[PGT] Nashville at Vancouver - Stanley Cup Playoffs Round 1 - Game 2

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Ok you do you.  Petey's zero points (1 of only 4 forwards on the canucks) and team worst -4 also slap you in the face, but ignore that too.

Plus minus, nice.  Most useless stat in hockey, especially for forwards 

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

Is Miller ‘that hole’ that you think needed to be filled? 

Who is a better first line player that the team could have received that would have given the team the heart and skill that Miller provides? 

I think Miller is a great player, which is why he would have been a great piece to move.  Same with Petey.

Just now, stawns said:

Plus minus, nice.  Most useless stat in hockey, especially for forwards 

Not when you look at it collectively against all the other players on the same team.  

Clearly stats and analytics mean nothing to you.  So pointless arguing with someone so stubborn and arrogant.  You probably think the earth is flat too because your eyes tell you that.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Not when you look at it collectively against all the other players on the same team.  

Clearly stats and analytics mean nothing to you.  So pointless arguing with someone so stubborn and arrogant.  You probably think the earth is flat too because your eyes tell you that.

Arrogant because I see the game differently than you?  Am I insulting you because you choose to look at stat lines to form your opinion?

I've got 43 years of playing and coaching, I'm pretty confident in what I see.  As I said, analytics can help refine the overall picture, but I'd never really use them to guide my opinion on an individual player......... there's too many variables involved in a fast paced, fluid team game like hockey.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

12 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Lmao.  In other words you don't believe in facts.  Your opinion trumps all.  Oh boy...

Analytics aren't actually facts.  They are numbers that can be manipulated in many ways and those numbers are also based on team performance and what other players are doing on the ice at the same time.  Stawns is referring to the eye test which is how I grew up watching hockey.  The eye test told me Boeser was crap last night, just as bad as Petey.  Miller wasn't much better.  The only player who really stood out was Hughes.  Zadorov also had a monster game.  Your BFF Garland was also good and so was Joshua.  Joshua also missed some opportunities just like Petey did.  Hoglander and Di Giuseppe were by far the worst players on the ice.  And Lafferty couldn't get a shot on net to save his life...

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

Miller threw 4 blind passes out of the ozone last night as they were trying to mount some kind of comeback.

Yeah but the EP mistake directly led to a goal.

• Thanks 2

Just now, stawns said:

Arrogant because I see the game differently than you?  Am I insulting you because you choose to look at stat lines to form your opinion?

I've got 43 years of playing and coaching, I'm pretty confident in what I see.  As I said, analytics can help refine the overall picture, but I'd never really use them to guide my opinion on an individual player......... there's too many variables involved in a fast paced, fluid team game like hockey.

No you're just arrogant because stats and analytics is just as important, if not more important than your amateur hockey career.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I agree 100%.  I can't believe that some people try and use the analytics card to solely judge a player on.  That's nuts.  You might as well not even watch the game then.  You can simply look at Natural Stat Trick to know who was playing well and who wasn't...

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Analytics aren't actually facts.  They are numbers that can be manipulated in many ways and those numbers are also based on team performance and what other players are doing on the ice at the same time.  Stawns is referring to the eye test which is how I grew up watching hockey.  The eye test told me Boeser was crap last night, just as bad as Petey.  Miller wasn't much better.  The only player who really stood out was Hughes.  Zadorov also had a monster game.  Your BFF Garland was also good and so was Joshua.  Joshua also missed some opportunities just like Petey did.  Hoglander and Di Giuseppe were by far the worst players on the ice.  And Lafferty couldn't get a shot on net to save his life...

Except I'm not even just looking at analytics.  +/- relative to the rest of the team tells the same story.  One of only 4 forwards with 0 points also tells the same story.  Majority of people watching him play also think he's playing like garbage also tells the same story.  Petey himself admitting to his poor play also tells the same story.  

Just because stawns comes along and says otherwise means squat.  He's the same guy that tried to convince people trading Boeser was a good idea and trading Miller was a good idea.  He has so many bad takes on the game yet talks like he knows better than everyone else.

• ThereItIs 1

Yeah petey fked up multiple times. We all agree with that. I dont think theres a point in psychoanalysing the guy wants or needs. Guy has to turn it on, plain and simple. 

Desmith is starting game 3, i get that casey has had some good games. But if the goal is the cup, silovs feels more likely to pull a jordan binington or an aidin hill then desmith. I know our chances took a big hit with demko going down. But i think if thats the case then we have to risk it for the buiscuit

It "indirectly" led to a goal.  Big difference.  Also, you can't justify bad passes simply because they didn't lead to a goal.  A bad pass is a bad pass.  And Miller made a few bad passes last night.

