[PGT] Nashville at Vancouver - Stanley Cup Playoffs Round 1 - Game 2

15 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Hopefully Myers is good to go. He was missed. For all the harping I've done on the guy, he was stellar in the first game of the series. Physical as fuck, methodical in his passing, and ultrafocused. Juulsen, while awesome, wasn't able to replace what Myers brings. I'm good for re-signing him and Zadorov before anyone else. 

Juulsen made a couple of mistakes that cost us last game. You see more and more why coaches like to play veterans instead of youngsters who are prone to mistakes like Juulsen/Podkolzin. 

4 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

No shit hey. You're in the playoffs for the first time in 10 years. Tied 1-1 after a 109 point season you spineless waste of skin. 

You're not even going to cheer on your team because we have a backup goalie in. Brain deads idiots.

Can't blame him for not wanting to spend $700 to watch the Canucks poop the bed, and they did. I feel bad for the fans that had to shell out crazy money to watch that. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Juulsen made a couple of mistakes that cost us last game. You see more and more why coaches like to play veterans instead of youngsters who are prone to mistakes like Juulsen/Podkolzin. 

How are you supposed to get experience if no one gives you a chance? Podz would fared as well has PDG, or Mik.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Experience. For sure. I do think that Podkolzin could draw in for PDG or Mikeyev and the team would be better off. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Can't blame him for not wanting to spend $700 to watch the Canucks poop the bed, and they did. I feel bad for the fans that had to shell out crazy money to watch that. 

Agreed. Likening someone making a choice to sell their ticket to being a spineless waste of skin is sad. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Captain Hughes said:

Teams can't win every game. Poop the bed? Their time of possession was double preds. Shot attempts tripled them. Out hit them. Predator commentator on radio said pred fans are nervous after that win cause they are getting dominated. That game had bad bounces, bad plays from juulsen and peteys giveaway. I would of loved to be at that game. 

Weren't you playing?.....

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, arsenalian said:

Does ESPN+ not have a feature where you can start the game from the beginning after it’s started? If not that really sucks. On Sportsnet+ when you click on the feed you have the option to watch live or re-start from beginning, which has been a lifesaver for me. Especially Friday with the 4:30p start will be on media blackout until about 8 when I can settle in and watch.

Espn+ doesn't show playoff games, unless you already have access to the station broadcasting in your cable package. Which is basically pointless.

Works great during the regular season, aside from some small hassles when we play most Cdn teams. But at playoff time, I'm at the mercy of ESPN channels. At least when NBC had the contract (barf!) they would use other readily accessible stations when OT messed things up.

They had plenty of good chances, just need to sharpen up, given that they can play much better offensively. They lost their offensive mojo a bit in the second half, coasted along through the second half of the season, the pressure and adversity will hopefully get them going again. However, there are limits to how far they can go without Demko. 

53 minutes ago, Comox Blaster said:

Anyone get the stats for hits during the game?  Seemed like there were a lot fewer Canuck initiated hits throughout this game as compared to Game 1.

Agree with most posters that Petey, Miller and Hronek had terrible games.  We should try putting the big Russian in front of the net on the powerplay.  It would take two defenders to move him out of the way.  Worth a try??

Feels like a lot of people are giving Hughes a pass.  He wiped out uncontested which lead to the first goal against.  He wasn't nearly as sharp as usual on his passes.  In general it seemed like thr group was tight which probably had alot to do with the goalie change.  Good chance to learn from it and play better on Friday.

Just now, RupertKBD said:

My thoughts as well....... I thought I would be an outlier, coming into this thread and saying I don't think the Canucks should change a thing....

It was a weird start. Guys who don't make mistakes were making mistakes, like Huggy first fumbling a puck in the O-zone that he never fumbles, and then blowing a tire in the D-zone....then Garly make the mistake of leaving by far the most dangerous Pred alone to take away the pass and it results in a flukey goal within the first minute...

It's hard to blame Soucy on the 2nd goal, because as a defenseman, you're taught to take away the pass on a 2 on 1 and leave the shooter to the goalie, but again, that's Filip Forsberg..... I think if CS had a do-over, he'd front FF and try and get a stick in the way of a pass....

