[PGT] Nashville at Vancouver - Stanley Cup Playoffs Round 1 - Game 2

45 minutes ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

He needs to gain some weight as well. He's getting knocked down way too easily.

No one wants to ever discuss it, but Petey's frame has to be considered before signing him to 11.6 x 8.  Too late for that now.  Petey will never "fill out".  Well not until he retires and fills out in another way. Its his bone structure, he just has a thinner frame than most other hockey players. The uncomfortable truth is that size is a big factor in the NHL. That is a larger skilled player has a greater advantage than a smaller framed equally skilled player.  I love Petey, but that was a main reason he wasn't considered as a top 3 pick in his draft.

He's a brilliant player.  And his skill, when his confidence is at 100%, is spectacular, and it makes up for his lack of girth.  Not comparing him to Gretzky, but that is another example of how a smaller framed player can still be great. Petey just has to learn how to still be able to do his thing, make plays, and still avoid the checks, and get himself out of the way.  And I have faith he will get there.  It just may not be developed enough for this playoffs, (but I'm not saying he won't). I do think he'll learn from experience and be better by the time we are in the playoffs again.

Lately it seems he is envious of bigger (thicker) players and wants to feel what's its like to make a big hit.   This season he's made more of a concerted effort to be more physical, even if its mainly the 'reverse hit'.  But maybe that is part of his distraction. He wants to do everything. He's got to focus on what he can do best, accept his limitations, and maybe leave the other jobs for those better built for it. You'll never be Punishing Pete, concentrate on being Sneaky Pete again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

PDG and Laffy are useless, imo. 

Lafferty had a  good start to this season, but has been 'not good' since the half way mark.

PDG- I think he's done as a Canuck; too many years here, and never quite holding a spot.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kilgore said:

No one wants to ever discuss it, but Petey's frame has to be considered before signing him to 11.6 x 8.  Too late for that now.  Petey will never "fill out".  Well not until he retires and fills out in another way. Its his bone structure, he just has a thinner frame than most other hockey players. The uncomfortable truth is that size is a big factor in the NHL. That is a larger skilled player has a greater advantage than a smaller framed equally skilled player.  I love Petey, but that was a main reason he wasn't considered as a top 3 pick in his draft.

He's a brilliant player.  And his skill, when his confidence is at 100%, is spectacular, and it makes up for his lack of girth.  Not comparing him to Gretzky, but that is another example of how a smaller framed player can still be great. Petey just has to learn how to still be able to do his thing, make plays, and still avoid the checks, and get himself out of the way.  And I have faith he will get there.  It just may not be developed enough for this playoffs, (but I'm not saying he won't). I do think he'll learn from experience and be better by the time we are in the playoffs again.

Lately it seems he is envious of bigger (thicker) players and wants to feel what's its like to make a big hit.   This season he's made more of a concerted effort to be more physical, even if its mainly the 'reverse hit'.  But maybe that is part of his distraction. He wants to do everything. He's got to focus on what he can do best, accept his limitations, and maybe leave the other jobs for those better built for it. You'll never be Punishing Pete, concentrate on being Sneaky Pete again.

He has shown earlier in the year he can be strong on his skates. Not sure if he is injuried, tired, or just lacking confidence now. It is actually perplexing how he has done a 180 from the way he started year.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Gurn said:

Lafferty had a  good start to this season, but has been 'not good' since the half way mark.

PDG- I think he's done as a Canuck; too many years here, and never quite holding a spot.

Agreed. 

Back in the day we had Lapierre and Torres. Laffy and PDG aren’t nearly at their levels on the 4th line. 

This is a concern 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Lafferty has had good hussle in the POs so far...one of teh better players. Though agree his play in second half of regular  season was meh.

Yeah he's moving his feet again, I think he serviceable now again too

• Cheers 1

NSH wants to embrace the pain?  Well I hope the Canucks bomb it at them.

Series tied 1-1.  Im optimistic about their game despite not having their wall behind them.  