You might have to change your name if he plays like this next year.

• Huggy Bear 1

18 minutes ago, stawns said:

Nope, I still would have traded him at that point.  I think this team has holes and they need a trade where one top line goes out and multiple good pieces come back.  Miller would have been a prime candidate for that.  Petey would have been too

At which point? 

Come on man, it’s ok to be on Millsy’s side. The guy is everything Canucks fans wanted. 

Kesler heavy. The guy is rock solid, game in game out.

What’s the issue? 

I wasn’t a fan before admittedly, but I’m fully behind Miller. He’s such a great player and leader. 

What’s your issue with him at this moment in time? 

It "indirectly" led to a goal.  Big difference.  Also, you can't justify bad passes simply because they didn't lead to a goal.  A bad pass is a bad pass.  And Miller made a few bad passes last night.

Every kid knows to play the puck up the boards.  That blind pass to the middle to NO ONE put the game pretty much out of reach when the Preds went up 3-0.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, stawns said:

Miller threw 4 blind passes out of the ozone last night as they were trying to mount some kind of comeback.

I think this is an important point - they were playing from behind and taking some additional risks. The top line(s) is(are) likely on the ice when that happens.

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Except I'm not even just looking at analytics.  +/- relative to the rest of the team tells the same story.  One of only 4 forwards with 0 points also tells the same story.  Majority of people watching him play also think he's playing like garbage also tells the same story.  Petey himself admitting to his poor play also tells the same story.  

Just because stawns comes along and says otherwise means squat.  He's the same guy that tried to convince people trading Boeser was a good idea and trading Miller was a good idea.  He has so many bad takes on the game yet talks like he knows better than everyone else.

So, by your logic Di Giuseppe had a better game than Petey because he got an assist and was a +1?  Numbers don't tell the whole story.  Of course Petey is going to say he had a bad game, I'm not trying to suggest he had a good game.  My point was that analytics don't tell the whole story and that Boeser and others had just as bad of a game as Petey did.  Boeser was literally stationary the whole game, he doesn't have the speed for playoff hockey.  At least Petey can skate around defenders.

So, by your logic Di Giuseppe had a better game than Petey because he got an assist and was a +1?  Numbers don't tell the whole story.  Of course Petey is going to say he had a bad game, I'm not trying to suggest he had a good game.  My point was that analytics don't tell the whole story and that Boeser and others had just as bad of a game as Petey did.  Boeser was literally stationary the whole game, he doesn't have the speed for playoff hockey.  At least Petey can skate around defenders.

In the minutes that PDG played?  He probably did contribute more than Petey did.  Petey was a -3 and gave up the puck that inevitably gave NAS the 3rd goal.  Not sure how you can argue that PDG contributed less than Petey did.

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

If you actually have 43 years playing/coaching and really believe that trading Miller was best for this team.....just wow

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BPA said:

Every kid knows to play the puck up the boards.  That blind pass to the middle to NO ONE put the game pretty much out of reach when the Preds went up 3-0.

I've watched Gretzky make the same bad blind pass.  It happens to the best of them.  Also, we were never coming back from 2-0.  Let's be real...

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

In the minutes that PDG played?  He probably did contribute more than Petey did.  Petey was a -3 and gave up the puck that inevitably gave NAS the 3rd goal.  Not sure how you can argue that PDG contributed less than Petey did.

PDG was completely invisible last night.  Worst player on the ice.  How you can say Petey was worse is beyond me.  Mistakes happen in hockey.  37 blocked shots are what won Nashville the game.  Again, -3 is a team stat.  Garland, Lindholm and Joshua were all -2.  But I thought that line had a good game.  Just unfortunate they got scored upon.

Again, many bad passes last night.  One indirectly led to a goal.  If Petey doesn't miss the open net then nobody is shitting on him.  Hockey is a game of inches...

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

The Lotto Line has not been relevant for quite awhile now and they are definitely aren't going to do any better with this tighter checking. Who is going to forecheck on that line? :classic_biggrin:

Petey has been tried with pretty much every forward on the team. Its all on him now. 

well changing his position and wingers every other shift certainly ain't going to get him going.. hoglander is stapled to the bench.. as for the lotto line not being relevant? well it was relevant in january the last time they actually played them together for the entire game.. since then they haven't played a single game as a line from start to finish actually ahven't even started a game together.. hoglander have been irrelevant so far and dating back the last couple week of the season.. mikheyev well he has 1 goal in more than half a season.. laffety can't make a play at all.. we ain't winning this series if EP doesn't show up.. and his current wingers certainly doesn't help