[PGT] Nashville at Vancouver - Stanley Cup Playoffs Round 1 - Game 2

49 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

If I said it once I said it a thousand times 

Rest 40 till the playoffs 

But nope he lolly gagged his way through a bunch of not so meaningful games then 

Carried that lolly gagging to the playoffs 

He thinks he's Jim Sandlack

When he's built like Mason Raymond 

House/mouse

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cup_Starved said:

Not sure if this was mentioned before but after Pettersson missed the open net why didn't he pursue the puck.  Seemed like he might have been able to at least challenge for possession still.  Instead he stared into the skies and fell to his knees.  Com'on dude, you have to show more fight than that.  This is the Stanley Cup playoffs and you are a superstar, not a high school basketball game

Hughes is trying too hard.  Trying to carry this team on his back but instead he will wear himself out and start making bad plays.  Team probably needs to do the counterintuitive thing and dial things back 5%

Going on the road might be the magic the Canucks need at this point

These are the moments that fans remember. The skyward glances, the loss of focus. Petey was universally loved amongst our fanbase.

Now his goodwill has eroded to the point where he has become something of a whipping boy in these parts. 

I feel like EP is at a crossroads. A couple of great games on the road and all will be forgiven. I’m rooting for ya Petey, so dig deep and get it together.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 2

18 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Petey needs a mental adjustment.

As a young guy someone needs to tell him to stop trying to lift the weight of the world on his shoulders and just let all the fan support propel him to bigger better things.

It's confidence baby.  Believe in yourself Petey and you will turn it around.

Does Petey himself believe the weight of the world’s on his shoulders? He’s been playing like a role player for a couple months now.

3 minutes ago, jason10009 said:

Many months ago I said Petey was a streaky player, and someone on this board jumped on me on how I don't understand points production. So be warned. lol

I questioned his abilities a while back too, especially around the time when many were saying to pay him what ever he wants. Back then, there was rumour he was suffering some kind of injury but his inconsistency continued and we are still seeing it today. 

I suggested we trade him off and get some players who carried lesser salary caps but were much bigger and heavier to play the more physical playoff game. I got jumped on for that too. 

I look at it like the golf analogy" Drive for Show, Putt for Doe". 

We need the nitty gritty who are willing to pay the price to win. We have too many performers who do well until things get difficult and more physical. Like the playoffs.

We are seeing who is important to this squad now, Zadorov, Joshua and Garland. 

It takes a special breed to up your game when it counts, and right now, we are seeing the difference. 

We have been down this road before and I sure hope that this "Top Paid" group learns how to play through adversity real quick. 

"But they played so well in the bubble payoffs?" :classic_laugh:

2 hours ago, Pears said:

We at least know Lafferty can engage physically when needed. I haven't anything close to that from PDG at any point in the season. 

Didn't he get beat down by Lowry. I didn't see any other Canuck players stepping up? 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

These are the moments that fans remember. The skyward glances, the loss of focus. Petey was universally loved amongst our fanbase.

Now his goodwill has eroded to the point where he has become something of a whipping boy in these parts. 

I feel like EP is at a crossroads. A couple of great games on the road and all will be forgiven. I’m rooting for ya Petey, so dig deep and get it together.

Hockey is a fickle game, Petey pots that empty net and he is a hero here. I thought the team played well, just was very unlucky.

44 minutes ago, Messier_Sucks said:

Just a confidence issue/gripping the stick too tight imo. He played great vs bigger more physical teams like the Blues and Knights.

He's an 89 pt player, but he's not playing like one. What's caused him to lose his mojo? Why's his confidence low?

23 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

I think it’s a creation of  the Predator fans and media to act as a prop for them to go to town on with bats and sledgehammers .

I'm surprised that level of aggression is okay with the Preds Org. Smashing a car? And the reference to me is to the 2011 post Cup riots in Vancouver, so seems like a double slam.

12 minutes ago, Guntrix said:

Does Petey himself believe the weight of the world’s on his shoulders? He’s been playing like a role player for a couple months now.