All night, it seemed like chance after chance for the Canucks went wide, off the post, or got blocked. Meanwhile, it seemed like every decent chance the Preds had ended up in the back of the net. Goal number 3 was a bad giveaway by Petey, but it was also the only goal against that I thought DeSmith had a hand in. The original shot by Beau hit him right in the logo....you can't give up a rebound like that....

There are definitely some things to clean up. Bad giveaways and missed defensive coverage, but the Canucks only gave up 16 shots on goal. That's a pretty solid stat.

I worry a bit about the Canucks changing their approach when it comes to shooting the puck, because of all the blocked shots by the Preds. I hope they don't.

It can be frustrating when you can't get your shots through and it's human nature to try and set up a wide open shot, but I think the Canucks should keep shooting. Sooner or later, one or two of those shots is going to filter through all that traffic and it's going to be very difficult for Saros to track it. Worst case Ontario is that the shot blocks pile up for the Preds and it takes a toll on the body as the series progresses....

By the time game 3 rolls around, the Canucks will have had time to digest the fact that they're without their starter....probably for the rest of the series. The nervous play and the self doubt should be a thing of the past, because they'll know that they carried the play in game two, but just didn't get the bounces.

Keep doing what you're doing boys. There's lots of hockey left.

I'd say as well if preds want to absorb that many shots fire away and see how many of them are still standing by series end.

24 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

What a wonderful world it would be if you only had to pay for game where your team wins....I can see it now: Leaving the arena after a loss and on the way out, a Canucks employee hands you $700 and says "sorry"....:classic_rolleyes:

I wonder what color the sky would be in such a world....🤔

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

I'd say as well if preds want to absorb that many shots fire away and see how many of them are still standing by series end.

Yep. That's one of the point I was making. By the time game 6 rolls around, you'd definitely be feeling the effects....

• MillerTime 1

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Didn't they tie/set Canuck records for shot attempts and hits?

I swear I saw some stats like that?

That doesnt seem nervous to me.

Missing an empty cage? That's nervous...I think I saw Hughes blow a tire w/o pressure like 3 times

That's nervous

1 hour ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Well I think that it’s because his rebound control isn’t great and he loses his net often. They have to be more aware out there because he causes way more issues out there whereas Demko is such a calming brick wall back there. 

Agreed

Casey has to be out... I don't care if some of the goals weren't his fault.  He should have been pulled at 3-0 IMO.  I am tired of hearing pundits and fans alike describe him as some sort of strategic addition that is a valuable part of this team... he was a cap dump we were forced to take back in the Pearson trade (a situation we were hamstrung on due to cap considedrations).  Yes, he's shown flashes of great play this season in a limited role, but he has also had many mediocre performances, especially down the stretch when he was the starter.  Silvos has far more upside and should be the backup of the future (should he want to stay here). 

Our second line (whatever it is) is rotten and needs to be fixed.  I would propose Lotto Line as first line with Garly, Lindholm, and Dak having second line minutes.  The bottom 6 can be rotated as needed based on who is playing well together.  I really like guys like Laff and Suter, but I am tired of seeing them playing so high up the lineup.  Other guys like Hoglander and Mikheyev have been moreless invisible so far and Toch needs to do something to get them going.

Podz should be in the lineup..... he played great down the stretch.  Keeping him out at this juncture is doing a disservice to team and his future.  

Petey needs to get over his yips... I am sure he will. At least he was getting some good looks lately.

We dominated last game for the most part and should be able to pull through... However, we can't afford to let this series slip away.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

I think the minn wild memories as also because brunette was on that team. It was different, we were up a lot then folded. Just hate how historically our offence seems to dry up to teams with one line who just block. 1-1 though and we can change our story.

Brunette was a heck of a hockey player.   Not surprised he's behind the bench now.    That was one series that felt we had it in the bag then the balloon popped and slowly deflated.   As fans it's not easy to re-set either.   Heartbreak hotel pretty much every step of the way.    Demko going down is just another thing to deal with.    

• Cheers 3

That was a whacky game that we win 9 times out of 10. Not too worried as long as DeSmith can provide even average goaltending the rest of the series.

It would certainly help if Petey could get going. He looks so far from a 90 point player right now that it's hard to believe. I suspect management thought that once he was signed to his long-term deal it would take some weight off his shoulders but it appears to have had the opposite effect. I sure hope we don't regret that contract long-term. He needs that elusive mojo back when he used to try audacious moves and pull them off with some regularity. 

Edited by Strawbone
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2