can tell how hard it is for us to keep up. I guess give the coach some credit, if he's found a way to win then I'm fine that it's ugly

Pretty accurate assessment.  If Demko was still in this series, I'd have zero doubt that the Canucks would move on.  However, with Demko out of the series (playoffs?), this series could go the distance.  If NAS makes it out, they'll probably get swept the 2nd round cuz they'd be so badly injured and beaten up from the Canucks.

• Desmenko 1
  • Wiener 1

1 hour ago, Wing said:

I think the only goal that I would blame DeSmith is the third goal when he gave up a big rebound off the chest. The first goal was a deflection and the second was poor coverage by the skaters in front of him, letting Forsberg walk in all alone. Overall I don't think he played poorly. Nashville didn't get many chances outside of those 3 goals. This loss wasn't on DeSmith.

We didn't have any puck luck, but we also missed at least 3 glorious chances including a wide open net that Petey missed on the pp. If any of those went in it's a very different game. We dominated most of the game possession wise in the third but couldn't buy one. Nashville also blocked a lot of shots so gotta give them credit, but I'm sure with some adjustment we can overcome next game. 

The pp is still the same. We did try to shoot more on the 3rd/4th pp but Nashville blocked everything. I'm getting tired of complaining about our pp so not gonna say much. Basically it's still ineffective and they can't let that continue if they want any chance of making it deep.

A lot of people panicking need to relax. We have a very good team and there is lots of hockey left. 

The team will be 110% focused on getting the series lead back. It's tied 1-1 .... we have the ability to do do this. DeSmith wasn't bad, he was adequate. 

Cmon boys. Let's fricking go!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Anyone get the stats for hits during the game?  Seemed like there were a lot fewer Canuck initiated hits throughout this game as compared to Game 1.

Agree with most posters that Petey, Miller and Hronek had terrible games.  We should try putting the big Russian in front of the net on the powerplay.  It would take two defenders to move him out of the way.  Worth a try??

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, BPA said:

EP needs help.  Go with the following lines…

Joshua EP Garland

Hogz Miller Boeser

Podz Lindholm Mik

Laff Blueger Suter

Switching up linemates won't make much of a difference. He needs to get out of his own way and get himself going. 

10 minutes ago, Comox Blaster said:

Anyone get the stats for hits during the game?  Seemed like there were a lot fewer Canuck initiated hits throughout this game as compared to Game 1.

Agree with most posters that Petey, Miller and Hronek had terrible games.  We should try putting the big Russian in front of the net on the powerplay.  It would take two defenders to move him out of the way.  Worth a try??

We had 47 hits last night.

Just keep pounding the shots, once a few guys go down, things will open up... but hats off to the preds for that shot blocking effort. More shots... more pain...

People are over blowing the petterson issue. He is obviously squeezing the stick a bit, like no other player has ever done that... Miller had a couple brutal passes as well.

Never mind the fact that petterson is playing with wingers that are not world class in the effectiveness category... mik has been hands of stone all year and as much as he tries hoglander is not big enough to win puck battles.

Biggest issue is we have to play good defense as well, with demko out, we can't leave guys uncovered in the slot.

That and I find a common problem with poor passing all over the ice and I have felt that is more to do with the lines changing so much over the last month or so... imho

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Hopefully Myers is good to go. He was missed. For all the harping I've done on the guy, he was stellar in the first game of the series. Physical as fuck, methodical in his passing, and ultrafocused. Juulsen, while awesome, wasn't able to replace what Myers brings. I'm good for re-signing him and Zadorov before anyone else. 

• chaos 2

11 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

Do you blame our goaltending ? 

Partially but on only on 1 of the four goals. The rest of the defeat goes on the team especially EP40 with that give away and his very sketchy play most but not all of the night and the teams inability to work through the Preds shot blocking tactics which are very obvious & effective against the canucks outside perimiter style of play.   

The team will need to drive to the net more and make more of their shots hit the net as many went wide all night as usual due to their High Flex uncontrollable sticks.  i would strongly suggest the put a big body in front of the net too on PP1 like Big Z or Dakota.

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Hopefully Myers is good to go. He was missed. For all the harping I've done on the guy, he was stellar in the first game of the series. Physical as fuck, methodical in his passing, and ultrafocused. Juulsen, while awesome, wasn't able to replace what Myers brings. I'm good for re-signing him and Zadorov before anyone else. 

Nice to see someone else gets it, he adds more than people often like to admit

• Cheers 2

31 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

Man, People sound like we lost the series. Jeez!

Some people here were ready to write us off after the Coyotes game. Lol. We thoroughly outplayed Nashville. They got a lucky bounce, and we had two crucial shots off the post and Petey fumbled an open net. Otherwise we take this game pretty easily. I think we are overreacting a little to a game where we held them to 16 shots, would have been less if not for some bad penalties late. Just keep playing the right way and we'll win. It's clear they can't hang with us.

Edited by JeremyCuddles
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

Nice to see someone else gets it, he adds more than people often like to admit

He's had his gaffe filled games that leave one dumbfounded, but he rose to the occasion in game 1 and played a solid game. The defense has been solid for the most part, with Hronek being the weakest link on the blueline. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, canuck73 said:

Just keep pounding the shots, once a few guys go down, things will open up... but hats off to the preds for that shot blocking effort. More shots... more pain...

People are over blowing the petterson issue. He is obviously squeezing the stick a bit, like no other player has ever done that... Miller had a couple brutal passes as well.

Never mind the fact that petterson is playing with wingers that are not world class in the effectiveness category... mik has been hands of stone all year and as much as he tries hoglander is not big enough to win puck battles.

Biggest issue is we have to play good defense as well, with demko out, we can't leave guys uncovered in the slot.

That and I find a common problem with poor passing all over the ice and I have felt that is more to do with the lines changing so much over the last month or so... imho

Yep the passing was really off the mark at times too.

I think being on the road should settle them down a bit too. 

I really don't think last change is going to give Nashville a big advantage, nor their annoying crowd.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Not doing us any favours by spinning our wheels on the powerplay, we had plenty of opportunities but we ain't gonna get four powerplays every night 

PK was good on the other hand, but Nashville's powerplay didn't look all that dangerous 

Or passing up shot opportunities from Hronek but continuing to keep passing to the far side goal line for high percentage onetimers ffs.

Love Hughes, he gets the puck through but there are better shooters who are not getting in position or taking the shots. WAY too much thinking.

I assume being on the road is going to help them simplify things and cut the pretty crap.