[PGT] Nashville at Vancouver - Stanley Cup Playoffs Round 1 - Game 2

5 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

To be fair to DeSmith, its not like that was a clear sight shot on goal that absolutely should have. 100% been a save. That shot was going far side, DeSmith had to look over the screen of O-Reilly+Hughes. He sees the shot going to his left and because he loses sight of the puck his best bet to make that save is to square up to the puck, hence why he slides over, then the puck takes a 45 degree turn the other way. In order for DeSmith to get back the other way he has to push off which requires him to have to scrunch his outer leg up and push off back the other way. The problem with that is it requires his body/right pad to move further away from the puck before he can explode back the other way. He had no real chance unless he had legs like Vaseline, or some 6’6” goalie whos legs are a longer.

IMG_4011.thumb.jpeg.d073369c3391c9b720cc1f78bff5a00b.jpegIMG_4013.thumb.jpeg.afd1ac9c67730794911aa389b14a2824.jpeg

Its pretty hard to blame DeSmith, he even dropped back in the net to give himself some space for reaction to a bounce off the screen. He started at the top and then slid over and slightly back in his crease

Hey, maybe he had no chance on that shot and Demko wouldnt have stopped it either. At  about 1:40 in of the video @Rip The Meshposted above Woodley breaks down the goal. Letting that shot in was deflating.  In general I dont trust the guy  - he has had poor showings in the last half of the season.  His save percentage is like bottom 1/5th  of the league  (i think it was 51st when i looked it up) and this is behind a pretty well structured team.    At this point he isnt even providing league average goaltending.

That said its not his fault the offence couldnt generate goals, and probably not his fault they lost.  I still think they can get out of this round with him in net.  

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I think Petey needs to train with the Twins this offseason. He has to regain his shot. And really needs to strengthen his core. I think the Twins can work with him to get his timing, accuracy back. Maybe the Twins can figure out what's going on in his head.

He needs to gain some weight as well. He's getting knocked down way too easily.

11 minutes ago, Darius said:

Hey, maybe he had no chance on that shot and Demko wouldnt have stopped it either. At  about 1:40 in of the video @Rip The Meshposted above Woodley breaks down the goal. Letting that shot in was deflating.  In general I dont trust the guy  - he has had poor showings in the last half of the season.  His save percentage is like bottom 1/5th  of the league  (i think it was 51st when i looked it up) and this is behind a pretty well structured team.    At this point he isnt even providing league average goaltending.

That said its not his fault the offence couldnt generate goals, and probably not his fault they lost.  I still think they can get out of this round with him in net.  

Its deflating if its a bad goal, one that should have been a save, ala Cloutier. We never stopped pressing, we never really let Nashville take over control. It was far more deflating missing a wide open net than a harsh angle change on a redirect.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Guys on 650- and a guest shot by Don and Dahli talking about DeSmith

"He only allowed 3 goals" " Can't Go to Silov's until game 4 if necessary".

"He only allowed 3 goals"    this is true, but  is missing a bit of context.

3 goals- on 15 shots and .800 save percentage.

DeSmith did not cost them the game- but he didn't help it win, either.

I'm fine with going Silovs- he likely to be next year's back up anyway. He'll be cheaper than DeSmith, younger and has a future with the team.

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

Guys on 650- and a guest shot by Don and Dahli talking about DeSmith

"He only allowed 3 goals" " Can't Go to Silov's until game 4 if necessary".

"He only allowed 3 goals"    this is true, but  is missing a bit of context.

3 goals- on 15 shots and .800 save percentage.

DeSmith did not cost them the game- but he didn't help it win, either.

I'm fine with going Silovs- he likely to be next year's back up anyway. He'll be cheaper than DeSmith, younger and has a future with the team.

Probably not a big difference.  Maybe give each guy a start on the road if they can't win game 3.  Then play the hot hand with whoever wins.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I think Petey needs to train with the Twins this offseason. He has to regain his shot. And really needs to strengthen his core. I think the Twins can work with him to get his timing, accuracy back. Maybe the Twins can figure out what's going on in his head.

Petey is fortunate, he really will never have two better mentors at his service. 

• Like 1

I thought I'd post this here since all these fans so doom and gloom about losing ONE SINGLE game just to put your minds at ease! (PS not meaning the fans on here but others on 'X' or word of mouth at work seem to think we're done and doomed cause we lost. Just wanted to clarify)

Over the past 36 postseasons (since the 1987 expansion to best-of-seven series), a sweep has resulted in 76 of 540 series, representing 1 in 7 (14%) of all playoff series.

1 in 7 odds so don't stress out! If we go 1-3 to Nashville then you can stress out. 

Edited by yawn

14 hours ago, Northern_Nuck said:

He’s gonna get concussed. I noticed in the last period when he was doing his head down perimeter skates in the O-zone, the Preds started taking Runs at him… and honestly I don’t blame them. There’s no deterrent on the Canucks beyond maybe Tocchet or Foote, they’re the only ones that can Chuck em not bad lol

Hughes looked like he was going to cry again at some points last night. Hard to win in the playoffs when your 2 best offensive players (Petey & Hughes) are probably the weakest players in the NHL and get intimidated. At least Hughes can skate himself out of trouble most of the time. 

We still need another top 6 forward and a few big gritty forwards imo. Even a player like McCarron would be huge. He’s been giving our team trouble all series with his size. 

1 minute ago, NucksNation said:

Hughes looked like he was going to cry again at some points last night. Hard to win in the playoffs when your 2 best offensive players (Petey & Hughes) are probably the weakest players in the NHL and get intimidated. At least Hughes can skate himself out of trouble most of the time. 

We still need another top 6 forward and a few big gritty forwards imo. Even a player like McCarron would be huge. He’s been giving our team trouble all series with his size. 