Its funny, as much as I thought that a player of his calibre should lift the skills and abilities of the players surrounding him, it has become the exact opposite. From Kuzmenko/Mik to Hogs, to Lindholm to who ever he has played with, the same results seem to occur. Even the Lotto line seems to play better without him.

I really thought that he would excel come playoff time, but that doesn't seem to be the case. 

If he is going to be the highest paid player on this team next year, he better start showing that he is worth it sometime soon please.

11 minutes ago, Mando27 said:

Hockey is a fickle game, Petey pots that empty net and he is a hero here. I thought the team played well, just was very unlucky.

Did he do even that much? 

The most special players get the most special attention and the most special critiques. 

This is the time for Petey to show up. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Barnstorm said:

There’s a big  difference in the centre of gravity between Garland and Pettersson. 

Petterssons longer  body and legs also create a better lever for prying/pushing against. 

Garland has a warriors heart like Ronning and Smyl.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Guntrix said:

Go look at his body language on misses and his post game interviews. Obvious to me he is carrying the weight of the world too much as he hasn't been here before in a full playoffs.

Personally I think he turns it around on the road in Nashville.

How often does Huggy fall down over his feet more than Petey? He did, 3 or 4 times in the first period. Realistically, how many times out of 10 does Petey miss a wide open net from close range? This was not all "puck luck".  This was jitters. All fired up knowing the Preds would play a better game then game 1. They got over exited and it showed.

Needed to be not too high, not too low, and finally started to get better by the 3rd period, but were stymied by the Preds defensive game. As for that,  I go back to some old advice.

"Shoot the puck! Shoot the puck! You can't score a goal if you don't shoot the puck! Shoot the Puuuck!!

Howie Meeker

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barnstorm said:

There’s a big  difference in the centre of gravity between Garland and Pettersson. 

Petterssons longer  body and legs also create a better lever for prying/pushing against. 

I'd agree. I think both players have faced adversity based on their physiques. Garland is the shorter / smaller kid who became a tenacious fighter. Petey is the long / lean kid who became a skilled shooter and passer.

It seems like Garland's inner belief is stronger than Pettersson's atm. It's like he had his mojo going last year and for the first half of this year and then lost his way. Because he is more tentative his shots are off or not resulting in points, which is causing him to become more tentative, and it's led to downward spiral.

Essentially, it's not that Pettersson can't score or pass, it's that his hesitation is messing with his timing. His aim is off, because he's trained his body to be precise and when the timing is right - his shots are harder, more accurate, etc.

Somebody posted in another thread highlights of Peteys first few years. He used to skate fast, deaked the jocks off defenders and have a wicked wrister. Add in the booming slap shot on the PP. 

Does any of that describe the player we have watched for the past few months?  His feet barely move any more and dont  get me started on his lack of shooting 

Edited by Rebelnuck
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Jesus Christ I'm getting tired of the Petey dumping ground......... he's not the only one not producing.  Miller has one point, boeser is completely invisible, hogz is invisible.  At least petey is still playing well and getting chances.

Don't ask to get paid if you can't handle the heat.
Everyone warned that people would turn when he wanted the big payday; now he has it and all eyes are on him to produce like the 11 million dollar man. It's not going to change for the next 8 years might as well get used to it. Miller wisely took a discount to avoid these issues 

• Cheers 3

18 hours ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

Unfortunately then what will that do for Boeser? Miller, Boeser, and Pettersson are our main stars during the regular season. If you look at all the other playoff games, their stars have shown up. So far Miller, Boeser, and Pettersson haven't shown up.

Boeser makes how much and we're worrying about how he'll do on the second line with EP?  Crazy stuff.  Miller has been very good in my eyes. He's steamrolled guys and he's set up some great chances that his linemates couldn't finish.  Suter's empty net opportunity for one.  Hughes has been great and Lindholm has been reliable.  Boeser has been better than EP but neither of those guys have been dangerous and EP has been Santa Claus with his giveaways.

The lotto line could get another look, but then we go to two lines with strength at center instead of 3.  I think by trying Miller with Joshua and Garland you have 3 guys who are rolling and would likely get the attention of the best D.....leaving EP, Hogs and Boeser to get more chances one would hope.

• Like 1