[PGT] Nashville at Vancouver - Stanley Cup Playoffs Round 1 - Game 2

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

Is he getting paid $11m right now?  No?  So then that's a straw man argument, no?

He made his demands public putting pressure on the team before putting pen to paper. Its not my concern what year the payments are made. He deserves what he brought on himself.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Hairy Kneel said:

I'm not so much questioning his contract it's his attitude.  He seems not to really care. Notice how he skated right past Garland coming off the ice after the win? Didn't go for the hug.

So it's his personality you don't like them?  He's never not been like that.......he's even keeled, good times and bad.  Personally, id rather that than a roller coaster if a ifiins where you don't know which version of him you're going to get 

1 minute ago, Rebelnuck said:

He made his demands public putting pressure on the team before putting pen to paper. Its not my concern what year the payments are made. He deserves what he brought on himself.

When did he make his demands public?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

So it's his personality you don't like them?  He's never not been like that.......he's even keeled, good times and bad.  Personally, id rather that than a roller coaster if a ifiins where you don't know which version of him you're going to get 

Yeah if we can send this version back that'd be great.

Just now, stawns said:

When did he make his demands public?

Holding out on the team for most of the year? Demanding to see improvement from management before signing? Your grasping at you straw mans balls right now😅

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Rebelnuck said:

He made his demands public putting pressure on the team before putting pen to paper. Its not my concern what year the payments are made. He deserves what he brought on himself.

Does anyone disagree that it would have been way better if the contract talks were put on hold until after the playoffs? 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Well he's not playing any worse than any of the other high priced players, so why single him out?  And he's still playing well, just not putting up numbers.

Because he is paid to score and he's not, especially when we really need him to. We don't pay Blueger or Lafferty to score do we? He declined the offer that was given to him because he thought he was worth more. Ok, fine, now you got paid so put your money where your mouth is and produce. 

We all know Miller took a  pay cut, Petey didn't. There is nowhere to hide now, he needs to earn his pay check.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Rebelnuck said:

Holding out on the team for most of the year? Demanding to see improvement from management before signing? Your grasping at you straw mans balls right now😅

He didn't hold out at all.  He played right from game 1.  As far as not negotiating in season, many players do that.

But you said he made his demands public......when did he do that?

• Cheers 1
  • Wiener 1

2 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Yeah if we can send this version back that'd be great.

Same with miller, same with boeser, same with hogz, even Hughes wasn't good last night 

Why does Petey get all the heat?

• Cheers 1

Last game a lot of our passes weren’t only not connecting; a noticed a lot more passes were being received on a players backhand or while their bodies were pivoting away from taking the pass easy. I wonder if a deep dive on our breakouts/pp this game were tinkered with that resulted in that. They’re professionals so I highly doubt it, but just one of the many micro-analyses to put out there.

Either way, I know the boys are coming out the hardest we’ve seen all year come from Friday! 

1 minute ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Last game a lot of our passes weren’t only not connecting; a noticed a lot more passes were being received on a players backhand or while their bodies were pivoting away from taking the pass easy. I wonder if a deep dive on our breakouts/pp this game were tinkered with that resulted in that. They’re professionals so I highly doubt it, but just one of the many micro-analyses to put out there.

Either way, I know the boys are coming out the hardest we’ve seen all year come from Friday! 

I definitely thought they played well enough to win, but the little things were a bit off last night.

As I said before, I agree with the panel.......they were trying to hard to compensate for the absence of demko

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

Well he's not playing any worse than any of the other high priced players, so why single him out?  And he's still playing well, just not putting up numbers.

Petey is also playing with what we can all agree is less than stellar linemates. I do not see this with other teams best or 2nd best centremen. That is a factor in my opinion. Let's lay off him and let him work through it. I have alot of belief that if we continue to play our game we will be okay.

Now let's deliver them the viscuous beating Friday that they deserve! 

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

He didn't hold out at all.  He played right from game 1.  As far as not negotiating in season, many players do that.

But you said he made his demands public......when did he do that?

What!? He was given an offer and turned it down. There were discussions and then they stopped and then they started. This continued on until his demands were met. He wanted more money, he got it. 

The rumour was thats the team offered him around 10.5 , obviously they caved and overpaid him to keep him happy. 

His turn to uphold his part of the bargain now and produce like what his salary dictates, which should be like a 100+ pt. player.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

Is he getting paid $11m right now?  No?  So then that's a straw man argument, no?

The moment that contract was signed the organization felt the repercussions and had to adjust all aspects of player payroll going forward. That $11 million doesn’t affect Pettersson alone. He will also receive much of his income in advance as signing bonuses long before he’s earned it. 

It’s reasonable to hope he performs to his new  contracts value now. If he can’t then so be it however no one expects him to hold back until the day it becomes effective. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Barnstorm said:

The moment that contract was signed the organization felt the repercussions and had to adjust all aspects of player payroll going forward. That $11 million doesn’t affect Pettersson alone. He will also receive much of his income in advance as signing bonuses long before he’s earned it. 

It’s reasonable to hope he performs to his new  contracts value now. If he can’t then so be it however no one expects him to hold back until the day it becomes effective. 

Nonetheless, why is he getting all the heat.  He's playing better than Boes and Hogz and at least as good as Miler, yet he's getting all the vitriol.

He's not scoring, but he's, at least, playing well

• Wiener 1

17 minutes ago, Rebelnuck said:

What exactly were his public demands? If I recall his statement was that he didn't want to talk contract at all mid season so he could focus on hockey, and the team was on the one who put pressure on him publically to sign.

5 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

What!? He was given an offer and turned it down. There were discussions and then they stopped and then they started. This continued on until his demands were met. He wanted more money, he got it. 

The rumour was thats the team offered him around 10.5 , obviously they caved and overpaid him to keep him happy. 

His turn to uphold his part of the bargain now and produce like what his salary dictates, which should be like a 100+ pt. player.

And how did Petey make that public?

2 hours ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

The contrast between how Garland and Petey handle their size issues is striking. One would dismiss Garland right away with his size, but he uses it to his advantage. He often slips around players because he is smaller and when he gets hit he still manages to keep moving. Petey on the other hand seems to fall down more often and hits disrupt his play. 

I was always concerned about playoff Petey atm he is struggling to find out how to play in more physical playoff style hockey. It felt like Tocchet was saying that maybe this is his playoff learning year and next year he will be more ready for it. Hopefully he can figure it out soon, but a series can quickly be short.

Garland is 5'8".  He literally is able to go underneath guys.  Petey is 6'2".  He has to go through guys.  Big difference...

23 minutes ago, Canuck-Oni said:

I don't want to psychoanalysis Petty but I'm wondering if he is enjoying the gaming / streaming lifestyle moreso than hockey at the moment.

Gaming / streaming is easy..hockey is HARD. Hard on the body, mind, etc.

Steaming he can have a plethora of followers who LOVE him and don't complain or bitch at him like fans. Less pressure.

He could make more money steaming if he became popular...

Ah, all speculation and unsubstantiated musings.

Oh God...   🤦‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, stawns said:

Nonetheless, why is he getting all the heat.  He's playing better than Boes and Hogz and at least as good as Miler, yet he's getting all the vitriol.

He's not scoring, but he's, at least, playing well

He’s getting heat because people are impatient. They want it all and they want it now. Not everyone understands what it is to struggle . Personally I think he brings a lot to the team even while his point production is waning. 

He’s generally good defensively , draws penalties and draws the oppositions resources in guarding him. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1