Hughes was frustrated but never looked like he was crying. Your assessment that he's a weak player is false. He's shown ability to defend well against bigger players successfully. Pettersson on the other hand did look distracted and disengaged. He'll need to correct that for Game 3, or the din about him being not as good as his contract will get louder. 

• Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Hoggy disappeared in post season so far.

Podz back in instead?

Hogz does not need to be replaced in the lineup at this point, Podz should draw in for game 3 and PDG can come out. 

I’ve gone to games 1&2 lost my voice from game 1 lol flying out to Vegas tonight so I’ll be watching game 3 in a sports lounge supporting our team!!
We got this and our offensive game will be highlighted in game 3.

Go Canucks Go! :towel:

• Cheers 4

8 minutes ago, yawn said:

I thought I'd post this here since all these fans so doom and gloom about losing ONE SINGLE game just to put your minds at ease! (PS not meaning the fans on here but others on 'X' or word of mouth at work seem to think we're done and doomed cause we lost. Just wanted to clarify)

Over the past 36 postseasons (since the 1987 expansion to best-of-seven series), a sweep has resulted in 76 of 540 series, representing 1 in 7 (14%) of all playoff series.

1 in 7 odds so don't stress out! If we go 1-3 to Nashville then you can stress out. 

100% we cannot lose both road games then it would be panic time.

7 minutes ago, NucksNation said:

I saw a guy who was frustrated not about to cry.

The amount of shots fired, blocked and bad bounces we were getting and the ineffectiveness of our PP and guys missing their grade As must have been super frustrating.

Hughes played 27 minutes and had a lot of long shifts or shifts with little rest

And a large % of that was in the offensive zone.

• Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, NucksNation said:

Are you being serious? Hughes was the best player on the ice for both teams last night. Calling him one of the weakest players in the league is ridiculous! His play drives the whole team.....they did minimal without him on the ice last night.

Let's talk about Beoser; what an terrible performance! I get that offense sometimes doesn't happen, but he could at least use his size; guy is wellover 6' and 200lbs. Him and Petey are invisible..... unless Petey is missing open nets or turning over pucks.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I think a road win is just what the doctor ordered.

Our fans although an advantage at times can increase pressure for guys.

And we were honestly utterly puck dominant and clearly frustrated.

Nashville did not play their game.

They got a lucky bounce in to start the game and we missed our chances and the sacrificed their bodies to block shots in a way I have never watched before.

That is not a strategy to win a series.

We play that game again and again and I find a hard time believing we lose more than we win.

• First shot in when chanting Casey
  • Petey missing the open net
  • and Miller stick exploding on a one timer

Those three moments specifically kinda summed the game up for me. There was a degree of bad luck.

What we did do well:

• dominant puck possession (Nashville cant play their game without puck possession)
  • 26 Minutes the puck was in their zone
  • We had very little breakdowns on our end, but the mistakes we did make ended up as goals unfortunately
  • Our PK did a good job they only got one good look with ROR in the bumper 
  • Physicality, we hit them a lot
  • Even strength we were the better team by a landslide
  • We did generate some solid grade A chances
    • Suter on the doorstep / backdoor 2x
    • Boeser in tight
    • Multiple Petey shot opportunities including a yawning cage
    • Lafferty partial break
    • Miller going downhill 
    • Slap passes getting through layers of blocks / posts
    • Mikehyev off the circle
  • Forcing Saros to be tracking and engaged most of the game even with shots being blocked would have been a phsycailly demanding game
  • Joshua getting hit into Saros, sounds small but hes a big boy
  • Zadorov. Loved his game 1 and 2

What didn't go well:

• Forcing plays out of frustration or lack of confidence
    • Passing when should shoot or the opposite
    • or holding then forcing a shot with a guy down to block 
    • overthinking and inefficient shot selection
  • Petey was more involved which was good, but it hurt us. The turnovers and lack of confidence hurt us on both ends of the night. 9 shots and not one on net is poor decision making.
  • 18 shots through, 30 something blocked shots, 80 something shot attempts. For the zone time, the pwoerplay time these results were not close to good enough. no excuses.
    • Need to break it down on tape and figure out how to get shots through. Whether it is using the boards better or a certain way to attack they can identify in tape and go from there. We did get looks though so it wasn't all bad.
  • Miller getting the back of his leg slashed and his wrist, not ideal but part of playoff hockey
  • Juulsen maybe too big a role for him when hes not been playing that much. He did some great things though. I thought the penalty calls on him were soft for playoffs, and getting caught against their best line concerns me for the road game matchups. But outside of that he was good on our goal scored, he was physical and he played a decent game outside of the penalties and the forsberg goal.
  • No PP goals in two games its just not good enough. It needs to be an asset or guys will start taking liberties on our players to a greater degree with less fear of us scoring a goal too. And with Desmith in net our PK will be more stressful so a doughnut PP scoring will be a death sentence to our playoffs

I liked Millers post game attitude and interview and I hope they go in to Game 3, calm and prepared.

Great summary; exactly as my eyes saw it too.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

I hope so. The team needs a bottom 6 motor like him on the 4th line. 

PDG and Laffy are useless, imo. 

motor AND his strength and size to dictate play onto the opponents. Like Zad, when he hits guys, it hurts; very solid planted hits. 

4 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

motor AND his strength and size to dictate play onto the opponents. Like Zad, when he hits guys, it hurts; very solid planted hits. 

Agreed. Only issue is, he has no finish. I hope that Podz grows/matures his game like Joshua did. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

Agreed. Only issue is, he has no finish. I hope that Podz grows/matures his game like Joshua did. 

Think he has been SO focused on playing a 200' game to stay up in the NHL, he's scared to make a mistake. RT needs to ensure he is comfortable to the point of not being paralyzed offensively about being sent down.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1