Taking both NSH games and silencing that crowd would be *chefs kiss*

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, AngryGoose said:

NSH wants to embrace the pain?  Well I hope the Canucks bomb it at them.

Series tied 1-1.  Im optimistic about their game despite not having their wall behind them.  

Taking both NSH games and silencing that crowd would be *chefs kiss*

Well Done Ok GIF by funk

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Well they did generate a sustained offensive shift that lead to our only goal for. So I dont know about useless.

The trio were the only +1s on our scoresheet too. Had 9 hits, 3 of our 18 shots on net and all played around 10 minutes.

They also took zero penalties.

Lafferty partial break no shot was disappointing, be he followed it up with a solid screen and PDG had a nice half wall play to buy time and get the puck up to the D to set Z up for our goal.

I would say they weren't a problem in game 2.

For a fourth line I think they did their job.

Fair points. 

In your opinion, keep them both or subtract one of them and add Podz? 

What’s better for the 4th line? 

57 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Are you being serious? Hughes was the best player on the ice for both teams last night. Calling him one of the weakest players in the league is ridiculous! His play drives the whole team.....they did minimal without him on the ice last night.

Let's talk about Beoser; what a terrible performance! I get that offense sometimes doesn't happen, but he could at least use his size; guy is wellover 6' and 200lbs. Him and Petey are invisible..... unless Petey is missing open nets or turning over pucks.

He is one of the weakest players in the league physically, that’s just common sense. Who tf said he played bad or he doesn’t drive play? You soy boys need to learn reading comprehension.

Hughes weakness is when he’s being played physically hard. That’s when he gets off his game and starts to bail on plays like he did a few times last night, which he never does.

47 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Agreed. 

Back in the day we had Lapierre and Torres. Laffy and PDG aren’t nearly at their levels on the 4th line. 

This is a concern 

We at least know Lafferty can engage physically when needed. I haven't anything close to that from PDG at any point in the season. 

54 minutes ago, kilgore said:

the guy needs to develop his practice habits, as tocchet has alluded to. that's the limitation, not his body. 

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Nashville put on a shot blocking clinic, they played desperate. I don't think they can do that for 5 more games.

Yeah  the result wasn't great, but nothing to panic over in terms of play. The Canucks should win this series but I didn't think sweep at any point.

• MillerTime 1

6 minutes ago, Pears said:

We at least know Lafferty can engage physically when needed. I haven't anything close to that from PDG at any point in the season. 

I would be totally fine with keeping Laff in the lineup and adding Podz. 

The 4th line need to be elevated, in order to compliment the other 3 lines. 

The Nucks aren’t going to win based on goaltending. That’s obvious. 

Defence is good. 

Top 3 lines are good. 

If the team has an even better 4th line, then perhaps that takes the pressure off Casey and the Defence and allows for more O-Zone time. 

Just saying. 

2 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

i can see us taking round 1 without him, we can beat nashville 

0 chance we can beat edmonton without Demko. 0. 

Didn't we beat Deadmonton the last game to win the Pacific without Demko?

30 minutes ago, tas said:

the guy needs to develop his practice habits, as tocchet has alluded to. that's the limitation, not his body. 

Just the other day Tocchet said something about now that playoffs are here, "no more video games" for Petey. I don't know if that was a real shot across the bow, or if he was just joking. His off-ice commitment maybe is a concern. I know Hughes has mentioned specifically that he's completely changed his diet and is reading books on self-betterment and other things to become the best player he can be. Maybe Petey needs to do the same.

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Demko will be out the second round too if we make it there…

This is 100% smoke and mirrors from Jim Rutherford and his people. When Demko got injured in the regular season nobody knew what his injury even was for a few days. I posted on here that it was his knee because I heard it from Francesco Aquilini after the game. 
Yet now in the playoffs when teams are notoriously more closely guarded than they are in the regular season all of these insiders have an opinion.  
The team is 100% leaking this information to stir the pot.